Are we spoiled?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Sep 20, 2018.

1. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

With places like Musician's Friend, purchasing stuff is a breeze.

Pick any retailer you like. Does not have to be M/F. You dial into your account or call, place the order - free shipping, stuff is in stock - no dealing with obnoxious sales people or individuals three feet away trying to mimic Page, Hendrix, Van Halen, or whoever, at a volume and inability to hit the notes that it makes you cringe and reach for several aspirin.

I just bought a bunch of strings from M/F at what I deem a killer price. Easy. It wasn't like that twenty years ago. The local shops had limited supply and the deals were sparse. I'm not talking about just strings, but amps, guitars, and other music related gear. Today, local shops don't carry what I want. They can't match the killer deals on-line. The savings is tremendous, as is the product availability, selection, and ease of purchase. It's never been so good.

Are we spoiled?

This is the sting deal by the way...
    D'Addario EXL110 Nickel Wound Light Electric Guitar Strings Two-Pack at $6.49 PLUS a 15% off special. That's $5.52 for two sets. ($2.76 a set)
    Free Shipping ladies. :p:D
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...-guitar-strings-two-pack?rNtt=exl110&index=11
    I bought a bunch. :)
    Stock up friends!!! ;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  2. naveed211

naveed211 Member

3. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

Spoiled in so many ways - ease of purchase with reasonable return policies - huge improvement in the quality and playability of very affordable instruments - more pedals than anyone could try in a lifetime - more amp options both tube and solid state - digital modeling gear that sounds really really good and affords unheard of flexibility.

4. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

Add in the selection and overall quality of of even the cheapest of gear these days, absolutely spoiled.

pepedede, Teleman and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  5. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Member

I mean , the core tenets of knowledge gathering has fundamentally been changed ...

that would go for goods and services, commerce ... thinking big picture. Everything seems 'easier' these days

but as a child of web age I also yearn and appreciate the 'slower' times of the past , when commissions were given as much as pensions and media (not 1s and zeroes) but sound waves and words had value...

AT least I was still alive and relative aware pre AOL to be able to put it all into perspective. The worst part is hearing the younger generation put down the media, the output simply because they didn't have to wait all day on the radio just to tape it on a cassette for later listening.

Funny the sun definitely stays the same but I am one day and era older...

6. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I haven’t gotten there yet.

With the exception of one premeditated guitar purchase in ‘14, I’m still buying everything on the streets and in person.

teleman1 and Texsunburst59 like this.
  7. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Check out this Epiphone ES-295 that's marked down to $579.97 :eek:
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-es-295-hollow-body-electric-guitar
    I paid more than that some ten years ago for mine at the local dealer. That's what they were selling for. Don't like it, too bad - buy or fly was the shop's attitude.
    Yea, well I flew...right to the internet where I save a bundle, and get the gear I want with no hassle, no lip, no problems.
    Yea, I'm spoiled.
    Here's the ES-295 I purchased. In case you're wondering. I did the setup - including filing the nut slots, shaping the nut, and everything else a proper setup includes, which you'd expect an authorized dealer (who makes a bundle from the sale) to do.
    [​IMG]

jasevenny and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  8. 60cyclebum

60cyclebum Member

Absolutely. I know if it had been this easy to get quality gear at affordable prices and access this much knowledge/information back when I was starting out (mid 80s) I’d be a helluva lot better player by now.

NortheastHick and 70' s Tone like this.
  9. Colnago

Colnago Member

Yes, and I love it.
    I buy everything, that I can, online.
    I’m socially awkward and don’t really like leaving my house so it works for me.
    The selection is better and the service is better. Brick and mortar stores have a bunch to learn if they want to compete.

10. Russ73

Russ73 Member

I also appreciate that when you buy a piece of gear its comes to you sealed from the factory, without having been played by every kid in town, with we could get women that way as well in this day and age....

pepedede, Mbr0006 and 70' s Tone like this.
  11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Spoiled? Hell yes, in so many ways -- shopping avenues, baseline quality, internet educational opportunities.

This is not your father's 1980.

70' s Tone likes this.
  12. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

"The waiting is the hardest part".

pepedede and 70' s Tone like this.
  13. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Absolutely. $10k will get you anything you want from the Martin factory in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, while orchestral players wouldn’t dream of playing anything below $30k if they wanted to be taken seriously as musicians.

IAm MI likes this.
  14. orourke

orourke Member

I like to play a guitar before I buy it. Also, I like to pay in cash. I’ll buy cables, studio gear or maybe effects online but I’d rather shop in person.

I worry what might happen is big box store comes in, puts Mom and Pop out of business and then GC goes out of business and then your only choice might be buying online.

Personally I’m lucky because I live in NYC and I can walk down the street and hang out with Rick Kelly while he builds guitars at Carmine Street Guitars (just saw him a few hours ago), or I can sit around at Rudy’s and play some 8 thousand dollar guitar I ain’t never gonna buy. I love the social club guitar shop scene around here. Hanging out with other musicians and occasional celeb and shootin’ the shi*t is great. Every time one of those places goes away (like Matt Uminov or Ludow) it’s a sad day.

15. babbyb

babbyb Member

Any money is too much for 10s.

16. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

Not spoiled but blessed.

70' s Tone likes this.
  17. lcfparty35

lcfparty35 Member

I feel like I got linked to Musician's Friend.

70' s Tone likes this.
  18. mschafft

mschafft Member

Yes but at what price in terms of freedom and rights of workers in far East countries?

19. Kostas

Kostas Member

We are all spoiled because of the internet, we have a huge international market in our screens, the only thing we need is money. No matter if you live in a big city or in a mountain cabin you can order anything you want online. I'm sure we all have heard stories from past decades, I remember a guy telling me how in the 70's he walked a lot of km's to visit a guy who had the only Les Paul in town and probably in the country.

Americans (by far the more spoiled), Japanese, British and Germans you all have big stores (that means variety) that offer free shipping and 30 day return. These are not for granted in most parts of the world. Most classic brands of guitars & amps are also US made, that's important for export. Just ask Australians, the prices they get are even worse than us here in Europe.

Discount coupons? That's unheard here. I'm always jealous when I read about someone who combined several coupons and got something already on sale. Have you seen shops selling a 2010 Fender with a 2018 price? It's the norm here, shops don't discount last years models for the new ones. They keep 'em until they are sold and price them as the current models.

Yes, we are all spoiled, some way more than others. The ironic part is about production. The guitars, amps and pedals of today are made in higher standards (excluding relics of course...), we have HUGE variety, still many worship the past.

70' s Tone and Whogo like this.
  20. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I understand what you are saying.
    What about the guy/gal that lives in NYC that has to take the subway to get to and from these stores? I cannot imagine doing that. The subways in NYC are not pleasant. They are, in fact , quite dangerous. The same is true with Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, and several sections of Long Island (not the subway but the general environment).

"...or I can sit around at Rudy’s and play some 8 thousand dollar guitar I ain’t never gonna buy."
    That's great for you. I cannot imagine Rudy can sustain a living from folks that pop in and do that.

I appreciate and respect what you have said. I think it's a matter of choice - using the internet vs. brick and mortar.