Are we spoiled?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Sep 20, 2018.

1. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I appreciate your post. We do have it incredibly good here in the USA.

sonic carpenter likes this.
  2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

What is the right gauge? Asking for a friend...

3. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Tommy Biggs likes this.
  4. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Ever see how they package food in the "supermarkets" of many foreign countries?

We're spoiled, alright.

5. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

when the internet started, it was deemed tax free to order things online. This was to urge people to get into the internet, but im afraid it worked TOO well. Now everyone does everything through a screen. the deals should be in person since we are using gas to get there. doesnt make sense anymore for internet sales to be tax free.

6. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

7. caldera

caldera Member

Add to those factors the quality of gear across the board. Budget gear today matches stuff that cost a LOT more a decade or two ago.

8. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

Shopping is incredibly easy, the selection is enormous, the value for the dollar available is plain old jarring when you think about it, and the overall quality, range and power of gear is just amazing.

sonic carpenter and 70' s Tone like this.
  9. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Excellent point. ;)

10. Colnago

Colnago Member

The internet that use is not tax free. where do I sign up for that?

11. Pongo

Pongo Member

Heck yeah spoiled.

So many quality, affordable guitars, amps, pedals, and options available nowadays. You have so much free information and advice. Networking is so much easier.

Outside of the paralysis of possibilities and a few component/material issues, everything today is way better than it was 20 years ago!

70' s Tone likes this.
  12. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

I think certain states have to pay taxes now.

13. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Do I pay tax on Internet purchases?
    States will be able to charge sales tax on online purchases thanks to the Supreme Court. In a five-to-four decision issued today, the Supreme Court ruled that states can make online businesses collect sales taxes — even if they don't have a physical presence in that state.Jun 21, 2018
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/21/s...online-purchases-thanks-to-the-supreme-court/

NOTE: I belive it will take online companies time to do this.
    But when they do... :(

14. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

15. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Obviously the worldwide reach of the internet has given us access to instruments and other gear we never had prior. In that sense, I guess we're spoiled, and I can't complain. Even with a fair amount of touring and visits to music stores all over the country I can find stuff on the internet I've never seen in person. OTOH, I was doing this long before the internet and I have to admit I never felt like I couldn't find what I wanted back then. Even though the number of instruments available was a very tiny fraction of what you can find today, plenty of great guitars were within reach. And buying was a much more personalized experience. In 1970, I traded in my Acoustic 150 amp for an Ampeg V4 stack at a local shop. The owner went to the club I was playing (several SoCal cities over from his store), picked up my old amp, and set my new one up on the stage. Get UPS to do that.

16. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I live across the street from a music store. They have the strings I like. Whenever it is time to get more strings I go there.

I rarely buy things online. But recently I did twice. I ordered some KT66 power tubes for my Reeves Custom 30 amplifier. And my mother in law gave me a $50 Amazon gift card. I ordered Repository Of Scales And Melodic Patterns by Yusef Lateef and a two record set by Earth- The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull.

17. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Are we spoiled?
    When I read about players who:
    - demand that the fretboard on their Les Paul be milled off and replaced with a slab of wood and mother of pearl inlays they own that they feel are better than factory,
    -want it done within a week by a top notch busy guitar repair/mod shop who would need to skip their Les Paul to the front of the line,
    -find it inexcusable should it take more than a week, and
    - cast aspersions and insults at those skilled craftspeople doing the work when it isn't promised soon enough to their liking,

then yeah, I'd say we're extremely spoiled.

18. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

I worked hard for my ridiculous amount of gear. That said, we are spoiled with instant gratification.

19. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Compared to the variety and craftsmanship of affordable instruments when I was growing up today is mind-boggling.

ssdeluxe and Jugghaid like this.
  20. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

Living in Canada means I have the web access to look at all the goodies, but don't buy much since most of the big online companies either don't ship here or charge a small fortune. That's ok, I still prefer to try out gear in person when possible (especially guitars and amps).

ssdeluxe likes this.