Are we spoiled?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Sep 20, 2018.

1. caldera

caldera Member

In many states you just need to buy from a retailer that does not have a physical presence in that state. Like if you buy from GC, you'll get charged sales tax but if you buy from MF, you won't.

One of the reasons I buy online, or I ask for a discount for the amount of sales tax.

sonic carpenter likes this.
  2. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

No.

They made it easier for us to buy things from them, and in term prices are typically higher and flatter across the board from one retailer to another. We're paying for the convenience one way or another.

ssdeluxe likes this.
  3. blackspider57

blackspider57 Member

You are only spoiled if you do not appreciate the goodness of your circumstances.
    It sounds like everyone here does.
    I know I do :)

ssdeluxe, Colnago and 70' s Tone like this.
  4. orourke

orourke Member

I’ve been working in Soho for about 27 years but I live way in the North Bronx, spent over 2 hours in the subway today (it was a circus, I saw some weird stuff).

The guys at Rudy’s don’t mind me hanging out. The point is some of these guitar shops are real social scene’s like a small town barbershop. It’s a minor tragedy when theses places close down.

But I understand that being able to order anything from anywhere is great for the majority of musicians that don’t have access to stores that or cool or even not so cool.

5. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I shop around and want the biggest bang for my hard earned dollars.
    Musicians Friend always bets the competitor - hands down.
    Shopping with them is not only convenient, a pleasure, and rewarding, it saves me a bundle. ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  6. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I understand and appreciate the social aspect - it's invaluable. I, too, hate to see local shops close down. I just like to get the most from my dollar and like the convenience and hassle-free aspect of online shopping.

Rudy has been in business for many years. His shop is first rate from what I can tell from pics. Hope he remains in business and is profitable. I also believe his clientele is a bit different from the run-of-the-mill shop - celebrity status.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    orourke likes this.
  7. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I also rarely order stuff online (other than Lovepedals direct!) I'm spoiled from being able to go get stuff in person and try them out first when that applies. Or not have to wait if I need something. Once in a while I order online, but that's mostly because online stores have changed the industry and it's become harder to find stuff in stores. From my point of view (which I realize isn't shared by a lot of people) spoiled takes on a different meaning, gear shopping has been largely spoiled by the internet to me..

27sauce likes this.
  8. paul1122

paul1122 Member

Back in the 70s you had to wait 6 weeks for something to be delivered. Now, 3 days free shipping. I want to support the couple of local shops, but when they charge 8 bucks for a pack of EB Slinky. I can't do that. I just ordered a 12 pack and it worked out to be 3.50 a pack. If it was a dollar or two it would be different.

Colnago likes this.
  9. Colnago

Colnago Member

My local store used to awesome, then it got sold. The new owner brings in low end product and charges high end prices for it. There's no selection. The same staff work there and don't even wonder why things have died down. There is no need for me to even step foot in there except for me to say hi to the old staff and look at dusty low end product.

10. Colnago

Colnago Member

That sounds more like "entitled" than "spoiled". Spoiled, for the most part, means that we realize it. Entitled on the other hand...we can do without.

11. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Actually the sun expands every day, albeit a miniscule amount.
    4 billion years from now it'll be a red giant that has already swallowed the 4 inner planets
    (yeah, that includes us!)
    I think we have enough time to score some great gear until then. :banana

12. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

Exactly! I never thought I'd be playing guitar through my computer, but the sound is awesome and I have so many toanz available!

HesNot likes this.
  13. sonic carpenter

sonic carpenter Member

I dont buy amps unlrss i cam play them. Gc doesnt stock marshalls and thus why i never heard of the astoria models until i visited marshall factory in the uk

14. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

I'm very spoiled. Not only do we have great online stores with a ridiculous selection, I have some local stores that are not only top notch, they have a great selection and cross-section of gear.

I probably buy 80% local 20% online for major purchases. Depends on who has what I am looking for and if I stumble across a killer deal. That happens online and in-store.

So far this year I have purchased 8 guitars, 1 bass, 1 amp head and 2 cabs.

6 of the guitars, the bass, the amp head and 1 cab were local. I try and support local businesses and most of the shops here are very competitive with the box online stores like MF and Sweetwater. I rape and pillage the local GC's for their used inventory regularly.

My favorite local shop (Drum City Guitar Land) gets my first look whenever I am looking to buy. If it's a product line they don't carry then I will hit up Wildwood or one of the other several shops that deal in good high end gear here in Denver. for Fender, Gibson or PRS they are my first stop.

Occasionally I find "the one" online and have got some smoking deals from Sweetwater and MF over the years.

I'm also extremely fortunate that I can afford my hobbies. That wasn't always the case so I am thankful that I can spoil myself. It's nice once you aren't paying for college tuition for the kids and have the bills knocked out.

15. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

Yup, if I coulda/woulda have known just how easy getting all my guitar needs would be after say 2001, I would simply have waited to be born in say 1980 instead of the '50s,...

...and then I think I would have missed out on covering/playing some of the best Music ever put out/released, and a time I would call simply Magical,...the Summertime's were always so 'special' because we all went from some of the sh!tiest Instrument's we ALL at my time had to start out with,...

...to what I still say to be the Best (and I don't give a damn as to whatever Rocket ship scientist here sez the age of the wood doesn't matter) wood, wire, and the tastiest pups known to ever exist (everybody and their Brother is trying to copy them now),...

...all the way down to the amps we used, the Drum shells we had available,...Yup, I would have had to miss all of that 'mess' just to get a couple of sets of strings on the cheap (even though I refuse to by strings in 'Multi-Pkg.' form, individual pkg. set for me all the way),...

...or a mass produced Instrument on the 'Cheap', but mostly...I would have had to miss all of the good times of that whole period, and the memories I have of it. Tom

70' s Tone likes this.
  16. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Did you get that Epiphone you've been hankering for? :)

17. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Life is good! ;)

Jugghaid likes this.
  18. FLYING V 83

:D

I did have this one years ago, a Japan 2007.
    See, they CAN do the headstock right if they wanted to!
    [​IMG]

70' s Tone likes this.
  19. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

20. FLYING V 83

:aok Pretty close.
    Sorta reminds me of this, my '89 Korean Custom
    [​IMG]

70' s Tone likes this.