Are we spoiled?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Sep 20, 2018.

1. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Wow, very nice indeed.
    It even has the split diamond inlay on the headstock.
    Impressive. ;)

Is that the original nut? It's black - never seen that.

2. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I've done work to it over the years.
    Was my main gigging guitar until this year actually.
    That's a precut Tusq nut, the pups are from an old Epi V (10.5 neck, 13.8 bridge!), I added the B70 last year.

3. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Yes in a way but things change. I remember when walking into a well stocked music store was almost a magical experience. I remember seeing my first really nice guitar.....now everything is pretty nice. I constantly hear the term "running the racks" (hate that term BTW).. Before the internet, big box stores you were lucky for a choice of a couple or you found something a little odd or offbeat but it was still fun.

4. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

We’re whiny guitar players... we need to be coddled and reassured of our need to exist. ;)

70' s Tone likes this.
  5. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Speak for yourself. LOL. ;):)

6. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I am perhaps even more jazzed about the quality for the price. Thank globalization and computer aided design, but the quality of a $1000 guitar today is better than the $2000 ones of my youth easily, and I can get any color or pickup combo I want.

70' s Tone likes this.
  7. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I have always felt blessed more or less in the guitar world when I compare myself to you addicted internet buying kids. It is not your fault, it is what you grew up with and were presented, so, it is very natural to you. My family wasn't into big bucks and hand me downs, except for underwear, were around and anything I wanted big, like a bike, would be bought used and upgraded after purchase. I have calculated and figured and bought one or two guitars on the net, but, they did not turn out to my expectations. Brick and Morter is where it should be at, but the young generation will and is changing that for better or worse. I guess brick and mortar could come back. But with Amazon even in on shipping, the only brick and mortar we may have left is the gas station and convenience store within. What most of you don't understand is that it is disbursement of wealth and odds are your not going to be a winner. What I also bet will happen is sexuality will come to a bizarre turn cause communication to talk and make dates happens more than the dates. Everyone looking for their perfect; without touching seeing in 3d, smelling, and tasting. Your gonna wind up with a wild Hyena with gum disease and a bad attitude. Hey, I just described my Millennial:anon:rotflmao friends wife!:rotflmao Found her on the dark web.

8. JukeBoxRat

JukeBoxRat Member

I love brick and mortar guitar shops. That said, I also love the snot out of Reverb and online shopping. I'm finding stuff I wanted back in the 90s when I had even less $ than I have now.

I also remember ordering my Voodoo Labs tremolo pedal from the Fiend sometime in the mid-90s. I sat on hold on the phone waiting to order for most of Neil Young's Everybody Knows This is Nowhere album (which I had on the stereo) with my brother breathing down my neck since he was waiting on a call from his girlfriend and I was hogging the phone. Online ordering is freaking amazing compared to that.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 12:26 AM
  9. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

I agree. Due to CNC machines and the overall experience of the factory workforce, it seems there are great guitar builders in every corner of the globe. Entry level guitars might lack some things that a professional level guitar would have (such as better electronics and better finishing) but they are a far cry from what an entry level guitar was in the mid-80s. Just take a look at the lineup of guitars Cort offers now compared to what they offered in 1986 when they were sold in the Sears Catalog.

10. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    The trade-off, as I see it, is that when I was young and starting to play guitar in the 1950's, when we went to a music store, the guitars there were all of good quality, like Gibson, Martin, Fender, Gretsch. You didn't have to go to every store in a 50 mile radius to find that one guitar. And no one did that. Also, every store knew that it's competition was offering 40% off on all gear, so they all did it. No having to beg or hassle with price.

While today, we can see many of one type of guitar from which to choose, while the variety is there, so is the variation within one model on tone, playability, et. al.

There will always be trade-offs. Whether it is good for you or not, will depend on how and where you were brought up.

I know that while I don't mind having to do 99% of my business on the net, there is always a risk when buying guitars over the net, if you do not know how to find a person who knows enough to help you choose one, from questions you ask over the phone, about a given piece of gear.

In that regard, I consider myself very lucky, and fortunate to have come across the right people. Without them, I would possibly never find gear which I was satisfied with.

In the old days, you got a piece of gear, and were satisfied and happy with it, and never thought about the stuff we do today, when buying gear. We didn't worry about the minuetia. It was never discussed, written about or thought about, until some life-changing event caused it to happen...like getting to visit guitar factories and speaking with the luthiers building there.

When I first went to the Guild factory in Newark, NJ for a repair I was 13 years old. The builders there were asking me about neck size, feel, a lot of what is common knowledge today. Once I understood what they were speaking about, my world got far more complicated, but when I spoke with luthiers at other companies when I was doing business with them, things became more exacting and they were happy that I had the knowledge. I spoke their language.

11. twotone

twotone Member

I'm not crazy about buying guitars online. I prefer to try them out first.

12. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

Are you complaining or just feeling guilty?
    Otherwise, why shed light on it?

13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Fixed it for you. ;)

14. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Agreed, the quality of guitars made today (overall) has improved big-time.