• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Are you a Gear Evangelist?

Toowoombaus

Hi, do you find your self steering the conversation toward your favorite gear topics when you are with other musicians? (Boutique/Vintage)

Do you exert your influence and try to sway your bandmates decision when they are buying a new piece of equipment?

Have you ever bought a bandmate gear, and had them pay you back later just so they don't buy something lame?

Have you ever brought gear over to someones house or rehearsal just so they could experience how awesome it is because they are in the market, because you really want them to get the best, and without your expertise they might get something that's not so hot?

Do you consider yourself a snob? In the best way of course, when it comes to musical equipment?

If you answered yes to three of these questions you may be a Gear Evangelist...

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I plug Reverend guitars any chance I get. The guitars are great but the people are even better. I've built a great relationship with them so I plan to always support the company and encourage players to give them consideration.

guitarjazz

Hi, do you find your self steering the conversation toward your favorite gear topics when you are with other musicians? (Boutique/Vintage)

Do you exert your influence and try to sway your bandmates decision when they are buying a new piece of equipment?

Have you ever bought a bandmate gear, and had them pay you back later just so they don't buy something lame?

Have you ever brought gear over to someones house or rehearsal just so they could experience how awesome it is because they are in the market, because you really want them to get the best, and without your expertise they might get something that's not so hot?

Do you consider yourself a snob? In the best way of course, when it comes to musical equipment?

Not since adulthood.

gixxerrock

I let the other guitar player in my band borrow all kinds of nice guitars or amps for weeks at a time or bring nice rig to rehearsal for him sometimes. It gives him a chance to get experience with a variety of good stuff he wouldn't otherwise without buying. We also sometimes swap rigs for a few songs, I can make his rig sound really good. I just want him to figure out what works for him and sounds good.

Toowoombaus

I let the other guitar player in my band borrow all kinds of nice guitars or amps for weeks at a time or bring nice rig to rehearsal for him sometimes. It gives him a chance to get experience with a variety of good stuff he wouldn't otherwise without buying. We also sometimes swap rigs for a few songs, I can make his rig sound really good. I just want him to figure out what works for him and sounds good.
Good man!

bgmacaw

I often recommend Rondo SX guitars for those looking for something decent on a low budget.

rangerkarlos

I'm probably the opposite.

Advocating playable affordable gear.

Taking my Asian built acoustic to a picking circle of Martins and rare woodcraft.

Digging weird mutt guitars and old mail order catalog gems..

I do however steer clear of junk, advising to buy the best you can afford. Buy once- cry once. Especially PA gear.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Only if people ask. Usually they ask "What's a Heritage?" and I explain the story to them. If they're clean and sober and there's no big crowd around I might let them pick a few notes.

All the other gear is pretty self explanatory.

sixty2strat

;)
ONLY WHEN ASKED FOR HELP. Years ago the Other guitarist in my a band wanted a new amp as is JTM30 kept burning up OT. We when to a store and played a range of current fender products as he loved Keefs Exile tone and I explained them to him in detail. then went to a shop that had used gear and found a 76Super Reverb for 500.00. 2 seconds in I knew it was the amp. Pretty soon he knew it to but I suggested we go back and try the new ones. I knew the he Knew I go old but I wantd to be fair, went back plugged in and left in 5 minutes.

I do preach on about things I think that are over looked...70's FF made in Jersey, Dano 12 strings, Roland space echo before it got hip, Celestion black back and gray back speakers, Guild Acoustics.... but never to brag always to hip a person to a thing they might like.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member

The first 4 questions = no

The 5th question = positively, definitely maybe

Trending Topics

Top Bottom