Are you a hoarder or a flipper?

Hoarder or flipper?

• I keep (nearly) every pedal I buy

Votes: 162 57.7%
  • If I buy a new pedal, one usually has to go

Votes: 119 42.3%

• Total voters

philh27

Do you collect pedals or operate either a loose or strict 'one in one out' system?

The latter for me. I have plenty of regrets; Yamaha 1005 analogue delay, early 70s Colorsound wah/ fuzz/ swell amongst them, but generally if I decide I want to try something new or if it's not on my board, it gets sold. I have a few cheapo pedals that have little resale value that act as emergency spares, but the only pedal I will not sell under any circumstances is my 70s MXR flanger. I always try to find a place on my board, but I usually don't 'need' a flanger. It is on my shelf at the moment!

e-flat

Supporting Member
I don’t have a strict “one in, one out” policy, but I’ve never been one to collect pedals just to have them. So I’m more of the “flipper” type in your poll.

The only pedals I don’t sell anymore are those I’ve kept for myself from the batches I’ve made to sell. I’ve started keeping one of each, and I wish I’d started that years ago so I’d have a good assortment of everything I’d ever built.

Gallery

Supporting Member
Hoarder

...because I can often find unique tones that I can appreciate and use in most everything I buy.

That said I do sell pedals that tend to sit in their boxes for long periods of time.

Funky54

I was gonna put Lover but you beat me to it.

I don’t know what I am, I guess a flipper, but my collection has grown just a tad beyond my board. I’m at about 13 pedals with 8 on my board. I don’t need anything past the 8. The little board is just back up flip flop experiment kinda thing. It’s mostly cheap pedals.

I think all that’s needed are 3-4 mod/time based pedals and a drive & fuzz.

In truth nobody cares.. you could do 1 drive, 1 Delay and one phase and do it all.

70 Mach 1

Supporting Member
I keep em unless they're a total pos like the pigtronix disnortion
Then i just throw on the flea bay or cl and take the loss.

adolan

Wait, No one has said "I'm a flipping Hoarder" yet?

I don't own enough to be either/or, I think all told right now I am at 20 something pedals, maybe 12 get reg use...If I had endless money and space I'd keep them all.

CoreyW

Silver Supporting Member
A bit of both, I have a decent collection and do sometimes sell off some pedals, but that is generally to find other things I want

kstrat62

Supporting Member
Wait, No one has said "I'm a flipping Hoarder" yet?

I don't own enough to be either/or, I think all told right now I am at 20 something pedals, maybe 12 get reg use...If I had endless money and space I'd keep them all.
I'm a flippin' hoarder! I do a little of both but I've bought pedals that I flipped so much that I really to keep good pedals if I can swing it.

Atmospheric

For a long time, finances dictated that I had to sell something to buy something. But I've definitely never been a hoarder of anything. I hate clutter.

But lately, especially since coming back to the pedal fold from the modeling world, I'm trying to be more granular about it.

Rule #1: No white elephants. I just hate paying big $$ for something that doesn't ultimately stick, and which I cannot sell easily for most of what I put into it. This is why I'm returning my MP Dual Blue Delay, and why I tend to try before buying with GC. I have 45 days to try something that might be a white elephant, and walk away if I need to. For pedals with more mainstream appeal, I do buy used and/or b-stock.

Rule #2: If it's musical, keep it. Even if it doesn't fit into what I'm doing at the moment. Currently, my rat clone fits this bill. I'm not using it now, but if I ever do need a rat clone, it's one of the very best. It seems silly to flip it for $100 short term dollars.

I don't buy music gear I have not used before extensively. Gear is almost always on my list for years before I actually buy it.
Buying gear to see if I like it then deciding to keep or sell is a waste of time for me. I quit that nonsense in the 80's. Exception was some amps about a dozen years ago. There was a few amps I wanted to own and did not intend to keep most of them. I have amps in every room in my home and really don't need more.

Trending Topics