Are you a hoarder or a flipper?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by philh27, Jun 16, 2019.

Hoarder or flipper?

1. I keep (nearly) every pedal I buy

162 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. If I buy a new pedal, one usually has to go

119 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. philh27

philh27 Member

Ah, ok. Wrong terminology. But 'a one-in- one - out' doesn't sound very elegant. Needs work.....

eigentone likes this.
  2. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Live I don't depend on pedals, i depend on my playing skill.
    In the studio, I use everything but the kitchen sink. I throw the owners manuals away and try to find creative ways to use them , in creative combinations, constantly looking for that unique sound.

I am not really a hoarder, I just have them laying around.
    But , I flip them, now and then I go through all of my music storage areas and sell off a bunch of stuff, I am about to do that this week.

I have no rule or method to it.

songtalk likes this.
  3. fitzo

fitzo Greybeard Silver Supporting Member

While I have never had any issue trading in guitars and amps, I have always kept my pedals, primarily from an aversion to encountering the dickweeds in the secondary market. My bro-in-law (a guitar playing frontman) can haul them in en masse to a dealer when I kick and take whatever they offer to toss in his college fund for the triplets. He doesn't use pedals, so he'll have no idea how badly he's getting hosed.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I flipped em 4 years back some eons ago but mainly for profit.:hide2 U know the typical Timmy, KOT, Zendrive and a few others. It was a fun easy way to make extra money and just learn some different things along the way. If I could still do it now, I would. I haven't bought a new pedal in god knows how long. I may get a new delay just to try something new in the world of echo.

5. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I’ve given away some, but most of the pedals I’ve ever owned, I own.

I’m about to start working on that with a purpose though, since there are quite a few of them that NEVER make it into the board.

6. keenan

keenan Member

Overall, I am flipper- I really have no problem selling something I am not using. Only 2 exceptions:

(1) I have sold some one-offs, that have really made me sad (a Skinpimp Hindenburg graphic MKii/FF toggle, with battery door comes to mind- I begged the guy to sell it back to me and he basically told me to fuzz off). If I am looking to round up some money, any one-offs, etched pedals, discontinued pedals... anything that isn't a dime a dozen on reverb or emporium, even though they are quickest to sell, I'd rather find something more common if possible.
    (2) If it is a utility item and/or worth <$100, there is very little incremental spending power associated with selling it. I'd file DD-7s, TU-2s, a Clyde Standard with a huge ding in it, into this category. I suppose the PP2+ that I have boxed up falls in this category too, I'd sell it if I needed the money, but the chances that I will need it again at some point, are fairly high.

7. 3940bigdaddy

3940bigdaddy Supporting Member

Before I buy any pedal it has to be TGP approved. LOL. I typically buy pedals that are proven and have been normally around for years. I tend to keep them. Lately I been selling some of them since I got my Axe FX8 Mark 2.;););)

8. JCU

JCU Gold Supporting Member

Hoarder but because I rarely have time to sell. I do collect from time to time, with Ibanez Tone Lok and Modded Boss being the latest, but most can go to a live a productive life in somebody’s pedalboard.

I guess that I will sell them when I retire, and use the money to drink coffee, buy birthday presents, and keep the dogs healthy.

9. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I still have a 1970 Cry baby, and a Boss Ch-1 I bought in '92, so i'm more of a hoarder. I did flip a Boss Leslie pedal, got a great deal on it knowing I could sell it for more if I didn't like it. It sounded good, but not much like a Leslie, I could get just as close with my Dano Cool Cat Vibe.

10. aisling

aisling Silver Supporting Member

I’ve been a hoarder, at least afraid and paralyzed to let go, but I reached out for help, and sold my first pedal on reverb a few weeks ago (priced to sell). Now if I actually get the funds from that first sale, I’m letting go of a lot (priced to sell).

11. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

I have to try all the phasers to find the one I like the best and no stores carry all the pedals I want to try so I buy and buy, then to Muffs then to varieties of Muffs then to MAIB then TAIB then try all the vibes is this passion or mania.

12. HiddenAgenda

HiddenAgenda Member

I'll sell stuff not being used if I can get close to break even or above.

If It looks like a 50% loss then there's no point, I'll just keep it. Someday it will be a collectable antique.:banana

13. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

This is very much my mindset with gear, and not just with pedals. If I'm not currently making use of a piece of gear I'm usually happy to see it get used by a friend. My first guitar has spent way more time in the possession of other people than myself.

I largely subscribe to this philosophy, at least with more expensive pedals.

Broadly speaking, my pedals fall into three categories:
    • "Expensive" (more than 100 NZD)
    • "Cheap" (less than 100 NZD)
    • "Very cheap" (less than 25 NZD)
    Every pedal of mine valued over 100 NZD is something that I considered carefully, often for months (or even years) before purchasing. Most of them are currently on my board, but the four that are not are still things I have use for - it's always good to have a Boss TU2 lying around, my crybaby still sounds great even if it's awkward to put on my board, and my Red Witch Grace and Violet make for a great little battery powered setup.

The "cheap" pedals not currently on my board are a little bit more varied - I want to keep my Joyo American sound because having an amp sim pedal is very handy, but my belcat delay is rather worn out after doing its tour of duty. There would be little point in selling a cheap delay with intermittent switch issues though.

The "very cheap" pedals were largely bought on a whim, and even if I only ever played them once or twice they are worth the money I paid. None of them are currently on my board (although the cheap strauss chorus was for quite a while) and all of them I'd be very happy to lend (or give) to friends to mesas around with.

All up I think I have 22 pedals, which seems a lot to me now until I consider that I collected them over the course of 15 years. Only 9 are currently on my board, but that hasn't prevented the others from getting used. They don't take up that much storage space, and if I tried to sell I'd get a pittance for most of the pedals not currently on my board anyway.

monty and stephen sawall like this.
  14. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

I’m a bit of a hoarder. I love revisiting gear I don’t use regularly.

songtalk, wstsidela and fitzo like this.
  15. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

16. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I think your expectations may be a bit high. I don't come to TGP expecting elegance. ;)

17. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

That's not what that means. :waiting

At least I've never heard it used for that purpose.

18. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I've always hoarded and flipped. A month or so ago, I realized that I had almost 60 pedals! I've since sold or given away about 15 pedals. I've got a few more to go.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  19. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I don't have a strict policy but generally, if something is coming in, something is also going out.

20. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

Has it gone out of fashion, been declared immoral and/or illegal, or has the word collector just been banned from the lexicon? :huh

LordThurisaz likes this.