Are you a neck PU or a bridge PU player?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by joebloggs13, Mar 30, 2020.

1. CrispyTone

CrispyTone Member

Lately I've been a middle position player, splitting the humbuckers on the SG, or using the 2nd or 3rd position toggle switch on the Strat.

2. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Neck for clean to medium gain, bridge from medium-to-high. I prefer hot bridge pickups and cleaner, more articulate neck pickups. With coil-splits, I find that my best rhythm sounds often come from the split-middle position.

3. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Neck: most used for blues & pop

Bridge: most used for country & rock

I switch & split pickups to change my sound. Lately I use this to change tone more than a pedal. I never played a gig with just one pickup selected.

4. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I was playing in a country band last year, playing a tele. I was on the middle a LOT of the time, neck for some jazzy stuff and bridge a lot for twangy. But I probably spent most of my time on the middle, for rhythm, which is 90% of a gig anyway.

Now, I'm playing in a blues/rock band playing a strat, mostly neck and position #2, though I use the middle and neck a fair bit. Rarely use position #4 live, though I use it recording sometimes.

Played a 335 (H535 really) for a while doing a duo, just a jumble - old rock stuff, blues, some countryish stuff, even a bossa nova and I was all over. I love the neck on it clean or with just some break up, bridge when I kick in the OD. The middle on a 335 is a wonderful thing. I could live there and just vary the balance of the two pickups. Did some blues stuff on it, man, the neck of a 335 is great for jazzy/blues stuff.

I don't usually switch pickups in the middle of a solo, like on the same verse, for like going to the bridge for one lick and then back to the neck, like some people do. Great skill, I just never really got great at it. But yea, if I take 2 verses, I often changes pickups from one to the next.

So I guess I'm a whatever pickup suits my needs for the song, at this moment.

5. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

Bridge. In most bands that I've been in, it's either been a three piece where the bass player is really good and needs the sonic real estate to be heard better than most bass players, or the band is a quartet with another guitar player, and for whatever reason, every guitar player I've played with is obsessed with sounding fat. For that reason, I have to stick to the bridge PU to be heard without having to compensate with too much volume.

However, there are songs where I'll play with the neck. Usually just for stuff where I'm trying to stay low and in the background, or keep the song more dark than balanced. I'll often play with my fingers, instead of a pick, when playing with the neck pickup to further the tonal effect.

In any case, I don't choose the pickup position based on what I like best. I choose it based on what the song needs. So in essence, it's not really up to me. I just do what I need to do to make the song better.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

would you mind elaborating? I've never had an acoustic sound hole pickup so I'm not sure what you mean. Thanks

7. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

That's like asking me if I would eat either bacon or steak on any given day.

The answer is 'yes'.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Two pickup guitars.

Neck is essentially a special effect for me. When I need to drop a bit lower and fuller in the mix. Or a faux Hammond/Leslie effect with a fast chorus.

Middle for rhythm. Bridge for rhythm when it's a bit more driving or muted.

Bridge for leads or cutting parts. Unless the song is spacious. Then middle can work great for leads.

But the neck is the least used for me.

9. seantk

seantk Supporting Member

Most of the time it is the neck PU, but I use the other ones too.

10. dazco

dazco Member

I play mostly a strat and I don't discriminate. I use both a lot but for different things. *In general* the bridge for more gainy chords and single note lines below the 12th fret, and the neck i use mostly for slightly driven to clean tones for all sorts of things. Especially hendrix like chords and double stops etc. I use the guitar volume to clean up for that. I also use the neck for gainy single notes above the 0th fret. I love that tone.

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Why wouldn't you use all the pickup options on your guitar?

Seems like an odd question.

12. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

Strat middle pickup on its own = a thing of beauty.

That being said, it's difficult to snuff at a bridge P90 running through a treble booster into a LOUD amp :bow

13. ColoradoKT

ColoradoKT Member

Funny how little comments like these can be so helpful! Thank you for sweetening my tone now, too

14. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

Neck, or neck & bridge together. Never bridge alone.

15. gonzoknife

gonzoknife Member

Mostly bridge. I could probably get by with only one pickup with a volume and tone.

16. Cosmiceddie

Cosmiceddie Member

I use the bridge humbucker for dirt sounds only. The neck humbucker I only play distorted when using a Wah pedal.

I never use the bridge humbucker for clean sounds. So for cleans I only use the neck humbucker.

17. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

I move back and forth, even within songs. Thats regardless of whether Im rocking on my Les Paul, or cranking out some blues on my tele or strat. Pickups present a tonal option, totally up to you if or how you want to use those options.

18. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Depends on the guitar.
    Example: with my Gretsch Black Falcon ( Filertrons) the bridge for hard rock, both neck and bridge for roots / Americana and the neck for blues / gospel and jazz.
    I add the "mud" switch for old school jazz and the "woman" tone .. add a fuzz.

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  19. BrianOlsen

BrianOlsen Member

20. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson is Tio's favorite Silver Supporting Member

HB bridge
    SC neck
    FB middle