Are you a pedal pessimist or optimist??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by josiahmac, Aug 12, 2019.

Pedal pessimist or optimist?

1. They all suck...

9 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. So many amazing sounds, how do I choose?!

79 vote(s)
    89.8%
  1. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

I’m so sick of watching these pedal shows and reviews where they’re speechless over everything they plug in! I was looking over my gear table with thousands of dollars in high end pedals and I can’t find one I like. I’ve bought so many highly regarded pedals and sold them immediately.

I thought, something’s deeply wrong with me. Or is it? Maybe there’s others?

2. d10221

d10221 Member

Millions of flies can't be wrong .
    can they ?

3. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

I've never bought a pedal that I couldn't find a way to enjoy, and I've bought some nasty pedals in my time (and some really nice ones too).

Take the Belcat DLY-303 for instance. It's a cheap "analog" delay that's noisy, has limited delay time, and has quirky on/off characteristics - the switch affects whether the output of the delay chip is added in rather than affecting whether the input of the pedal is routed to the delay chip. Even when off it leaks delay signal to other pedals if it shares daisy chained power. The only real workable setting was with the knobs pretty much all the way up...

...and I loved it. Leaning into that one setting was actually pretty magical, even if I had to repair the switch three times (which actually just meant restretching a spring - the external switch just pushed a spring onto a smaller internal switch).

MoonshineMan and cratz2 like this.
  4. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

There are so many cool sounds that have been made that aren't right done the groove of the oush-in-edge-of-breakup.
    I do not thrill to many of the sounds that are pedestaled around here.
    So.Damn.Boring...to me.

There is a [place for just about any sound, even silence.

ChampReverb and cratz2 like this.
  5. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

There's a lot of truth in that for me, but then again, given how wide the range of sounds people enjoy, most should be able to relate to that comment.

lefort_1 likes this.
  6. Ps28

Ps28 Member

I'm a pedal surrealist.

7. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

You might get better luck in the guitar or amp forum hehe.

monty and dshobe like this.
  8. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

Pedal reviewers and car reviewers are predicated upon friendly relationships with manufacturers. They are really unlikely to say that anything is truly bad even if it is. A lot of reviews are basically just an advertisement.

sanfi4u, korgi, Tung-Sol Tube and 3 others like this.
  9. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

The music is in you, not in any pedal.
    The minute you lose sight of that, you're headed over the cliff and onto the rocks.

10. Madsen

Madsen Member

When I'm shopping for a sound I prefer the reviews where no one says anything and I can hear the actual pedal.

Sometimes a brief history lesson on where the sound came from is nice. Just the facts though, no gushing & straight to the playing & moving knobs around.

HoweFan likes this.
  11. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

Nothing wrong with not liking pedals. Might be something wrong with repeatedly investing so much money in them when you don't like them.

12. WillLane

WillLane Member

If that is your problem, I highly doubt its a pedal's fault. Check your amp, check your guitar, check your playing, check your ability to dial stuff in. Start simple, no extreme settings. Add a pedal to add to the sound, not change it entirely. If you're dealing with pedals like the Strymon Trinity you'll need to take some time with them. Brew some coffee and have fun.
    -
    I'm a pessimist in the sense that there are a billion Klones and TS9's and all of their companies want my money because they think their pedal is the best and most revolutionary clone of them all. I am confident I could get 95% of the way any other Klone or TS9 can get with any basic Klone/TS9, so I don't need 5 of each from different companies just for subtle differences. Unless you need like low cut/boosts or things like that, major changes to the circuit like that are somewhat different stories.

I think you can get great tones with a FD2, Soul Food, or regular TS9. You don't have to have the $300-$400 boxes to sound good. But they are nice to have and maybe that 5% is functionality/sound that gives you an edge.

StratmanSteve and ThinPaperWings like this.
  13. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

I seem to go from "Best pedal ever!" to "Why did I waste $$$?" in about a fortnight, then cycle them back in to see if they're keepers.

But not one single pedal? That's a bit odd to me, as my Orange amps have no reverb (or delay or Dimension C or phaser ...) but great dirt tone.

14. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Member

I think it’s important to ask “what does the song ask for?” Then immediately ignore that **** because if I listened to the song I would plug straight into an amp with a little bit of breakup every single time. Sometimes I want to use a whammy pedal, dammit.

tobereleased likes this.
  15. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

There’s been few pedals i thought actually sounded terrible. It was more of not my sound, not my style, not a good fit for my amp or guitar,etc. I’ve heard pedals I’ve had played by other people and it sounds great, i play it, nah, sounds bad. I’ve even had other people tell me my tone was great and I’m like nah, didn’t like that Od. Idk anymore, just play what you like.

16. shawnerie

shawnerie Member

I think the issue probably lies with your amp and/or guitar; without the pedals do you like your guitar sound directly into your amp? If not, maybe those things should be changed first. I see the guitar as the first and key part of the equation, and that’s what the pedals have to work with. What sort of amp and guitar are you playing?
    Next it’s about dialing in the sound; do you have a reference sound that you wish to aim for? If you don’t then perhaps the approach is to listen to your sound and to see how it is different from your ideal sound and make adjustments to bridge the gap.

17. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

It is annoying to watch shows where they are sounding pretty weak and yet they are raving like they discovered butter for the first time. Most pedals are meh. Some are amazing. Some are complete ****.

HugoLC likes this.
  18. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

I’ve really gotten over pedals. I can’t keep up with this craze of boutique pedals that make you sound like everything but your guitar. I can’t get my head around it. So you don’t want to play a guitar properly so you buy a box that makes it sound like an algorithm, like you just fired up your computer and you can spend the night staring at your f*ckin’ shoes? C’mon man…

I know I’ll get sh*t for saying this, but it’s f*cking lazy. It’s insulting to people who spent 35 years playing and learning, like a lot of players. And we continue to work at it! These guys can barely play a chord but call themselves soundscapists. Get the f*ck outta here! It’s bullsh*t. There’s so much masking and spin going on there. Can we get real for a minute? What do you actually play? Pick up an acoustic guitar… try that!

19. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I don't think all pedals suck, but I do think a lot of them are way overpriced. The boutique market is ridiculous and a lot of it IMO is not worth the money, especially with overdrives and distortions which 95% are copies/clones of existing circuits. Some times they do add some really useful changes but its rare. I think its much more efficient to have a great sounding amp, and just slightly enhance it with a pedal but personally I have no desire to own a dozen OD pedals when I can get the sound I like out of the amp itself.

metrokosmiko likes this.
  20. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

I'm neither. I look at demos for an idea of what something can do. I listen to the sounds they produce and consider how I could use them.

OTOH, I'm not ever looking for OD/Distortion/Fuzz pedals, which helps a lot. I'm already happy with my core tones and so anything I buy is for seasoning, such as modulation, pitch and delay effects.

monty likes this.