Are you a pedal pessimist or optimist??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by josiahmac, Aug 12, 2019.

Pedal pessimist or optimist?

1. They all suck...

9 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. So many amazing sounds, how do I choose?!

79 vote(s)
    89.8%
  1. god.machine

god.machine Member

I'm gonna go with Pessimist for you.

Kluch, captaincoconut and Jaguar like this.
  2. DonP

DonP Member

I've been a guitar into amp guy for 30 years. Tubes were it, the only choice.

Just started the pedal ride less than a year ago. I have a couple dozen now. I'm quite happy with everything I've bought, but I'm buying stuff my heroes used. Pretty safe choices.

josiahmac likes this.
  3. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

I think taste in pedals or what works for you is totally personal. I found for myself that I have a very particular taste that makes it hard to find 'good' pedals. Most pedals (90%!?) I don't like the sound of within 30 sec of hearing them. This includes most popular and raved about pedals. So you have to find what your taste is. With more luck than wisdom I stubled upon a few that work for me. I believe it can be quite a chase! And maybe sometimes it is even hard to define what you like and why you like them. It's an interesting journey. It fascinates me!! SO I'm not a pedal pessimist or a pedal optimist. Maybe a pedal realist!?

josiahmac likes this.
  4. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

It’s obvious that I bought way too much snake oil.

I like my amps natural overdrive, yet I keep buying every new preamp/natural OD that comes out.

Either way, I think it’s time for a fire sale.

5. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

@god.machine ... do you know that band!? The God Machine? They were pretty great!

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I am optimistic that I can get what I need with the pedals/tools I have available.

The OPs premise being somewhat focused on the prices of pedals or the positive attitude of compensated reviewers/demos is flawed.

As Charlie Sheen said-
    Your problem is you... You need to spend a little more time dealing with yourself- a little less time worrying about what your brother does. That’s just an opinion.

ChampReverb and josiahmac like this.
  7. god.machine

god.machine Member

Nope, didn't know there was a band. God Machine is a metal song from the band Acid Bath.

8. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

This is not metal but quite massive, you might like it (2 great albums):

To stay somewhat on topic; I guess they used pedals.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    metrokosmiko likes this.
  9. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

Now don’t hold back, ok? ;)

I hear you. There are WAY too many pedals out there that promise “the tone” and we’re always chasing it like kittens to foil. I’ve fallen in the trap too of GAS forcing me away from actually playing - it’s fun but also pointless because eventually that new gear will be sold too!

10. monty

monty Member

I typed my response then read yours, almost word for word, lol. So I'll just do the quote thing.

Sam Xavier likes this.
  11. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Pedals are tools.

Pick the right tools for the job and learn how to use them.

-bEn r.

Sam Xavier likes this.
  12. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I became a pessimist.

They don't all suck but I just assume they don't make much difference.

13. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Well played, sir! :spit

14. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

I think optimist/pessimist not exactly the paradigm. I would use the descriptor "connoisseur" but I am open to judicious use of "cynic." :)

Prolly 80% of what I purchase is resold, higher than that long term. I hope to, but I don't expect to be satisfied enough to keep most stuff. At this point, just like with music consumption, it's got to really knock my socks off for me to sit up and take notice. More to do with me than the pedals.

Optimist/pessimist is another bag, to me, the whole glass half full, glass half empty thing. Which is an easy one, the glass is too big, that's all

Glitch Magnet likes this.
  15. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

for every one pedal I have on my board being used, there are 10 more at least sitting in a bin

I love boss, but use primarily barber and wampler dirt
    however I could take my blues driver, sd1, and od3 and get 98% of what I want

most pedals are awesome and very usable
    I pay more for dirt cuz I can
    the rest of them don't need to be $200+ booteeks

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I’ve been turning into a pedal “realist”.

After many years buying pedals and having expectations and a cupboard full of pedals I’ve learned just to wait and see. Even though it helps if one can try the pedal out before buying in a music store, I need to experience it with my rig.

Of course I don’t buy pedals with the expectation of being disappointed, why would I? But I have learned to dampen my expectations, and also important, expect to have to learn the pedal when I get it. It used to be I’d get one and if it didn’t sound great out of the box, with what I thought were nominal settings, I’d get it in my head that the pedal wasn’t as good as I hoped, and that would color my feelings about it even when I tweaked and got better sounds.

So I have learned to not judge it out of the box, to be patient, adjust by sound instead of assuming say that EQ at 12 “ought to be a good start point”.

Mainly now it is, “ok, let’s see what this can do” and spending time with it.
    When I was a kid, I had little money and bought a pedal and lived with it for a long time learning it’s plusses and how to best use it. When older I would get a pedal, try it for a short time, and either resell, return, or shelve it if it didn’t give me wonderful sounds out of the box. Pretty dumb of me. Decadent.

Many i shelved I revisited and many times wondered why I didn’t like it. Expectations. On the shelf it was a “probably ought to sell it when I get around to it” pedal I had judged “not all that great” so when I took it out again had low expectations, and much less immediacy (didn’t feel like I needed to justify its cost right away) and with that would often find out it was a really good pedal.

Most of this post I’m thinking OD, but it is the same with other types. Some types of pedals have so many options (like my El Capistan, which I did like right out of the box) you have to spend a lot of time with it.

One last thing, many OD and other pedals, when I get them I play with them while playing alone, not along with a band or stereo. That can be a big mistake. Some pedals (a LOT of dirt pedals) shine when played along with music. You can get too focused on the nuances that disappear when used in a band. So cranking the stereo up and playing along can give a hint if this is a keeper.

So I’m more a pedal realist, as I unbox it and plug it in I remind myself not to judge it at all until I play with it some. I also don’t “believe” the demos that may have influenced me to buy it are necessarily accurate. They often use excellent players, with specific guitars, through high end or special amps...play alone, and you never know how it was recorded (hate when they add reverb, etc. either on the board or built in th Pr recording)

That’s only some videos I actually like the less slick ones, done by just folk.

The last pedal though I bought was the Purple Plexi, and I was grinning from ear to ear and amazed as soon as I heard it, and playing with ten controls only made the grin wider. I love when that happens.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  17. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I tend to love (most) every chorus , tremolo and delay pedal I buy.

I tend to be underwhelmed with most OD's that I buy.

So ...I just started mostly buying chorus / tremolo / delay pedals.

18. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

I've mentioned this before...

Having a limited income makes a great deal of difference to what gear you buy, apart from the obvious "No Klon for you" sort of thing. Even so, if I was sufficiently motivated, I could have saved until I had the means to buy a Klon. Thing is, being short of readies makes you think about what and why you should buy a thing, above and beyond the usual "Oo! Shiny!" kind of reaction. Everything I bought - with one exception - was researched and carefully considered. I bought things I'd wanted for a long time, things that I knew would fit with my playing and writing and things I knew would inspire me.

I guess I'd be as bad as the next gear hound if I had the means but quite honestly, I'm happy with what I have. Any new stuff will be additions, not replacements.

19. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I used to be this way til I really did some serious digging into OD pedals. I have since found 3 OD's that I absolutely adore and they're way better than many others I've tried. You just have to find the right one and believe it or not you may need to spend way less as well. One of the best I own I got for $80 recently, all though brand new it sold for $175.. but I spent about 5-6 months waiting for a deal to show up and it did.

I think another issue with ODs is people expect them to replace a whole amp or something.. which they could in some cases but 95% of the time from my experience they are much better at enhancing an amp in some way. In other words, I use my ODs to make the amp do something that it won't do on its own (i.e. add more low end or midrange or whatever else). Some ODs can make what seems like not a great amp into a really fantastic amp really fast.

20. Calebz

Calebz Member

Same here. All of my amps were purchased primarily based on their natural drive characteristic.

A couple of them really shine up nice with a blues breaker or something similar in front of them though. So I have my daily driver OD and I cycle through a few others every year just to see if I like any of them better.