Are you content with your amp modeler/profiler?

Are you content with your modeling gear?

• I have no desire to own another tube amps or amp modeler. I'm content.

Votes: 80 45.2%
  • I'm mostly content, but always on the lookout for new solutions that better meet my needs.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I'm GASing like crazy! I always have to try the newest thing! I can't help myself!

Votes: 10 5.6%

• Total voters

shred440

Supporting Member
Anyone else feel mostly or completely content? I've owned my Helix for 3 years now and while I'm always fascinated with improvements and new developments with modelering, I have little desire to jump ship. My needs are more than met right now, and, while I still gas over other guitar gear, I feel pretty content with my modeling solution.

Guitardave

Supporting Member
Anyone else feel mostly or completely content? I've owned my Helix for 3 years now and while I'm always fascinated with improvements and new developments with modelering, I have little desire to jump ship. My needs are more than met right now, and, while I still gas over other guitar gear, I feel pretty content with my modeling solution.
+1 on the Helix. But in true gear junkie fashion I had to try the others out. Coming out of that process I decided to scale down to just the Stomp. The Floor is awesome but overkill for my actual usage needs at the moment. If they change again I'll pick up another Floor.

scott58

Pretty content. Only going to upgrade when something fails.

Edit. With the exception of guitar. Playing a cheap MLXP on my basement rig. It's got good pickups, but I'm flirting with the idea of a hollow body.

mdubya

Completely content?

Honestly, I pretty much am.

Do I still think about other solutions? Yes, indeed. I am a red blooded man, after all.

AX8/Xitone/Presonus e4.5 + sometimes into my amps, too. Mostly the e4.5's lately.

primemover12

I'd definitely classify myself as "Happy, but...."

I've got a set of about four basic tones in ReValver (blackface, AC-30, plexi, and boosted 5150) that I'm pretty pleased with and cover pretty much the range of my interests. Sometimes, I'll get dissatisfied with them and play around in any of the other modelers I've got; but I always end up right back with what I've got. In fact, some times, I'll make some new patch in S-Gear or Amplitube and convince myself it's better than what I started with. But when I come back the next day, my tried and trusted patches always win. I think what's actually happening is that, after a few hours of practicing, my ears are fatigued and those new presets sound better under those conditions.

I remember, when I was a kid, reading guitar magazines where someone like Ted Nugent would opine that it didn't really matter what they played, it always sounded like them. There is some truth to that. The truth is, if left to my own devices, I'll dial in a 5150, a Soldano, a Mark IV, or a JCM800 so that they give me the sound I want. Obviously, the individual pieces of gear have their own sounds and tendencies, but I'm always drawn to particular sounds that I want. So I'll always tend to dial them in to that sound I'm chasing. I don't subscribe to that dumb old trope that "tone is all in the fingers": clearly, there is a massive difference between a 5150 and a Bassman, and you will not span it with the right fingers. But there is some truth to the idea that the combination of a specific set of techniques and a specific ear for specific tones will lead to a guitarist sounding remarkably similar on a number of setups.

That said, I'm still always interested in new options for getting closer to those ideal tones in my head.

JLee

Supporting Member
More than happy with my XL+. Would love to own the III, but finances won’t allow it at the moment. Don’t feel like I’m missing anything though. Getting very inspiring tones that make me want to play.

Jarick

Supporting Member
I'm about halfway content, halfway wanting to blow it up. I've tried pretty much everything at this point and there's always compromises. What gets me is having too many options, too many distractions. And taking too long to get a sound that's inspiring.

But there's also times I really enjoy what I have, which is more than I need. So I do have to keep some perspective.

FuzzFacetious

Boss GT 1k gets me everything I need.

HR Gigboard is fun but effects / pedals are limited, amp models are cool but not as good as the Boss.

Might or might not also pick up a cheap HX Stomp in the future but I'm not too worried as it would be overkill. I need to sell older modellers first, really.

shred440

Supporting Member
I am content with the amp modeling, but the combination of FRFR or headphones and IR’s still has room for improvement.
I've been less content with my playback system, and it's changed quite a bit. I just recently bought a pair of Headrush 108s to replace my Powercab+. I'm quite happy with them so far.

Trending Topics