Are you content with your amp modeler/profiler?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by shred440, Jun 23, 2019.

Are you content with your modeling gear?

1. I have no desire to own another tube amps or amp modeler. I'm content.

80 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. I'm mostly content, but always on the lookout for new solutions that better meet my needs.

87 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. I'm GASing like crazy! I always have to try the newest thing! I can't help myself!

10 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. shred440

shred440 Supporting Member

Anyone else feel mostly or completely content? I've owned my Helix for 3 years now and while I'm always fascinated with improvements and new developments with modelering, I have little desire to jump ship. My needs are more than met right now, and, while I still gas over other guitar gear, I feel pretty content with my modeling solution.

mikah912, X-Mann, mbenigni and 6 others like this.
  2. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

+1 on the Helix. But in true gear junkie fashion I had to try the others out. Coming out of that process I decided to scale down to just the Stomp. The Floor is awesome but overkill for my actual usage needs at the moment. If they change again I'll pick up another Floor.

mikah912, X-Mann, mbenigni and 3 others like this.
  3. scott58

scott58 Member

Pretty content. Only going to upgrade when something fails.

Edit. With the exception of guitar. Playing a cheap MLXP on my basement rig. It's got good pickups, but I'm flirting with the idea of a hollow body.

4. csweldon

csweldon Supporting Member

I love my stuff and it sounds great! I play mostly acoustic these days so I don’t even need have the stuff I already have.

But I have a problem, soooooooo....

X-Mann, Madmax25, Guitardave and 2 others like this.
  5. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

I'm content now, just as I've been in the past at times... but that's not saying I have no desire. I mean, I'm here!

mbenigni, dmock66, Madmax25 and 2 others like this.
  6. mojotele65

mojotele65 Supporting Member

I love my Helix.

mbenigni and MIJLOVER like this.
  7. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

I'm completely content, but also have plenty of desire to own more amps and an iteration of ARES.

8. mdubya

mdubya Member

Completely content?

Honestly, I pretty much am.

Do I still think about other solutions? Yes, indeed. I am a red blooded man, after all.

AX8/Xitone/Presonus e4.5 + sometimes into my amps, too. Mostly the e4.5's lately.

9. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

I am feeling pretty content with the Kemper.

ljs, Kevin.C, mikekim and 3 others like this.
  10. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I'm content for now... until something better comes along.

11. primemover12

primemover12 Member

I'd definitely classify myself as "Happy, but...."

I've got a set of about four basic tones in ReValver (blackface, AC-30, plexi, and boosted 5150) that I'm pretty pleased with and cover pretty much the range of my interests. Sometimes, I'll get dissatisfied with them and play around in any of the other modelers I've got; but I always end up right back with what I've got. In fact, some times, I'll make some new patch in S-Gear or Amplitube and convince myself it's better than what I started with. But when I come back the next day, my tried and trusted patches always win. I think what's actually happening is that, after a few hours of practicing, my ears are fatigued and those new presets sound better under those conditions.

I remember, when I was a kid, reading guitar magazines where someone like Ted Nugent would opine that it didn't really matter what they played, it always sounded like them. There is some truth to that. The truth is, if left to my own devices, I'll dial in a 5150, a Soldano, a Mark IV, or a JCM800 so that they give me the sound I want. Obviously, the individual pieces of gear have their own sounds and tendencies, but I'm always drawn to particular sounds that I want. So I'll always tend to dial them in to that sound I'm chasing. I don't subscribe to that dumb old trope that "tone is all in the fingers": clearly, there is a massive difference between a 5150 and a Bassman, and you will not span it with the right fingers. But there is some truth to the idea that the combination of a specific set of techniques and a specific ear for specific tones will lead to a guitarist sounding remarkably similar on a number of setups.

That said, I'm still always interested in new options for getting closer to those ideal tones in my head.

kdm1218, Guitardave and mbenigni like this.
  12. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Dig my Helix, for real, but if money was no object I'd love to try an Axe III and a Kemper. Of course?

13. Chocol8

Chocol8 Member

I am content with the amp modeling, but the combination of FRFR or headphones and IR’s still has room for improvement.

shred440 and MIJLOVER like this.
  14. JLee

JLee Member

More than happy with my XL+. Would love to own the III, but finances won’t allow it at the moment. Don’t feel like I’m missing anything though. Getting very inspiring tones that make me want to play.

KelsterVonShredster and MIJLOVER like this.
  15. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I'm about halfway content, halfway wanting to blow it up. I've tried pretty much everything at this point and there's always compromises. What gets me is having too many options, too many distractions. And taking too long to get a sound that's inspiring.

But there's also times I really enjoy what I have, which is more than I need. So I do have to keep some perspective.

16. Elric

Elric Member

Loving my rig(s) straight up.

JiveTurkey and MIJLOVER like this.
  17. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky Member

Kemper Happy here

MIJLOVER likes this.
  18. arislaf

arislaf Member

Non content here. Love my helix, but if helix 2 comes i will rin to buy it...

Madmax25, shred440 and MIJLOVER like this.
  19. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

Boss GT 1k gets me everything I need.

HR Gigboard is fun but effects / pedals are limited, amp models are cool but not as good as the Boss.

Might or might not also pick up a cheap HX Stomp in the future but I'm not too worried as it would be overkill. I need to sell older modellers first, really.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  20. shred440

shred440 Supporting Member

I've been less content with my playback system, and it's changed quite a bit. I just recently bought a pair of Headrush 108s to replace my Powercab+. I'm quite happy with them so far.

Chocol8 likes this.