Are you content with your amp modeler/profiler?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by shred440, Jun 23, 2019.

Are you content with your modeling gear?

1. I have no desire to own another tube amps or amp modeler. I'm content.

78 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. I'm mostly content, but always on the lookout for new solutions that better meet my needs.

87 vote(s)
    49.7%
  3. I'm GASing like crazy! I always have to try the newest thing! I can't help myself!

10 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

What are you using for a cabinet with the KPA? If a guitar speaker, are you disabling the cab blocks?

2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I hear you...I could never get a higher gain tone that I loved. The big thing it was missing was the low end presence, the palm muting thump and sag and what not. And the upper mids were always a bit funky. That's where I really thought the Fractal was better. If that aspect changed, I would probably go Helix and never look back.

3. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on the comparison between those two! I have strongly been thinking about swapping out my high end modeler for a Friedman tube amp and a Stomp or FM3. Jerry is my guitar hero and the new JJ Jr looks incredible. Curious to know how much difference there would be between the Axe 3 vs the Friedman (if you run say the Fractal through the effects return or compare the Waza vs a full signal of the Axe).

PBGas likes this.
  4. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Recently got a Quilter MP Mach 2 - I'm more content now than I was with the modelers I have had - including Helix. I have not used it live yet, and probably won't until July sometime...I guess I finally realized that I don't need all those amps/fx - although, I am considering getting a mutli-fx unit to use with the Quilter.

5. Bennihana

Bennihana Member

Blackstar ID:Core
    Orange Micro Dark
    BiasAMP
    BiasFX

Bases all covered.

6. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

I am sooooo glad the new axe fx III are 3RU. Replacing my two Axe FX IIxls requires two additional rack spaces I do not have.

Not having endless updates has actually been a blessing. Have not even installed the last FW update as many say the models have more gain. I find the cleans on the fractals already break up too early. The deluxe reverb on helix sounds way better for example.

7. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

The Friedman models on the Axe III are nothing short of stunning. I have the C45 2018 model and I absolutely love it. I compare back and forth between the BE-50 and in all honesty, I would not miss the 50 if I sold it. I love the amp but the tighter bottom that I can get with the Axe models is amazing. If anything that C45 tone is extremely close to the JBE mode on the mini-head.

In all honesty, with what you are thinking of having the FM3 and the mini-JJ, it would be a fantastic setup. You would have the best of both worlds.

Ni6htWalker likes this.
  8. KelsterVonShredster

KelsterVonShredster Member

Even on the II they're pretty damn good!

Ni6htWalker likes this.
  9. KelsterVonShredster

KelsterVonShredster Member

I'm so full of GAS people I'm dangerous to smoke around. But, after flip flopping between Kemper and Fractal for years, and trying the Helix, and having owned the Amplifire and numerous other models, I am coming to understand that yes the gear is very important but it's what you do with it that is just if not more important. Case in point....great friend of mine is a gigging musician in Chile, he doesn't have the funds nor the gear selection that I have, and he's been rockin' his POD XT Live for YEARS with incredible success. He sounds amazing at gigs and nobody gives a **** or notices that it's "just" a POD XT. I guess what I'm trying to say is....if you suck, you suck and the modeler won't make you any better. But we all know this, so why am I rambling?

10. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

I have several I brought with me overseas. Main is a Budda 212 Phatcab (darker sounding than a v30). Also a Randall RD212-V30 ported cab (V30 version, sounds like a 412). They say you should always turn the cab sim off, but for me it depends on the model. Many of the 1x12 combo models like Fender, Dr Z, Morgan all sound better to me with the cabs on? So I usually just listen to the patch and A/B with/without cab sim.

I had a 115 powered PA I was using that sounded great for home use and I always had cab sim on with that.

I thought this was a good video:

11. Rayf

Rayf Member

I'm a happy Helix owner for the last 14 months. Amazing product and I can't say enough good things about it even though all my friends think I'm nuts for going digital. However, I can't seem to get rid of the Fractal itch. I think I'm going to have to try this FM3 when ever it starts shipping. It's total overkill running that through a Helix Rack but I think I need to try it at least once.

As far as the future goes, I could see myself running a Helix into a power amp and then use real cabs. Helix amps & flexibility with real cabinet solutions. That would be the ideal state plus I'd get to fill my room with cabinets. I miss having a bunch of amps that I'm constantly tripping over.

12. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

The fun part about the Helix is that if you get bored, or you hear an amp that you would want to buy, you can sit down and dial it in. Sometimes I envy someone who just has a bone simple amp with a pedal or two, and just leaves it all alone, but then again you can do the same thing with a modeler if you really want to.

13. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

Come over to the Kemper then! The cleans and lower gain profile are so much better IMO. (The FX are much better on the AxeFX and the high gain is a tie)

14. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

I was completing content with my set-up, but it wasn’t a modeling rig. I dialed-in an amazing rig with a PRS MT15 & a Fractal FX8......It’s the best of everything Tone/FX & instant switching........but.....It was too loud.

I re-dialed in my Fractal AX8 & am playing out with that rig in Stereo now. I like it a lot, but have a few things I’d like to change/add or fix.

I want a no compromises rig & was looking into more hybrid amp/Cab IR ideas (Synergy etc) & also started to total-up some of the gear I have just laying around......

I decided to just go for it & upgrades to the Axe Fx III yesterday. I will take my time getting to know this unit, even though I do understand the Fractal way for the most part. I’ll dial in some new presets, a/b things & eventually sell my AX8 I think.......

I tend to keep things for a long time.....& feel that the Axe III is going to be everything I need and more for the rest of my gigging days.

Great thread here & peace boys, peace!!!!

X

15. sleewell

sleewell Member

I love my helix and I love my evh 5153. They are both excellent pieces of gear and very useful tools.

16. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I have tried a LOT of gear in my time, trying to find what made me happy.
    I have come to prefer Plexi style amps from Marshall, but desired more bells and whistles from the Plexi circuit.
    Enter Pleximan, which is currently sitting in it's shipping box at home, waiting for the cab I ordered for it.
    I have a Kemper, and am happy to use it for silent practicing at home and nothing more.
    I have a Line 6 HX FX, and it satisfies my effects desires.

I've gotten to the point where I know the sounds I want to use and the effects behind them. They aren't so demanding as to have to have a specific unit for each effect, so long as it gets the job done.

As for amps, after having owned and used a number of boutique and regular production amps, I have found that I prefer Marshall amps to their boutique counterparts "mostly". I am trying a Pleximan to see if it fixes my desire for a Marshall Plexi sound with the extras I wish Marshall had considered adding to this specific circuit, but apparently never did. If it does, great! If it does not, I will simply go back to my Marshall amps and call it a day.

17. deathbyguitar

deathbyguitar Member

I have an Axe-FX II and was completely content with it for a few years because it was the most advanced thing on the market and there was nowhere else to go so it shut my GAS'ing brain up for quite a long time.

Now that the III is a thing, I know that the only way to get rid of the GAS is just to buy the thing so my mind can focus on other things. I know it's dumb but sometimes you just gotta get what you want just so you can move on with your damn life. I can't be the only one who thinks this way.

18. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I have been happy for quite some time now but I still love experimenting with new/different gear.

19. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Not to make your GAS worse but I held out on that pedal til a few months ago. Now I don't want it to leave my pedalboard for when I am going direct, FRFR, or headphones. It's an incredible pedal. Although it is similar to a synth pedal in that it will misfire if you do.

shred440 likes this.
  20. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

HAHA! :rotflmao:rotflmao

FPFL and JiveTurkey like this.