Are you content with your amp modeler/profiler?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by shred440, Jun 23, 2019.

Are you content with your modeling gear?

1. I have no desire to own another tube amps or amp modeler. I'm content.

78 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. I'm mostly content, but always on the lookout for new solutions that better meet my needs.

87 vote(s)
    49.7%
  3. I'm GASing like crazy! I always have to try the newest thing! I can't help myself!

10 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I'm content on the modeler / amp side for the first time in a very long time. If I'm all about the tone I bring my big rig (which is still very easy to cart) AX8 -> Runt 20 -> Marshall cab. Any iteration of configuration (including the Runt 20 by itself) sounds killer and is absolutely giggable. If I'm feeling lazy or it's a hit it and quit it gig, AX8 -> FRFR is the answer.
    I got my invite for the FC6 and thought about it for a split second, then realized it would be a waste.
    I'm on the list for the FM3 and at this point the only reason I might consider is that it's smaller / lighter than the AX8 and ARES. But I'm not sold on 3 buttons just yet.
    I saw an emporium ad for III + FC6 + EV1 and the deal was excellent. But then I took a closer look and it was shy of $3K. $3K is a steal???!!!
    Super overkill for what I need/want and less fun - no thanks.
    I'm VERY happy to not think too much about tone anymore.

I have an acoustic gig on Friday and will happily use the AX8, but TBH I kind of miss my Zoom G3X :oops:

Jarick and JiveTurkey like this.
  2. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

I'll be here all day :D

Pastafarian likes this.
  3. Mangrilla

Mangrilla Member

I just keep telling myself that I got the Helix in the first place because I was tired of dealing with all the issues around my pedal board at that time that getting that pedal will just start me back down that path. "But surely just ONE pedal..." BAD MANGRILLA.

Pastafarian likes this.
  4. shred440

shred440 Supporting Member

I 've seen your tube rig and remember you saying that it was too loud in other threads too. Have you ever thought of getting a Suhr reactive load or a Two Notes Captor and make some IRs of your cab? I did something similar with my Carvin Legacy 3 and used that setup for a few years before I bought my Helix. The only noticeable difference to me was the stage volume improved drastically! It sounded great through FRFRs and the PA. I see videos of our band from those days and I can't tell if I'm playing through my miced cab or my hybrid setup (until I see my cab on stage of course ;)).

One drawback for me was it was a much larger footprint and was a bit more convoluted to setup. Better than carting a 4x12 cab around, but still. After my back fusion surgery, I love my easy setup with the Helix!

Having said that, I will say that while I love the tones I'm getting from the Helix, If I were a true, no compromise, guy, with a decent back :), I'd probably switch back!

5. Bishop5150

Bishop5150 Silver Supporting Member

I'm good. For now.:p

GtarLover and mikah912 like this.
  6. shred440

shred440 Supporting Member

I think you're making my GAS worse! I almost forgot how much I wanted that pedal!

Pastafarian likes this.
  7. Joseph Rao

Joseph Rao Member

Hi, Thank You - You're Awesome Sir!
    Joseph Rao EE,PAE - Kemper 5yr user and profesional guitarist.
    I completely agree with you on several of your findings. One of the first things that I wanted to hear was what we call "soft" tones. I spent several months developing soft "Jimi like" sounds utilizing the (Stack) compressor's incredible power - something I hadn't seen utilized much previous to my research. I already figured out this thing could really shred so I thought, if this KPA can create my sounds, breaking up exactly the way I expecting, then I'm on board. Well, to this day, I've compared this thing against many current devices and I still have not seen anything that comes close to the user live functionality and the complex spectral character the Kemper is capable of.

I thought, Has technology finally (really) replaced my 1973 Marshall 50w and the ridiculously, always fun to carry - rack? Was it actually possible to play out with just one box?

Something I thought I'd never say, Yes.

Sincerely,
    Joseph

USMarine75 likes this.
  8. danieloux

danieloux Member

Helix and Hx stomp are all i needed for modeling they really sound awesome .

9. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

I'm happy with my helix + power amp + guitar cab since we don't have a private rehearsal room anymore and we have to move from room to room.

If we'll have a private space again I'll probably go back to my old hybrid rig: helix, jubilee, cab.

I don't mean the helix alone is not good enough, but I prefer tube power amps to the soild state ones and I would love to play a jubilee+helix rig again.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 11:26 AM
  10. totoleheron

totoleheron Member

First time i'm happy with a modeler with the Headrush.
    I just got a Profiler Stage (had a Profiler Head in the past) and i'm surprised to hear how bad it sounds. All presets available sound meh, but really meh.

The Rig Manager allows you to get more tones (15000 profiles). I browse a few and as expected they all sound bad.

I made a profile of the Headrush's JCM800, i think they have improved the profiling process. It's not bad but it sounds bright/wet. I can't get rid of this aspect. Without that the profile would have been perfect. With that it sounds meh.

The Profiler Stage stop by itself after 20 minutes, i'm sending it back. Huge deception. I don't know how people can love it. Effects are great though.
    Profiles sound bad (all).

11. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

So you're judging the sound of the Profiler Stage based on a profile you made of the Headrush's JCM800 model?

[​IMG]

blandified, mikah912 and JiveTurkey like this.
  12. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

There are some KILLER Zoom G9.2TT profiles out there. Maybe the Stage issues will get fixed once they return from vacation?

mikah912 likes this.
  13. totoleheron

totoleheron Member

I made a direct profile of my JMP 79 too.
    I can't make a profile of a recording cab because i should have an xlr female to 1/4 jack cable for the return 1 of the Stage and i don't have one.

By the way i judge with the profiles provided and they all sound like ****. No one is close to a good mic record.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:43 PM
  14. totoleheron

totoleheron Member

They are in vacation?

Frankly all profiles sound like shhh..
    Edit : Tone Junkie profiles sound great.

I will post a record that will compare a few and my tests.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 2:34 PM
  15. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

In the ~6 weeks since this, I did blow it up, sold my Kemper rig, sold my Katana amp, traded a guitar I didn't love for a fun new one, and cleared out a bunch of stuff from my stash pile. I doubled down on a streamlined rig, going exclusively to Axe FX 3 into studio monitors/headphones.

My "guitar corner" (desk and stuff) is a lot cleaner now and so far I'm happy with the changes. I have a lot of options but it doesn't take long to get a great sound. And I've been learning a lot of new songs instead of just playing with my toys!

16. zematynnad

zematynnad Member

Love my Helix! Sounds so good and so easy to use. The other stuff has no appeal for me.

17. deathbyguitar

deathbyguitar Member

I have an Axe-FX II and only ever use two amp models but I'm dying to get the III regardless. I don't want it. I just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know that I'm alive...

18. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Plenty content with my HX Stomp and a couple small pedals. If only I could have 8 blocks I’d ditch the others too.

19. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Supporting Member

Had a Helix and a Kemper at the same time to test them out. Both were fantastic, but the Kemper fits me better.
    So the Helix found a new happy home and the Kemper is staying here with me.

I still have tube amps as well. Yet to profile any of my own, but I'm ready to give it a shot...

20. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Supporting Member

Opposite for me. I have a Kemper, sold a Helix and want to buy and Axe 3 just to see what all the hype is about...