1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you currently taking or giving guitar lessons?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by skydog, Jun 30, 2020.

1. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Are you doing it in person, via skype, or…?

2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I give lessons via zoom and also I’m posting pretty regularly on YouTube. Often it’s the same material so that it’s available for my students. Though I’ll often just make personalized videos for folks.

it’s probably time for me to reach out and get some more ideas from my friends and heroes...I’m feeling a little stale myself!

COVID has been awful...but it’s been good for my playing.

strike3, GtrWiz and guitarjazz like this.
  3. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Teaching, through skype, zoom, facetime, basically whatever the person I'm teaching is comfortable with. Lot's of self-study, but there's a couple of players I'd like to take a lesson from. Money's a bit tight at the moment for that without any gigs coming up until who knows when?

guitarjazz and Guitardave like this.
  4. ieso

ieso Member

I give 'lessons' on technique through Skype and FaceTime, though, most people who contact me simply need to practice more so I just tell them to go practice more and get back with me in a couple of years :rolleyes:

5. Megatron

Megatron Member

I give lessons on zoom, Skype, and FT at the moment. I have a few that come to the house as well.

GtrWiz likes this.
  6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I’ve been teaching a few lessons a week. The problem is that I keep using the money to buy another My Music MasterClass. I’m on an Andy Laverne kick now.
    I took two Zoom lessons last month from a piano player that were very inspiring and informative. So much to learn about harmony.

GtrWiz likes this.
  7. thecoworker

thecoworker Member

From there, Skype lessons are more than just phone in lessons.

Take it or leave it as that

8. FwLineberry

FwLineberry Member

You're going to undermine the guitar teaching industry with that kind of approach. :nono

Robotechnology and ieso like this.
  9. Emigre

Emigre Member

I take lessons, electric (Zoom) and classical (FaceTime) guitar. Both were in person until the lockdowns.

Not the same but usable. The key is getting a workable audio feed with mics (or direct line in) and headphones. Speakerphone mode won't cut it, not for me.

10. gennation

gennation Member

I give them using whatever method the student and I agree on.

11. killer blues

killer blues Member

I'm giving lessons right now to my 15 year old, one of his friends, and my thirteen-year-old.
    I do need to go see my cousin now and get some lessons myself.

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I've never given lessons in any other format than F2F.

Currently taking lessons again, this time via Facetime. Enjoying the process and I can record them using Quicktime.

Dickie Fredericks likes this.
  13. JonR

JonR Member

Careful now. We may need to revoke your TGP licence. :mmm

guitarjazz likes this.
  14. JonR

JonR Member

I'm giving lessons via Zoom. Not very many. That is, around the same number of sessions a week as before the lockdown, but with many fewer students. The most I've ever had in a group is six.

15. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

2 weeks ago we just got back to doing the lessons in person. Prior to that we'd been doing them remotely since the end of February. It's good to be back in person. They're much more effective.

16. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I even wear a mask when I'm giving Zoom lessons. Face-to-face would require more glass than a prison visitor's room.

GtrWiz likes this.
  17. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I've taught some online for 5-6 years but now that I’ve been online exclusively I don’t think I’m going back. I don’t find a difference at all in efficacy and I find it much easier to stay on schedule. Nobody’s late and it’s easier to end a call than to kick someone out when they’re yammering while packing up. YMMV

ZENTISH, Riffdiculous and guitarjazz like this.
  18. ben777

ben777 Member

I was taking F2F lessons and missed one week when the lockdown started here as my teacher needed to get setup for video lessons. AFAICT he kept most of his schedule and everything just moved to Zoom. He just upgraded his computer setup so things can't be going terribly.

I can't wait to get back to F2F at some point though. Since I started taking Zoom lessons I went from 45 minutes to an hour.. only because I work from home now and I don't have to leave the office early to drive home in time for the lesson, and I don't have to pick my kid up right after my lesson ends either.

Online is working fine for now.. I could probably use a camera upgrade, my camera makes it hard for my instructor to see my face & the fretboard at the same time. The only thing is we can't really both jam/play at the same time online.

If this had happened 2 years ago I am not sure it would have worked as well.. I don't need as much help with the physical stuff these days. I think the physical more beginner stuff would have been more frustrating. At this point I don't need major help with figuring out how to pick a passage or fret a chord unless it's a wild diminished/augmented/whatever chord.

19. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I just started using Zoom a couple of weeks ago for one client. He is patient. We are moving to Facetime next week to get around the 40-minute limitation. If facetime has a time limit please tell me now!!

Anyway, I find it to be a lot harder than live. I have a laptop with mic & camera so that is easy, but I also log in with my phone to get a closeup on my guitar hand. The lighting in the room seems fine but I don't think it is sharp enough to see what I am doing.

20. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

our biggest issue is that the latency makes it impossible for us to play together, as well as to address timing issues.