• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

are you in a "moped" band?

ce24fan

Silver Supporting Member
are you in a "moped" band? that is, a band that's fun to play in but you really don't want any of your friends or cohorts showing up at a show?

me neither, i was just wondering............:rolleyes:

ledzep618

Lol, I like that. And yes I have been - first when we were just doing loose instrumental jams, then when we added a singer she sucked and I hated it when people I knew came to shows. We used to play really loud just to drown her out. Now though we had a kick ass singer and a great line up so I want as many people to come out as possible for every show.

paranoid70

No.

Maybe looking back a few years, I probably should have been... :bonk

But no, I always appreciate friends, families, co-workers, acquaintances in the audience. However, it seems rather rare to get folks to get off their couch and come out to the gigs.

Heinz57Pep

Hahaha I am. I'm actually really enjoying it, as it's a return to my garage rock roots. and I would love to do a proper studio recording of the material we've written, simply for my own satisfaction. But in terms of it ever being suitable for public consumption, highly unlikely.

JPF

I'm starting to think so, yes. The increasingly blunt focus on Spanish pop and rock make for a terribly low-calorie musical diet...

ce24fan

Silver Supporting Member
Just last Friday a friend of my wife's was in the audience and I was instantly embarrassed. She had never seen us before. She posted something on FB and my wife apologized on my behalf.
word!!!!!!!!:spit

don't get me wrong. these guys are super nice, no egos, and we play deep cut seventies rock and blues with some ever increasing original material. we have the live quality of a loose saturday afternoon jam wiht friends. and at least they get live paying gigs.....................i sometimes wonder how, but that's just details. it's sad i am ashamed to promote tbhe shows on my FB page.

ce24fan

Silver Supporting Member
for example, the other weekend we played a show with about 15 twenty somethings in attendence. midway thru the second set, they were cracking "vietnam" jokes at us. (we're in 40s-50s range). the lead singer then responds "we're gonna play an original for ya now".....yeah buddy... THAT'LL bring em to the stage! lol!

thornie

Silver Supporting Member
I played in a band once where I told the 6 or 7 friends that showed to the gig that it was "cancelled". I then went to the promoter and said "no one is showing up, we aren't going to play." Yeah, it was that bad.

slopeshoulder

Absolutely I am! I'm playing in a power trio + singer cover band doing rock tunes from the 70's until now.
My real thing has been folk, pop, ambient acoustic, modern finger style, celtic, r&B, fusion, and prog. I studied jazz at NEC and with jazz legends.
And it IS fun!!!

ce24fan

Silver Supporting Member
one of the very few "popular" tunes we play is "who do you love". after 3 months, the drummer is STILL stymied on how to get the beat right. at one of last months shows, the drummer started the song off with some wierd beat that wasn't nowhere correct. we gave him, oh, 150 bars to correct himself before we reluctantly joined in. Ken Fischer couldn't have built a better trainwreck!

Bradmeister

Just last Friday a friend of my wife's was in the audience and I was instantly embarrassed. She had never seen us before. She posted something on FB and my wife apologized on my behalf.
But, Sauce, aren't you playing to hundreds and thousands several nights a week? Is this another gig? If not, what embarasses you about the gig....is it the new guys you mentioned in other threads?

27sauce

But, Sauce, aren't you playing to hundreds and thousands several nights a week? Is this another gig? If not, what embarasses you about the gig....is it the new guys you mentioned in other threads?
Yes. some members are subpar(to say the least), and the ones that are good don't give a **** anymore.

xrleroyx

Who I really am and who I am at work are two different things. I had a couple people show up from work who are my friends and dug it, but I wouldn't want people who know me to come.

I'm 6'3, 250lbs and I jump around and get down on stage. I'm really awkward. And most of the songs we play are songs I've written.

youngbill

A few months ago my sometimes band played in its usual very ordinary fashion. On top of that I also had a shocker myself, so of course a couple of local decent musicians were in attendance. There was hardly anyone there, those were probably just there by chance for an afternoon weekend drink so what's the chance of a couple of real musicians being there?

I was willing the time to fly, which of course did not happen.

I ended up taking a couple of steps to my right and trying to hide my shame behind the guitar player now directly in front of me. I like to think it worked.

The other guitarist plays slide for a couple of tunes, they are similar and both in the same key but he has to play them one after the other. Lame. He takes forever to swap guitars...put guitar down.....unplug guitar...crunch crackle bhekjsnkf.....pick other guitar up.....plug guitar in...chrunch crackl blurtygbwsd.....begin new song.

By this time all the underage kids are at the bar as they've reached the age of majority in the time it's taken to change guitars. If he's blown the intro to a song (it happens, no biggie) sometimes he will simply stop and go back to have another try. At least he's no quitter. Professional.

Who's next?

Brooks

the rush tribute i was in was kinda like that... decent on a good night, but more often sloppy w/ pitchy vocals. but i LOVED LOVED LOVED going over to run thru those tunes in the basement and drink some beers. i actually had to quit because the others wanted to gig more and i din't think we were doing the material justice. we're all still pals. they recently found another guitarist, which make me happy for them.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom