Are you Lefty or Righty?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Tidewater Custom Shop, Jun 29, 2009.

Are you Lefty or Righty?

1. Lefty

2. Righty

3. Lefty plays Righty

4. Righty plays Lefty

5. Play Lefty or Righty

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I was checking out the emporium - saw a lefty guitar for sale. Seems they always cost more than right handed models. There is no doubt that the number of left handed guitars represent a small fraction within any model.

I'm curious of the ratio of left handed players... I'm guessing less than 10%.

Also, how many of us are lefty's but play righty? And vice versa?

Finally, anyone do both?

Keep it clean... I'm talking about guitar playing.

2. Berlebster

Berlebster Member

i am lefty & paly righty , i don't like it even with 30 years of playing, just a pathetic move................Oh ok , i didn't have to bother getting a guitar to play...................
    what the hell , i might have guessed by myself to play in every way, so i am a sucker , i wanna die

3. Tidewater Custom Shop

Interesting results so far... the lefty's playing righty's representation is larger than I thought it would be

4. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

The list of famous lefties that play guitar right handed is long and illustrious.

5. tholmes

tholmes Member

I'm a lefty playing righty. When I taught myself to play, I didn't know that there was any other way to play. Until McCartney and those other guys came along, I'd never seen anyone play lefty.

I'm glad that I learned to play righty, though. Soooo many more guitars available. Plus, you have to train both hands to play guitar anyway, so I really don't think that there is an advatage either way. I've never seen a left-handed piano.

Tom

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Lefty playing righty. No reason for it, I guess.
    I saw how everybody was playing it, and that's how I started.

Upside...great left hand-neck-strength and facility.
    Downside...not so great right hand-picking-strength and facility.

Still...works for me.

S.
    j

7. ScottR

ScottR Member

Righty playing Righty, I play Golf left handed though and I ride a Surf/Skateboards Goofy Footed

8. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

I'm Righty for everything.

My 5 year old seems to be lefty. If he ever starts to play guitar, I'd probably encourage righty though. More available instruments, instruction materials, and doesn't it seem that the dominant hand on the neck might be a good thing?

Cronker likes this.
  9. chuck_zc

chuck_zc Member

Lefty playing lefty. In my younger years my air guitar,broom handle ,whetever was strung left handed and it just took off from there. Left handed just felt right. Not much available locally for leftys around here. Haven't turned the speakers in my amps over yet though, seem to sound ok though:banana

Coli, Lef T and bgh like this.
  10. candh

candh Member

Lefty playing lefty. I love it and wouldn't have it ....err....uh....any other way. The gang at Taniguchi gakki love it when I walk in the door.

Lef T, bgh and Cronker like this.
  11. Tidewater Custom Shop

So far it looks like just over half who responded are righty's playing right. But not far behind are lefty's who play left or play right. The population of lefty’s in our small sample demographic is greater than I expected!

Then there's the oddballs (I mean outliers) who are right handed but play lefty. I'm curious how that came to be...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  12. candh

candh Member

Your sample is skewed. US lefties search out threads like this just to make it known we play LEFT HANDED. I would think the number of lefties would be closer to the ratio of respondants to views of the thread.

13. Stonesy

Stonesy Member

Lefty playing right. I'm not ambidextrous by but i do things with either or. Not both.

14. Tidewater Custom Shop

May be true. This poll is not meant to be scientific - just fun.

And, at the time of this posting, there have been 367 viewers and roughly 1/3 actually responded. I won't guess why they didn't respond, but maybe they were all righties?

15. mike80

mike80 Member

Lefty playing righty. I wanted to learn to play left handed, but after seeing the price and availability (or lack thereof) of left handed guitars, I decided it would be better to learn right handed.

I'm actually ambidextrous, but I do most things left handed.

16. Stevocaster

Stevocaster Member

Left handed, play right handed. The only guitar that was available for me to learn on was right handed, and you don't play with the strings upside down.....or so I thought. I'm surprised for sure at the amount of left handed playing righty votes. Kind of thought I was unique...:nuts

17. strings2wood

strings2wood Supporting Member

Left handed, play left handed right hand strung.
    Anybody else do the same i.e. upside down?

Not too hard to find a tele and Strat and reverse the nut and strings-
    Les paul style guitars or a 335....very different story and set up required.

[​IMG]

Bluedano1 likes this.
  18. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

Right handed but play lefty.

19. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Member

I'm 100% unrepentant lefty. I kind of quibble with the poll a bit, since being a lefty is so much more than how one wrangles a guitar. Yeah though I play righty, I am still a southpaw.

20. Cronker

Cronker Member

I'm lefty all through, but a fairly poor decision was made by higher ups when I started playing at 9.
    I was given a guitar for my birthday and my parents decided to send me to lessons with a local folk singer/guitar teacher.
    Upon given the knowledge that I was naturally left handed, she advised that I should learn that way. A simple wiser decision to teach me right handed from day one would have opened up a far larger (and cheaper!) choice of instruments to explore. We lefties have a habit of hanging on to our instruments because they are (or were) harder to come by and had that 20% premium upon them in price.
    A slight benefit is that no one asks to borrow your guitar!