Are you still playing along to records? What records are they?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by VHS analog, Feb 3, 2012.

1. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

I forgot how much fun this is, like being 15 again. You can play for hours and not notice. Playing along to Deep Purple Machine Head (on original vinyl). This music is pushing me to my to the limit of my abilities. It reminds you of why you started playing in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I haven't for a long time, but thats all I used to do. Machine Head, Paranoid, Cooper, Rush, Frank Marino, Ted, Priest.....I'm sure I drove my parents crazy.

3. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Pretty much all I do when I practice. Just put the iPod on shuffle and away I go.

4. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Think the last time I remember playing along to a whole album was Neal Morse's first Testimony CD. So that'd be around 2003-04 I think. I've started a few since then, but tend to get bored half way through and give up. Product of today's disposable generation, I guess! ;)

5. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

When I first read this thread I thought " Oh no not me, the last time I did that was to Live at Leeds in about 1984" However I realised I do it now to You Tube Vids on my Television when I'm trying out new pedals and gear. Trouble is, I'm usually far too loud. I'll have to try this again with some of my old faves - Live at Leeds and the first Wishbone Ash albums were always great fun.

6. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

That just about all I do these days. I'm not with a band anymore or playing with church. I don't have a good practice regimine to develop my skills (I really could use some discipline).

So mostly, I play along with records (well CDs) or jam to some pre-recorded blues ryhthm tracks that I lay down. My playing has been reduced to 3 or 4, 30 to 45 minute random slots per week. That's about all I can do right now.

7. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

Listening and playing tunes I'm working up requires playing along... but for outright jammin' with records.. I play along SB recordings of Grateful Dead shows... This provides such a variety that practically all bases are covered.

8. V-Type

V-Type Member

Yep record owner here as well.
    I had gotten passed down too me from my uncle his 70's all Sansui Script logo series stereo system of 5 pieces.
    The Phonograph is still amazing by todays standards and too top it off my uncle had the good notion too but 3 spare needles for her as well( I have 2 new ones still).
    Anyways the album listening experience is amazing. At times and with my amp also next too me it almost sound like their is a band right here.
    Something about the spatial feel in the analog sound imo.

Montrose - Montrose

and

Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch

Are my current play along withs.

9. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

I love Bill Frisell's 'Good Dog, Happy Man'

So much fun. So rich, so melodic. Its a treat and a teacher..

Bill just seems to find the most natural "in-pocket" note placements :)

10. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Nice! Any favorites?

11. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Comping for Joe Henderson on "State of the Tenor."

12. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

I know right? I totally get it!

13. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

There's SO much to learn from that record. It's "State of the Bass" too.

14. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Yeah, Ron does some excellent playing there....great drumming too.

15. V-Type

V-Type Member

I just played a copy of a rare Vinyl I have 2 of. Free - The Free Story.
    Now Im telling you with 2x15's and a bose surround sat system I feel as though I am at this recording.
    My kids dont understand as they are Digital age and appreciate all the benefits of No white noise,pops,hiss,s,auto tune,etc.........

Anyways Very cool thread OP as I have been a fond keeper of albums since my first purchase in 69 which was you guessed it Bozo.
    Lol.

16. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Do you guys just hit shuffle and play, regardless of whether or not you know the song??

This sounds like a lot of fun, frustrating but fun...cant believe ive never done this...

I have a good stereo in my guitar area and can connect an ipod to it as well...I gotta try this

17. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

With the Grateful Dead ... I know the tunes and they also do a lot of Jammin' so there's lots of playing options... The recordings of live shows... in which the Dead were known for playing as they feel, meaning they didn't play everything the same way every time... There's a whole lot of variety... so you can learn a lot as good and well.

Same with playing to shuffling tunes... If you don't know 'em... you pick up quick.... I've been playing by ear all my life, so picking up quick-smart is no worries.. But I've found most players catch on quick, even without much experience trying....

18. V-Type

V-Type Member

I do this with an Mp3 player and my stereo as well.
    I make certain tunings and or genre,band playlists and press play and have at it for a couple few at times.
    Im a 80's Metal guy primarily and love shuffling Dio,Ozzy,VH,Ratt,JP,etc... around for noodling play along nirvana.

Pipe it all in stereo with a Pod and headphones and boom knowbody is the wiser as well for late night play.

19. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Playing along with records is one of the best things you can use to keep your time and rhythm chops up to speed.

I love playing rhythm with my Stax box set. With the rhythm section basically being Booker T & The MGs, it keeps me in the laid back mode where I like to be. Since guitar players often tend to rush, I find it very helpful to get in their groove.

I also love playing along with The Crusaders.

If you haven't tried it, put on your favorite play along but forget about the flashy solos. Use the time to get your rhythm in the pocket.

For ear training, sit with the TV and play along with whatever is on. Background music in shows, commercials and all. A lot of the music is in keys that aren't guitar centric. It will help open up your ears and you knowledge of the fretboard.

20. drolling

drolling Member

Yep.. guilty as charged

But I'm partial to playing along with classic instrumental stuff, like Booker T & the Meters, and i've found that tuning's often an issue; Even when there's keyboards, the pitch will vary by a few cents from track to track - I guess this could be down to inconsistencies in tape speed?

I have had limited success running my guitar (or the source material) thru' a digital pitch shifter, but it's a bit of a PITA to wire it up

There's gotta be an easier way

OTOH, thanks to my Strobostomp, I'm usually spot-on when playing along with recent recordings. It's just a lot harder to keep up with the new crop of hotshot guitarists!