Are you using more Joyo/Caline etc "type" low cost pedals now that they seem to be sounding good, or

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by C-4, Apr 3, 2020.

1. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    are you still disposed to use the higher end pedals?
    I've been watching YouTube vids on inexpensive pedals lately, and some of them are sounding good enough to use in band situations and recording.

Is this going to possibly hurt the higher end and small builder companies, who are so prolific these days? With all the choices, are some of these builders going to be feeling this in their wallet?

What say you?

2. mikebjammin

mikebjammin Member

I still prefer to use "higher end" pedals due to reliability.

I recently got an American Sound by Joyo and I'm REAL impressed by the sounds out of it.

3. arty kewpcer

arty kewpcer Member

A few of mine purchased in the last few months, regrettably including my American Sound, have developed noise issues.

4. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I have a bunch of them. Currently on my board are pedals from Rowin, Mosky, Mooer, Valeton. I also have a bunch from Caline, Joyo, Tomsline, and a few others. I also have several pedals between $100 to $300. All of those are sitting in a drawer gathering dust.

5. Jumi

Jumi Member

Well, I just bought a B-stock Mooer GE250 to compare with my Helix. It was just in order to give it a try. I didn't think the amp simulations would sound so much better than those of the Helix, but it does:phones
    So yes I'm going to use more and more chinese products if they are that good. If only they were good looking too. Most of the time they are so ugly ^^
    I also have a mini rat from a chinese brand. It's been a few years and it's still my main drive pedal.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    forgivenman, SweetClyde99 and riffy like this.
  6. olejason

olejason Member

If at all possible I'm only buying American or Canadian built effects from here on out. I have no problem with anyone who uses Joyo stuff, it sounds fine.

7. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

I’m very picky. I try anything, and I’ve owned more pedals than most of my local guitar stores put together, but none of the cheap stuff has ever stayed with me. Most of the expensive stuff doesn’t either. I hunt for pedals that do what I want as well as possible, are reliable, quiet and durable. Usually that stuff ends up being quite expensive.

openbar likes this.
  8. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

No - although they might sound fine, they mostly feel cheap and look cheap. There is not one single of these cheap Chinese pedals that makes me say: yeah that looks sexy. Sorry, but for me it's also about the looks.

drifterphase, tonedover and fretless like this.
  9. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

Some of those pedals do sound nice, but at the end of the day most of them are still just ripping off other people’s designs, cloning it with the cheapest parts and cheapest labor on the planet, and trying to make money off it. I don’t want to go too far down the road of ethical internet grandstanding, but that’s not really the type of company I prefer to support or product I like to use.

10. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Like everyone else in the industry.....

Peps, 3screw, Grenville and 5 others like this.
  11. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

i have bought some to check out different circuits but i recently got a mosky to try and replace a more expensive pedal, i have the mi audio super crunch box and i got the mosky crunch red distortion and it is way off, i think it has changed my opinion on these knock offs a bit, obviously if its a pedal that's expensive or out of production like the electric mistress or boss vibrato (waza is still pricey) i will still be open to getting a cheap clone, but if its a clone of current production boss or mxr like a phase 90 or blues driver, ill just pay the extra 20 bucks and get one off ebay, ill better quality and a little more resale value

tonedover and TELECASTER88 like this.
  12. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

Everything that I'm currently using runs from Boss to MXR to DOD to Way Huge, Earthquaker, Lovepedal, Fulltone, and Union Tube & Transistor.

I'm not thinking about price, but what sounds good for what I want to hear.

Quarter Tone likes this.
  13. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

huh?

fretless likes this.
  14. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I tried my first Joyo last June, The American Sound. Since then I have gotten Nux, Donner, Caline, Rowin, Mosky, Azor (Caline subsidiary for mini pedals), Kokko and Kmise (Joyo subsidiary for mini pedals). None have let me down, they do what they are supposed to do and right now my favorite distortion that I have ever owned is the Caline Sand Storm. From what I've read it's based on something called the MI Audio Crunch Box. It's the best Van-Halen-In-A-Box I personally have ever heard. The presence knob really lets you dial in that sizzling top end that Ed made famous. The Caline Leon Drive is supposed to be like an OCD and I like the way it sounds. The Donner Jet Convolution Flanger apparently is modeled after the Mooer E-Lady which is supposed to be like an Electric Mistress. I can do both Run Like Hell and Unchained with that flanger. The Kmise phaser is an orange one knob phaser. And I like it a lot. So much so I'm trading my Boss PH3 once this quarantine is lifted. It's not that the PH-3 is no good. It's just that it's got so many darn knobs and the one option I do like on it, the 4 stage, has a volume drop. The Kmise phaser can do Breathe and Eruption. The Nux Monterey Univibe is amazing. It flipping sounds like Machine Gun and Bridge of Sighs.

I personally don't see the need to spend a ton of money on pedals anymore. I do want to buy a JHS pedal one day because I really like how Josh Scott supports and plugs many other pedal brands. Just on that reason alone I am willing to buy one of his pedals. But other than that, I'm probably just getting the aforementioned brands. I'd buy something like an EHX or Boss still. Both are reliable and give me the sound I want.

15. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

The entire industry is based on copying previous designs and finding effective ways of making money from them. Some choose to make specialized but more expensive clones, others use price as a selling point. But I'm willing to bet that you have at least one or two clones of prior circuits or designs or products that while they may not be clones, are based on previous circuits.

16. blackbird

blackbird Member

ok, altough they sound fine to you, they look cheap and you care about it enough- no problem. But what does feel cheap means anyway?

17. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

I am not above buying knockoffs. I will never rate a Klon. I like my Nux Horseman.

hoohoodilly and Electric I like this.
  18. thecomposinator

thecomposinator Supporting Member

I just for a Joyo American Sound and it sound cheap, but awesome? I don't know but I am sure having fun with it!

Electric I likes this.
  19. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

I have no problem with people making money off pedals, maybe I worded that poorly, if you’re working in this industry you should be able to make a comfortable living. But to me as a buyer, if someone takes a well known circuit, modifies it in a useful or interesting way, builds it with quality parts and quality construction, is honest about what they are selling, that has an appeal to me. Or if they take an out of production pedal and do the same, i might be interested in that. Just taking a RC Booster, or Timmy, or sweet honey OD and making an exact clone and mass producing it with super cheap parts in factories with possibly questionable working conditions and wages......it just has no appeal to me at all even if the end product sounds decent.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Electric I and Adagietto like this.
  20. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

I have a few I like and I’m not married to any brands.