Are You What You Imagined?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 8len8, Jun 14, 2019.

1. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

17 year old beginner me would be awestruck at 44 year old pretty decent player me. He’d also be a little pissed I’m not awaiting induction to the Hall of Fame in a Red Sox cap.

Tommy Biggs, rusty and Sam Sherry like this.
  2. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

John Mayer, is that you?

amstrtatnut likes this.
  3. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

I picked up guitar at thirteen and had no idea of what I expected to be, except perhaps an astronaut. By eighteen I had an idea. By twenty I'd already been in a band that was offered a contract and turned it down. The band split and I was left with a moment of, "What do I want to do when I grow up?"

1. I knew I wanted to fall in love with a beautiful woman, marry, stay together, and have a family. I wasn't aware of any of my musical influences who were able to pull that off.
    2. I knew I wanted to make music.
    3. I knew I wanted to record and produce music.
    4. I knew I wanted to make enough money for my future wife to live at ease.

So now, forty-two years later from the crossroads, I've pulled off every one above except number 4. Thank goodness my beautiful wife is satisfied with a husband who is still madly in love with her. I can tell you from experience that the three out of four I have are pretty cool.

Bob

Oriondk, Sam Sherry and Banditt like this.
  4. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

For the most part, yeah. I play more acoustic than I thought I would be other than that, pretty close.

Also very happy with my gear for the most part.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

I imagined myself a human being, and I have lived up to it so far. ;)

6. John Vasco

John Vasco Member

1. No, because if someone had said to me in my late teens that I would still be gigging at the age of 68, I would have said 'you're having a larf!'

2. No, because I never thought at that time I would presently be gigging Les Pauls and a Mesa Boogie (which company did not exist back then). Late-'60s, I was focused on rock music, not blues and Rhythm & Blues.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

It could be worse. :wave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

No, then he would say TGP fanbois think he's the greatest. :rolleyes:

9. Losov

Losov Member

I play better now than I ever thought I would. As for material, I started as a folkie back in that era; and while I still do play acoustic shows, it ain’t nuthin like what I was playing back then.

10. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

When I started in my teens I don’t think I ever thought that far ahead about guitar playing. If asked I probably would have thought I’d still be playing metal at house parties. I certainly wouldn’t have predicted playing for a female vocal group with a record deal, doing musical theatre shows, or playing headlining sets to thousands of people at reggae/world music festivals.

Gear-wise I probably would have thought there’d be more 4x12s in my live rig :)

Oriondk likes this.
  11. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

I take life day by day and don't plan mush.

12. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Nope. I thought I would be much better than I am.

13. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

I didn't pick up the guitar until I turned 30.

As a teenager, I would have thought that If I could play Black Sabbath NIB, I would be set. After learning NIB, I realized that I am not as creative as Iommi. I can play it, but I can't create it.

14. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

well not really. back in the day i imagined i'd be a shred king winging off fabulous solos in my million selling band. that certainly didn't happen at all. gear wise it's tough to say as most of what i have didn't exist at all or in the current form. i would have killed to have my main amp say in the mid 80s (Peavey Ultra) as well as some of the pedal i have now. it's funny guitar wise as things kind of went full circle. my first "real" guitar was an Ibanez strat copy (wish i still had than one) i went on to a lower end Gibson SG and then to a BC Rich Mockingbird ( really wish i still had that US made and a great guitar). now i have a real Strat , an SG and a BC Rich Eagle (though not US made). in between were a whole bunch of different guitars. playing wise it took a few years to come to the realization that no matter how many hours i put in i was never going to be a shred king (or even court jester). once i came to terms with that and started to play what came more naturally i ended up a much happier player (though still not all that good).

life wise again not at all and never envisioned myself where i am now. not necessarily a bad thing but it' s been an interesting road.

15. Kempercat30

Kempercat30 Supporting Member

Musically as a player, singer, performer and writer yes. But I thought I’d be a famous rockstar...☹️

16. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

At 60, I play and sing with much more variety ( styles?) than I ever thought I ever dreamed of, when I 'just' wanted to be solely a blues ( be it on electric or acoustic) guitarist, say in my late 20's

Never thought I'd get so much into playing ( and singing) Bluegrass, folk, rockabilly, Country, pop, Grateful Dead,, solo instrumentals; even a little theater work, along with a lot of blues...( it's ALL kind of related though, to me)

I'm not successful at all in terms of $$, from all this, but I LOVE the musical adventure!

17. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

She’s so hot.

:love:

18. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Yep. When I was 15, I wanted to play blues as a hobby, jam and play an occasional gig. My gear is better than I expected, but so is my income and the availability of great gear at good prices.

19. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Started at 24, thought I’d at least be a good, not great, but good jazzer with my own nice sounding style...

Yeah, that didn’t happen. Still practice, but I’ll never even be a competent jazz player, much less ever being good.

20. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

yes