Are You What You Imagined?

Bob Womack

I picked up guitar at thirteen and had no idea of what I expected to be, except perhaps an astronaut. By eighteen I had an idea. By twenty I'd already been in a band that was offered a contract and turned it down. The band split and I was left with a moment of, "What do I want to do when I grow up?"

1. I knew I wanted to fall in love with a beautiful woman, marry, stay together, and have a family. I wasn't aware of any of my musical influences who were able to pull that off.
2. I knew I wanted to make music.
3. I knew I wanted to record and produce music.
4. I knew I wanted to make enough money for my future wife to live at ease.

So now, forty-two years later from the crossroads, I've pulled off every one above except number 4. Thank goodness my beautiful wife is satisfied with a husband who is still madly in love with her. I can tell you from experience that the three out of four I have are pretty cool.

Bob

shredtrash

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
For the most part, yeah. I play more acoustic than I thought I would be other than that, pretty close.

Also very happy with my gear for the most part.

John Vasco

1. If you're over 40, did you end up like what your teen self who started playing guitar thought you'd be like?

2. Do you play the type of music and use the type of gear that you thought you would?
1. No, because if someone had said to me in my late teens that I would still be gigging at the age of 68, I would have said 'you're having a larf!'

2. No, because I never thought at that time I would presently be gigging Les Pauls and a Mesa Boogie (which company did not exist back then). Late-'60s, I was focused on rock music, not blues and Rhythm & Blues.

Losov

I play better now than I ever thought I would. As for material, I started as a folkie back in that era; and while I still do play acoustic shows, it ain’t nuthin like what I was playing back then.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
When I started in my teens I don’t think I ever thought that far ahead about guitar playing. If asked I probably would have thought I’d still be playing metal at house parties. I certainly wouldn’t have predicted playing for a female vocal group with a record deal, doing musical theatre shows, or playing headlining sets to thousands of people at reggae/world music festivals.

Gear-wise I probably would have thought there’d be more 4x12s in my live rig :)

twoheadedboy

If you're over 40, did you end up like what your teen self who started playing guitar thought you'd be like?

Do you play the type of music and use the type of gear that you thought you would?
Nope. I thought I would be much better than I am.

I didn't pick up the guitar until I turned 30.

As a teenager, I would have thought that If I could play Black Sabbath NIB, I would be set. After learning NIB, I realized that I am not as creative as Iommi. I can play it, but I can't create it.

monwobobbo

well not really. back in the day i imagined i'd be a shred king winging off fabulous solos in my million selling band. that certainly didn't happen at all. gear wise it's tough to say as most of what i have didn't exist at all or in the current form. i would have killed to have my main amp say in the mid 80s (Peavey Ultra) as well as some of the pedal i have now. it's funny guitar wise as things kind of went full circle. my first "real" guitar was an Ibanez strat copy (wish i still had than one) i went on to a lower end Gibson SG and then to a BC Rich Mockingbird ( really wish i still had that US made and a great guitar). now i have a real Strat , an SG and a BC Rich Eagle (though not US made). in between were a whole bunch of different guitars. playing wise it took a few years to come to the realization that no matter how many hours i put in i was never going to be a shred king (or even court jester). once i came to terms with that and started to play what came more naturally i ended up a much happier player (though still not all that good).

life wise again not at all and never envisioned myself where i am now. not necessarily a bad thing but it' s been an interesting road.

Carvincat30

Supporting Member
Musically as a player, singer, performer and writer yes. But I thought I’d be a famous rockstar...☹

Bluedano1

If you're over 40, did you end up like what your teen self who started playing guitar thought you'd be like?

Do you play the type of music and use the type of gear that you thought you would?
At 60, I play and sing with much more variety ( styles?) than I ever thought I ever dreamed of, when I 'just' wanted to be solely a blues ( be it on electric or acoustic) guitarist, say in my late 20's

Never thought I'd get so much into playing ( and singing) Bluegrass, folk, rockabilly, Country, pop, Grateful Dead,, solo instrumentals; even a little theater work, along with a lot of blues...( it's ALL kind of related though, to me)

I'm not successful at all in terms of $$, from all this, but I LOVE the musical adventure!

Don A

Silver Supporting Member
Yep. When I was 15, I wanted to play blues as a hobby, jam and play an occasional gig. My gear is better than I expected, but so is my income and the availability of great gear at good prices.

Jazzandmore

Gold Supporting Member
Started at 24, thought I’d at least be a good, not great, but good jazzer with my own nice sounding style...

Yeah, that didn’t happen. Still practice, but I’ll never even be a competent jazz player, much less ever being good.

jnovac1

Supporting Member

yes

Trending Topics