Are You What You Imagined?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 8len8, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I’ve learned that I am a terrible fortune teller....

stratohiker and Lef T like this.
  2. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

thanks man, i hadn’t seen that before.

3. KevWind

KevWind Member

Ya, I thought that was a pretty cool performance

4. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I had modest dreams growing up in the 70s-80s on a small family ranch in Oklahoma. I am completely self-taught, and music was very hard to come by, unless I just recorded off the radio.

A few years ago, my mom found a “goals list” I’d written when I was 15. The goals seem modest now, but we’re outrageously ambitious then.

All have been checked, along with many I never dreamed of in 1986.

stratohiker, Madsen and WordMan like this.
  5. Drew66

Drew66 Member

No and no.

6. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

didn't realize the industry would utterly implode like it did as nobody predicted the effect of the broadband/wifi internet revolution in regards to demonetizing guitar-based music,
    but in regards to my own playing i'm about 66.6% as good as i should be :p
    (which is more or less what i expected)

buddaman71 likes this.
  7. Winterwind

Winterwind Member

More or less. My hands aren't as dexterous as they used to be but I'm a better all around musician. My voice struggles on some higher notes too but aging is what it is.

stratohiker likes this.
  8. Young John

Young John Member

Nope. The only thing I've excelled at in 30 years is stealing oxygen from people who'd make much better use of it.

9. Madsen

Madsen Member

Things I thought would accumulate occurred sequentially. I've done pretty much everything I set out to do when I started at some point over the years. Really happy with the sound & setup I have at this point, which is far better than what I dreamed of as a kid thanks to technology.

stratohiker likes this.
  10. 8raw

8raw Member

No. I'm good with that, it's fun going somewhere new, even if it means starting over (again).

11. stratohiker

stratohiker Member

My axiom to younger than me people over the years who ask about playing in bands, etc......
    "play in as many types of gigging bands as you can get away with, then, as you do, you'll suck less and less"
    I think I at least resemble my own words........

Oriondk likes this.
  12. s2y

s2y Member

My overall health and job are excellent. I have exceeded goals I would have had as a kid. Never thought I'd get married or have kids, either.

Musically, bit of a frustrating dud. I was somewhat of a slow learner when I was in high school and college. Perhaps I lacked some confidence and my learning was adequate. I constantly took too many credit hours and worked weekends, which wasn't a good combo for being in a band.

I had about 5 years from graduation to getting married. Had a little fun with bands. Probably could have done better if I branched out sooner. I put a little too much focus on my job, which paid in the long run financially. The serious bands didn't want a guy like me who worked so much.

Now I'm "too old" for the bands that plan on making it and the scene is fairly dead. Very frustrating because I have gotten much better on guitar and bass as time has gone on. I recently auditioned for some bands, bringing perhaps the best sounding acoustic in my area and played it very well. One band never responded to me. The other was a female duet that sent me my rejection. "You're a good player and you'll make some band really happy, but you're not a good fit." LOL, did I just get friend zoned?!

Oriondk likes this.
  13. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

[​IMG]

NorCal_Val likes this.
  14. ckyrost

ckyrost Member

25 and after reading all this, Im having a panic attack because I didnt practice today
    As long as Im happy when I hit 40...guess thats all one can really ask for:rolleyes:

15. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I wanted to be a professional musician up to ~26, tried my best but never made it and life caught up to me (and I really have no reason to have regrets).
    I saw myself as a probable behind the scenes guitarist (no name solid backing band and/or studio guitarist) as well as a songwriter (for others).
    I still play and I still gig so things are fine ~49.

stratohiker likes this.
  16. tweedster

tweedster Member

I’m 60. Been playing since 15. Taught for 20 years (Hey Dad, do you give lessons? I played some kids guitar, and they asked who I learned from). I’m way better than I ever thought I would be. Music and guitar playing have been one of the greatest joys of my life. I’m glad I did it my way - steady scientific professional work, family life, etc., with playing/music/songwriting/producing/teaching a serious allocation of time (2 hours a day, on average over 45 years).

In response to question #2, regarding gear, I was forever imprinted by the tones of Clapton playing a humbucker through a Marshall, Jimi’s Strat through a Marshall, through a Marshall, an$ Roy Buchanan’s Tele through a Fender. Still love those tones.

I write the most of the music I play (P&W), plus blues (my fi4st love).

The original influences; Clapton, 3 Kings, Dylan, Dead, Neil Young, am radio circa 1964-1971, fm radio 1972-1976), never changed. My musical tastes & influences from early childhood through puberty exert a permanent and lasting influence.

You can hear me play on YouTube.

TGP note: B&G guitar through Axe 8 + CLR. Tracked direct.Extended mixo Guitar leads @ 7:58 and beyond. Ableton Live for triggering drum & bass loops.

Hat tip to TGP regulars on the playing and technique sub for all the music info they taught me (Candy! They’re giving it away for free!).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Oriondk likes this.
  17. slybird

slybird Member

If you asked me 22 years ago if I would still be alive at 40 my answer would have been a firm no.

18. gyeniceri

gyeniceri Member

I am 40+.

I used to listen Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer in high school, I mean, come on, there was no other band to listen :phones

I bought a cheap guitar and a (wait for it...) MT2 pedal. I was in heaven.

Then I've found Joe Satriani and Steve Vai and Andy Timmons, Dream Theatre etc. etc.

I still listen those bands and really enjoy cranking the volume in the car, windows down, letting people hear these amazing tunes while the stereo screaming "Fight fire with fire, ending is near".

Just recently, I acquired some new pedals and started listening blues a bit more. I think I am finally maturing.

19. Blaqhat

Blaqhat Silver Supporting Member

I never had a clue of where I'd end up. When I tried to imagine it would end up amusingly wrong for me. Back then we would sit around and try to predict how we'd turn out. Friends painted a grand (in my mind) future of where I'd end up. Back then I knew different. For the most part life is freakishly exactly where I thought it would be and it is good. As far as music, I'm suprised my interest is as strong as it is and skills are better than ever but back then when I heard EVH I knew the world would have the motherload of really good/great players. I'm a dreamer at times, but know my limits.

20. tubedude

tubedude Member

In my twenties I was playing every weekend with no attention of a family life. I met a beautiful lady ,married, had a family and still played out regularly. I really never thought I would still be gigging on a regular basis at 61. A pleasant surprise.
    My wife passed over ten years ago. I now feel like that twenty old man I once was before I met my wife. Life came full circle with me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    stratohiker likes this.