Are young people accepting the value of higher quality listening?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by teleman1, Dec 22, 2017.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Are they spending money on hi-quality downloads. Does the improvement in sound matter to them, or is low end mp3 their favorite flavor?

2. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

do their parents?
    schools?
    friends?
    internets?
    governments?
    departmen stores?
    internets?

3. Family Man

Family Man Supporting Member

How young?

Obviously, it depends what groups you're talking about (techies, gamers, musicians, etc). My impression is that the average joe doesn't care if he's listening to high quality stuff vs low quality stuff, as long as it's not scratchy and doesn't cut out.

ChorusCrackpot likes this.
  4. brockmann

brockmann Member

I’m in my early 30’s and blast the 200+ old rock lp’s I have through my old turntable and rock out to Mountain and early ZZ Top and Johnny Winter just as hard as all you older dudes did 30-40 years ago. I can’t stand digital media and most newer technology in general. There’s still some younger blood flowing through the old school rock vein. Turn it up!

jens5, Simon, Telechamp and 3 others like this.
  5. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

When brickwalling was starting to become de riguer, I found many bands I was recording actually liked the crappy sound and clipping.

The way most modern music is mastered, it doesn't really matter what the source material sounds like.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I'd venture to guess that 99.99999999% do not even know how good a recording can be made, and how it would actually sound; most probably have not listened to a really good (or, even a mediocre) stereo system, ever.

Funky54, jens5, JWDubois and 5 others like this.
  7. dconeill

dconeill Member

Most people seem to listen to music over little portable players or mobile phones with indifferent amplification circuitry and through crummy earbuds. (In most cases - some people spend thousands on players and headphones, but there aren't very many of those.) What difference does it make if the source material is lossy or compressed?

Music is background. Most people, now as in former times, don't listen closely, they just put it on for some noise while they're washing the dishes.

8. vladimirwolfe

vladimirwolfe Supporting Member

Very true. We've forgotten the joy of quiet and natural ambient sound. Also, high quality playback systems have always been a niche market and not just recently. Remember cassette's?

yeky83 likes this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

The right cassette recorder with quality tape can produce excellent results. IME.

Your comment about the joy of quiet and natural ambient sound brought an interesting memory to mind. Some friends and I (we lived in L.A. at the time) were in Las Vegas in the mid '80s for a CES convention. One of my friends had his brother with him who was in town from Boston and had never been out west before. We went to Red Rock Canyon, west of the city, and after parking at a trailhead we sat on some rocks nearby before going on the trail (IIRC, they were not red :D). My friend's brother looked confused; when we asked him what was wrong he said couldn't hear anything. This was the first time he had ever been anywhere that had no background noise! It was eerily silent out there, something the rest of us were used to from our many hikes in wild places. That must have been quite a revelation to him.

10. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Silver Supporting Member

There's a lot of "if" coming from the original question. Objectively high quality audio requires that certain ingredients are present. You need good source material, proper storage or means of getting at the audio in an uncompressed manner, a good listening device, a decent room if you aren't using headphones, and the ears/patience to know what sounds good in the first place.

This is why it will remain a niche market. You have to want it. It doesn't cost a lot to at least get middling to decent quality playback, but it does take some forethought and a conscious effort.

GA20T, IGuitUpIGuitDown and yeky83 like this.
  11. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

where does this question come from ? this might sound harsh but the premise of this thread is pretentious

ChorusCrackpot likes this.
  12. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Silver Supporting Member

I don't know about pretentious...ignorant, maybe. This conversation is not a new one. Since the proliferation of mobile devices, the trend has been that you can get your music anywhere you want it...but there still isn't a way to make great sound come forth from a speaker that is less than a centimeter across unless it is a headphone.

13. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

the pioneers of good sound, edgar villchur, henry kloss, paul klipsch, rudy bozak, saul marantz, avery fisher, and many others, made quality sound repro possible for anyone who cared enough. this is referred to as the golden age. my heroes. you can get some of that stuff for “peanuts” today. with a little refurb, it’s just as good as it ever was.

spaolino1590 and HammyD like this.
  14. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

I don't think the premise of the thread is either pretentious nor ignorant. They are simply inquiring if people of another generation have a particular possibly shared interest. There is no need to be judgemental of either those who do regard fidelity as important and those who do not.

I think you have to take into consideration the perspective of those who may have grown up with iPods and portable players. I think you have to consider the means and venues in which most of the music they have been exposed to, and the impression it would have lead and point of reference created.

Much of the music they would have been exposed to would be heavily produced for commercial use and would often be an accompaniment to a television program or film. Even if they attended concerts those most likely would have been heavily produced, often with lip syncing and backing tracks. The idea of hearing a band live without a massive "Front of House" system finely tuned for the most polished sound is the exception. So the concept of fidelity as being "lifelike" or realistic may be foreign to them.

When I worked at the college I invited a bunch of the kids that worked at the internet radio station I built for them to a local venue. A little hole in the wall, so small that when you entered the front door you had to walk between the guitarist and the B3 player as they were performing. I don't think any of them had ever heard a professional band up close and personal.

They were blown away by the sound and the experience.

They then started to search for recordings with music the same vibe and in turn then looked to higher fidelity means of delivery.

Faulting the kids for not being audiophiles is like faulting someone who has no interest in going to the beach when they have never been to the ocean.

15. spence

spence Member

They would if they ever get the chance to listen to a great system.

16. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

I cannot believe how much better my cd-ripped .flac files sound on my hi-res dap. The 160gb iPod Classic 7th Generation NEVER sounded this good.

Many people today are destroying their hearing with sh!tty portable audio played on even worse gear. And your ears couldn't give a ****.

When they're dead, they're dead.

F***ing iPods. :facepalm

17. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

What ever they're listening to, the quality is probably better than most of my contemporaries were hearing 50 years ago. Scratchy records (many of them in mono), console hi-fi's, portable record players, transistor radios playing AM stations, juke boxes, were all a lot more common than high end stereos.

18. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

Great real life story ...

19. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Yes it seems strange that many have never been around a home stereo, and have no idea how cool they are.
    But times change, and some of it doesn't have to make sense.
    I remember the first Boom boxes, You could now take your music with You!
    And when Appliance stores had huge rooms with all stereo equipment for sale, from beginner quality, to what TGP would call boutique, and I'm talking more expensive then todays trendiest amps..
    I still have one in my living room with CD's, and it sounds great!

I was a young kid when the first portable cassette recorders came out, and it was crazy fun,,, and strange to hear your own voice for the first time.

Today a kid on YouTube shows you how to play a tune, I remember lifting many a record players needle over and over to learn parts of songs, and I had no tuner!
    You can be in your 50's and remember most all of what I'm talking about.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  20. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

The vendors who are selling kids their four-inch $200 "bluetooth speaker" will cash in further in a year or two releasing 'new, innovative, breakthrough 2.0 technology'.

"Now with two speakers, a left and a right for a listening experience like nothing you've ever heard"...

The rebirth of the stereo generation. I wonder what they'll call it now?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    jens5 and HammyD like this.