Are young people accepting the value of higher quality listening?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by teleman1, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Davy

Davy Supporting Member

Young people? I'm 50. I can count on a couple of fingers the number of friends my age who have even remotely decent systems. Likewise the number of people I know who even have a decent collection of music. Most people really don't care all that much about music and that's been my experience no matter the age bracket.

2. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

Well yeah. Way most people couldn't care less about about music, let alone hi-fi.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Shame that is so, too.

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

The touch is the only one left and the music player function is secondary.

5. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I agree with your comments for optimum sound reproduction. However even poor source material “can” be made to sound better through good gear. Yes the better the gear the more revealing... and many purest don’t want any knobs or colorization, but for some both is available. Without exception I can make any vinyl regardless of source surpass my oppo 105 digital reproduction. I run two tables. One as revealing and detailed as I can afford and tune. The other concentrated on romanticizing the cold brutal digital truth. With fat colorful tube selection and carts that present warm rolled off brutal high end noise I can enjoy bad recording more than what is normal.

All this comes down to gear and tuning.
    So gear matters no matter the source.

6. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Who is listening to MP3 anymore? iTunes has been using the AAC format for quite some time.

If you try to tell me you can hear a difference between an AAC and a WAV you are lying.

7. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Thank you. And mp3s or any lossy files played on headphones or earbuds will hurt your ears MUCH faster than lossless. I've listened to music for 24 hrs straight with both formats. HUGE difference in ear pain. I didn't even turn up past barely audible volumes, either.

8. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Buy a dap. Even horrendous lossy mp3s will sound better than any Touch. And you'll get more EQ features depending on the model.
    Astell&Kern luxurious daps can go for 5K. Mine was less than that, but was a different brand.

9. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Silver Supporting Member

My primary concern is being able to buy and play back music from the same device. Right, wrong or otherwise, my home listening is not in a great environment, for long periods of time or with fantastic speakers.

The bonus is that I can remote control my iP1000 with it.

10. soggy mittens

soggy mittens Member

Most younger people I've spoke to about this topic don't understand any problem with lossy or mp3s/aac. They're content with shlt basically.

It's such a shame and I don't see any shift to lossless happening until the internet can handle streaming larger data from higher quality files. It should have happened by now, it's long over due.