Are young people accepting the value of higher quality listening?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by teleman1, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Davy

Davy Supporting Member

Young people? I'm 50. I can count on a couple of fingers the number of friends my age who have even remotely decent systems. Likewise the number of people I know who even have a decent collection of music. Most people really don't care all that much about music and that's been my experience no matter the age bracket.

GA20T and 2016aug29 like this.
  2. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

Well yeah. Way most people couldn't care less about about music, let alone hi-fi.

teleman1 likes this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Shame that is so, too.

teleman1 likes this.
  4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

The touch is the only one left and the music player function is secondary.

5. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I agree with your comments for optimum sound reproduction. However even poor source material “can” be made to sound better through good gear. Yes the better the gear the more revealing... and many purest don’t want any knobs or colorization, but for some both is available. Without exception I can make any vinyl regardless of source surpass my oppo 105 digital reproduction. I run two tables. One as revealing and detailed as I can afford and tune. The other concentrated on romanticizing the cold brutal digital truth. With fat colorful tube selection and carts that present warm rolled off brutal high end noise I can enjoy bad recording more than what is normal.

All this comes down to gear and tuning.
    So gear matters no matter the source.

6. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Who is listening to MP3 anymore? iTunes has been using the AAC format for quite some time.

If you try to tell me you can hear a difference between an AAC and a WAV you are lying.

7. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Thank you. And mp3s or any lossy files played on headphones or earbuds will hurt your ears MUCH faster than lossless. I've listened to music for 24 hrs straight with both formats. HUGE difference in ear pain. I didn't even turn up past barely audible volumes, either.

teleman1 likes this.
  8. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Buy a dap. Even horrendous lossy mp3s will sound better than any Touch. And you'll get more EQ features depending on the model.
    Astell&Kern luxurious daps can go for 5K. Mine was less than that, but was a different brand.

9. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

My primary concern is being able to buy and play back music from the same device. Right, wrong or otherwise, my home listening is not in a great environment, for long periods of time or with fantastic speakers.

The bonus is that I can remote control my iP1000 with it.

10. soggy mittens

soggy mittens Member

Most younger people I've spoke to about this topic don't understand any problem with lossy or mp3s/aac. They're content with shlt basically.

It's such a shame and I don't see any shift to lossless happening until the internet can handle streaming larger data from higher quality files. It should have happened by now, it's long over due.

11. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

I'm 67 and my children grew up in a home that had way better than average hi fi equipment. Worked in Audio stores in college and a for a short time after had fairly refined taste and access to great deals. My adult children despite their "education" still download or stream all their music. When I mention the quality could be improved, their answer is that it is good enough. Yet when they come to the house they still ask me to play vinyl. Haven't figured out if it's a novelty or they really differentiate?
    ArnieZ

12. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

MOFI makes good recordings, I have an 0nkyo tape deck with 2 motors, no belts, sounds great, makes great
    recordings, have a great selection of type2 tapes. taker easy guys.

13. James824

James824 Supporting Member

My situation exactly. My sons enjoy my system when they visit, but have no interest in anything other than dowloads on their phones.

Jim Moulton and Steve Dallas like this.
  14. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Which AAC? There are several version of the CODEC, and some of them aren't the greatest. Also, not all of us are in the Apple ecosystem. There is life outside of Apple. MP3s encoded at VBR 0 are actually pretty good. That said, I listen to FLAC, when I have the storage available.

15. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

.m4a like the files that download from the iTunes Store.

16. Steve Dallas

iTunes has been around for how many years now? The high quality stuff is fairly new. Plenty of the low quality junk is still in circulation.

17. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

My wife and I have an Apple Music subscription. iTunes checks your library songs against their database and then upgrades the files to the latest AAC resolution if needed.

Anyway in my experience the worst sounding digital files were MP3s that probably originated from the days of Napster. For me that reason the MP3 should just die and go away because AAC is Superior. The latest AAC resolution is so close to a WAV most people can not tell. I’ve blind tested plenty of my musician and audio file friends and none of them can tell the difference between a WAV and AAC. These are people that are much more talented than I am, some have incredible ears and perfect pitch.

18. jblake

jblake Member

Listening to music is not really a singular activity anymore. Most people listen to music in their cars or while engaged in some other activity where the background noise makes ‘higher quality listening’ irrelevant.

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Does any younger person spend any time devoted to sitting and really listening and getting into musical on its own terms, just a boy and his dog, :banana a nice listening system and a couch, for example, to train his concentration on the music first.

Many times I will sit in the dark just letting the music wash over me.

2016aug29 likes this.
  20. Steve Dallas

Gotcha. Did not know Apple had risen to that level. The last time I installed iTunes on Windows, it was a ridiculously huge resource hog that insisted on converting our entire 1TB music library to AAC, with no way to turn that nonsense off. Never again, I insisted.

Much progress has been made in compressing music on many fronts. Microsoft has WMA Lossless and an ultra high quality WMA lossy CODEC as well. There are many others, as I'm sure you know.

High quality MP3s are not so bad either. VBR-0 is good enough that the vast majority of people cannot tell the difference between it and WAV on high end equipment, and no one can tell the difference on average equipment.

MP3 gets its bad reputation from 128kbps CBR, which does indeed suck. CBR looks for areas of relative sameness between the L and R channels and deletes the data from one, then hacks off bass below 20Hz and treble above 20KHz, then hacks it all again according to bit rate. Even 320kbs CBR does this hacking--just less of the latter part. VBR-0 is much more sophisticated, and mostly just removes space from the envelope that isn't occupied by data, although it is more aggressive toward ultra low and ultra high frequencies than some other CODECs. Even though the average bit rate is lower, files are often quite a bit larger than 320 CBR, because VBR will go higher than 320, when there is information to preserve.

For my part, I rip CDs that are very well-produced in both FLAC-8 and VBR-0 MP3. CDs that don't meet that standard are ripped in VBR-0 only to save disk space. Why MP3 still? Compatibility. Anything can play them. We have a variety of players in my household. Some can play FLAC. All can play MP3, including the CD players in our older cars.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    JiveJust likes this.