Are younger players turning away from the Les Paul?

Are younger players turning away from the Les Paul?

• Yes, its a dinosaur of the past

Votes: 191 21.2%
  • No its still as popular as ever

Votes: 268 29.8%
  • It might be losing its popularity

Votes: 440 48.9%

• Total voters
A Les Paul is like a Ferrari, it may be fashionable to like Lamborghini or Porsche for a while but ultimately you can't stop looking at that prancing pony.

Plus...

Shes so hot...... My two favorite things, beautiful girls and beautiful les Paul's..... Though that lp is pretty ugly but hey I'm not hatin!

atarilovesyou

A Les Paul is like a Ferrari, it may be fashionable to like Lamborghini or Porsche for a while but ultimately you can't stop looking at that prancing pony.

Plus...

She may have played guitar at some point, but her playing one now? With the style of pop that she puts out? It looks about as natural as when that rapper did it a few years back. Thank God I forgot his name. She is a pop singer who happens to know how to play guitar.

Companies are accountable today because of the internet and social media. They're trying harder, but it seems much of their energy is going into lawsuits against the little guys. It occurs to me that they don't like the little guys because they make a much better guitar than Gibson so it's embarrassing.

Younger people see through things with social media. But wait.. Gibson actually used social media to piss everyone off, lol! You've got to be kidding me. What an absolute Pepsi-Gillette-Nike move. Alienate your customer base while scaring off new customers is your answer to saving a near bankrupt company?

At least they included some truth in advertising when they put a cracked headstock guitar right on their own web catalog.

But hey, they'e made plenty of blunders in the past as well, it's not just recently. Though interestingly, "Clown Burst" prices have started to go up. I think the novelty of the finish made them a meme and something kind of fun to own. Sort of like a purple muscle car, it's so silly it's cool. Hey, maybe Gibson should do a Clown Burst Reissue :)
so I've been doing a bunch of research because I'm looking to buy a new les paul, I've been looking at a tobacco burst 50s standard or the heritage 150 original burst.... It honestly seems like it's about a wash in the reviews I have read...... I've only played an h 137 n it was really nice but not obviously nicer then the blueberry burst traditional I played a week prior....... Though I'd never get that color, that guitar was ace as was the heritage....... From what I can see the big difference is in resale value giving Gibson the edge, at the fit n finish going to heritage being it uses real pearl inlays and 1 piece back, but I did read the 2020 gibbys are using 1 piece bodies now too...... Idk..... What are some other differences I'm missing?

Raymond Lin

She may have played guitar at some point, but her playing one now? With the style of pop that she puts out? It looks about as natural as when that rapper did it a few years back. Thank God I forgot his name. She is a pop singer who happens to know how to play guitar.
Her sets is 50% new songs mix with 50% of her back catalogue. There’s always an acoustic guitar solo in the set, it’s usually when she appears at the B-Stage by herself sitting on a stool, she would sing 3 songs there.

Generally she writes her music with a guitar or a piano. A lot of them started out that way (if you watch any of the behind the scene video on the making of her albums), sitting in studio on a sofa with an acoustic with her producer firing ideas back at each other.

Raymond Lin

Shes so hot...... My two favorite things, beautiful girls and beautiful les Paul's..... Though that lp is pretty ugly but hey I'm not hatin!
She’s known to do her own “refinish” on her guitars. She has a Taylor acoustic that is covered with fake diamonds (plastic), she literally glued them on one by one herself.

The number 13 is her favourite number and the LP has 13 on it made with very similar plastic diamond bits. So I would think this is her doing and not a special finish from Gibson.

Last edited:
She’s known to do her own “refinish” on her guitars. She has a Taylor acoustic that is covered with fake diamonds (plastic), she literally glued them on one by one herself.

The number 13 is her favourite number and the LP has 13 on it made with very similar plastic diamond bits. So I would think this is her doing and not a special finish from Gibson.

Though her music doesn't resonate with me as it does with you, my assumption based off your interest in her, I find it refreshing that some one young (another assumption based on ur avatar) is listening to something other then rap..... If that's what floats ur boat then raise the sails! If u you are ever interested in a slightly less mainstream female artist I recommend lacey Sturm..... Shes tight..... Also the chick From Civil wars...... Look up Barton hollow by the Civil wars...... Simply amazing......

s2y

Does she actually play? Her "chords" kinda look like an actress/actor pretending to play guitar.

Raymond Lin

Though her music doesn't resonate with me as it does with you, my assumption based off your interest in her, I find it refreshing that some one young (another assumption based on ur avatar) is listening to something other then rap..... If that's what floats ur boat then raise the sails! If u you are ever interested in a slightly less mainstream female artist I recommend lacey Sturm..... Shes tight..... Also the chick From Civil wars...... Look up Barton hollow by the Civil wars...... Simply amazing......
i was listening to Taylor before she went mainstream, I have her first album when she was 15. It just happens that she got popular and then exploded.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
Honestly, if I ever scratch the LP itch again, it probably will be with something like one of the better Japanese copies or at most a Studio. I'm not a pro, just a woodshedder and a sitter-in with local groups/church gatherings, and I can't justify real LP prices. If I had that much disposable cash ... and I don't ... I'd sink it into the acoustic of my dreams.
I've always made sure I had a quality acoustic before breaking the bank on anything electric guitar related. In fact, years ago I sold a Gibson Historic that I dearly loved to get an HD-28. It was not until recently that I was able to get another Historic LP back in the fold. I just can't function without a decent acoustic in the house, even if it doesn't get as much playing time as it should.

Reactions: PRW

Route67

I associate Les Pauls with a little higher volume to get full tone than I feel comfortable with practicing at home - versatility at low volume without sounding thin or anemic may be a strength of the single coil pickup guitar.

If there is a slight decline in LP popularity, it may be related to reduction of venues supporting live guitar bands.

EndGame00

I agree with a poster saying it’s cyclical....Most younger guitar players gravitate towards Multiscale, 7 to 9 strings djent guitars, or any aerodynamic designs...

I started in the mid-80’s so basically I considered LP’s back then as granpaw guitars... the market was flooded with pointy guitars and superstrats and that pretty much what everyone owned...

Route67

Plus...

This is the kind of image Gibson could promote for the Les Paul and help put some old boys club nostalgia to rest :)

sunking101

I associate Les Pauls with a little higher volume to get full tone than I feel comfortable with practicing at home - versatility at low volume without sounding thin or anemic may be a strength of the single coil pickup guitar.
Turn your LP up and your amp down...
Single coils sound thin at any volume.:p

LJOHNS

I did not read all 36 pages here but I think they are just too expensive for younger folks. Quality of import models is way up compared to just a few years ago and they are way cheaper.

Trending Topics