Area 51 verses Foxrox buffer for wahs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fuzzyguitars, Jan 15, 2006.

1. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

I am looking to get a buffer to put into my teese picture wah and rmc3le.

any one compare the two different buffers?

I installed an Area 51 buffer into the picture wah and think that I prefer the sound without it. The only problem is when I use it before fuzz pedals without the buffer it squeals like mad>

The sound with the buffer loses a little of the bottom end and makes the high end a little harsh.

would the foxrox sound better?

2. devbro

devbro Member

I've thought about this many times but never had the balls to try it. I have an RMC3. As you said the buffer will increase highs. Maybe you could dial in the RMC3 to cut the highs.......?

3. drolling

drolling Member

Haven't tried Area51, but I had that same incompatabilty w/wahs & fuzzes that drove me nuts for years.

I went w/Foxrox, and it does work as advertised - slices thru' the sickest/thickest octafuzz/fuzz - no howling, either. But like you say, there's a distinct change in the tone of the wah. Definitely more trebly.

I figured there would be have to be some kind of trade-off, so I did the install on my 'back-up' wah, an old Vox V847. When my sound is slathered w/fuzz & vibe, the difference's not critical.

But when I'm using a wah w/cleaner tones, I pull out the Budda Bud Wah- which sounds more *vox* than a Vox, to my ears..

One thing I've been meaning to try - and it might help, too. Lossen the locknut, pull away that bit of plastic w/teeth and rotate the pot backwards to a more bassy end of the spectrum. This may give you back your lows and tame the shrillness on top.

I've just been too lazy to do it. If you decide to try that, please post back w/results, and I'll get out the tool box again..

4. Curt

Curt Member

I just bought an Area 51 to put in my Picture Wah. (The Wah and the Sunface didn't get along at all with the Wah in front). Anyway, the Area 51 is well built, comes with great instructions and has a slide switch to bypass the mod if you ever feel the need. After soldering about five wires, I was done. The Teese is now in *front* of the Sunface and they sound sweet together. Oh yea, the Area 51 mod also has a small timmer to allow adjustment of the pedal output level. The instructions to install the mod in a *tru bypass* wah is somewhat generic and it doesn't *specifically* detail how how to install one in a a "Teese Wah". If you buy the mod, I'd be happy to explain how to install it. If you have a fuzzface or clone and a tru bypass wah, you really should consider getting the Area 51.
    And..the Area 51 is a whole lot cheaper than the Foxrox too.

5. drolling

drolling Member

Dave charged me $45 shipped internationally. How much is 'a whole lot cheaper'? The Fox instructions could have been clearer too. The color codes on his own wires didn't match up w/the written description. Not the simplest mod I've done, but well worth it..

6. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

yeah, i already rolled back the treadle a little bit and played with the boost trim pot on the area 51.

The buffer is totally well built but the instructions could have been better.

I actually went to the foxrox website and used the instructions on the rmc to figure out how to wire the area 51.

just follow and relabel the colors for in / out/ hot/ ground. and you should be able to figure out how to wire it up.

for now the buffer is switched to off. and i have no plans to try a buffer in the rmcle!:confused:

7. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I'm pulling this out of the past...
    because I have a Foxrox buffer coming for my area 51 wah.

I got it with the intention of using it to try a AM sunface fuzz -
    figuring that even if "fuzz" wasn't for me, I could still use it
    to moderate the volume of the wah....

This thread has me a little concerned that the buffer mod will
    change the tone in a not-good way, and there is not an 'off'
    button on the foxrox...I'd be hesitant to install it if I wasn't sure
    I needed to use a fuzz....

Any other opinions on tonal changes with wah buffers installed?
    Does it affect wahing with clean tones much? Can that be easily moderated
    with adjusting the wah's throw?

8. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

+1 for the Area 51 wah buffer. I have installed both the Area Italian wah kit and wah buffer in 2 old Crybaby wah pedal shells. They work like they're supposed to and the wah circuitboard sounds killer. I played mine side by side with my friend's Teese Picture wah and got the Area 51 wah to sound the same.

Guitar George

9. drolling

drolling Member

Jeez, ken, why'n'cha go with the area 51 buffer kit?

Curt says it's "a hole lot cheaper", too.. Even tho' you've gotta use Dave's instructions to hook it up...

I've still got the FoxRox booster in my V847 and my only real complaint is that it now draws a bit more juice than it used to (I prefer batteries). It is a tad brighter sounding, but works so well w/my fuzzes & octavias there's no way I could go back.

In fact, the Bud's on loan right now so I've been using the VOX exclusively for a while..

Most people won't know the difference, anyway. Remember, I'm the guy who can hear that nonexistant signal loading from volume pedals and digital artifacts in the bypassed tone of Line6 effects. I'm a known wack-job:NUTS

But I'll be curious to hear your take on the booster kit once you've had a chance to road test it..

10. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

y'know -
    I was torn between the two buffer kits, and talked or emailed both builders.
    There was less than $2- difference in costs between them shipped ($45 vs. $43 and change). I went with the one that seemed the more 'standard', that you hear about more....because I was told there was no need for an on/off switch since the buffer doesn't mess with the tone - and I found no indication from what I had read on either builders' site that that was an issue -
    than I came upon this thread today, after ordering...

I'm also a wack-job, kinda sensitive to the little sound/energy things (maybe being an acupuncturist as a day job helps out) -mabye not to the level you seem to be! I can tell that removing my volume pedal made a difference in the tone, and wonder still about whether the AD-900 (which was a marked improvement over the replaced AD-999) should be true-bypassed or not.

Knowing that about myself, i might have to send the buffer back before I install it - since I will always wonder:NUTS

11. retro

retro Member

In my mind the importance of the bypass switch is to allow using it as a non buffered ouput into a fuzz as it offers a different and distinct effect when combined as such.

Basically it offers versatility.

For that reason, I hadn't, or wouldn't I guess, consider it something I wouldn't want to have as an option.

I would however, think it would not be too difficult to bypass the Foxrox mod in the same manner if one wanted to with a little digging.

On the other hand for me, if the buffer would brighten my rig a little that would be a good thing and not a concern at all.