Area 51 Wah Buffer Install in a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe (help!)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by peequin, Feb 23, 2009.

1. peequin

peequin Member

Just got this the buffer in the mail today. The instructions offer very little help because it is for a crybaby.

If anyone has successfully installed this on a Clyde Deluxe let me know. I need to know where the wires go!!!

2. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

3. majorledhead

4. majorledhead

I thought the directions were pretty good. However, I did misplace one of the red wires going to the 9volt tap that caused the battery to drain and the unit to quit working. I emailed these pictures to Dave, he spotted the problem,instant reply. Quick fix, had to move the red wire over to a different post, worked perfect after. I have since sold the wah so I can't take a photo of the final configuration, but whats in the photo is close.

5. peequin

peequin Member

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I have a more recent 2008 version and the switch is a bit different.

I guess I'll just email Area 51

6. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

All you need to do is identify the output from the wah circuit (the only wire going from the pot to the switch) and desolder that wire from the switch and pot. One of the cables in the buffer package will be the "input" (white in the pics above), and it should go on the pot, where the other cable was. Another wire will be the "output" (blue in the pics above), and it should go on the switch (again, where the other cable was).

Then you just have to hook up +9v (red) and ground (black), which both can be found at the adapter jack. There's a big lug coming from the center of the jack out to the side - that's the ground. For the +9v connection, it's one of the other two smaller lugs. One of the lugs will have the battery clip red cable, and the other has a wire to the circuit. The one with the wire to the circuit is the one to use.

/Andreas

7. peequin

peequin Member

Thanks stinky.

After a few hours of trying multiple solder points I'm 99.9% positive I have it the wires where they are supposed to be. Unfortunately, It still does not work. It wahs when the buffer is switched off but not when it is on...dead silence.

I'm thinking I must have fried it in a backwards connection somewhere in my lame attempt to hook this ********ed thing up.

Thing is, this is supposed to be so easy to do. I'm a fairly intelligent guy and have been soldering since I was 15 working on remote control cars (I'm 34 now).

I'll see if Area 51 can send me a replacement.

8. Cableaddict

Cableaddict Member

This is an old thread, but I'm curious about the outcome.

Area 51 now states on their website that the Fulltone must have significant mods done to its power section, in order to run the extra buffer. - and then they don't provide a circuit for such a mod.

Was this the OP's problem, and does anyone have a shematic for such mods?

Alternately, could one possibly remove the Fulltone's original low impedance buffer, replace it with the Area 51 buffer, and not have to worry about the power?

9. airbags

airbags Member

newer clyde deluxes have a buffer/booster built it.

10. drolling

drolling Member

I can certainly speak to the quality of A-51 stuff! Their service, too. I had a few questions for Dan, and ended up ordering the bare minimum parts needed to bring my zombie GCB-95 back to life

Wanted to thank the poster who resurrected this thread from the dead, as I've been curious about the A-51 buffer too; Is it "fuzz-friendly" like Dave Fox' retro-fit buffering kit?

The basic board & pot turned a really lousy wah into a total work of art - Real authentic, old-school Jimi/Eric tones till the cows come home!!

Exact same problems as Jimi had when plugging into a FuzzFace, unfortunately! The only work-around is to have two wahs on board; an RMC (Pic IV) or a VOX 847 w/FoxRox buffering, AND the modded Dunlop w/Area 51 guts

Been thinking of adding one of their buffers to the old Dunlop. Is it any harder to install than the FoxRox kit? If it's not designed to eliminate the oscillating feedback you get when plugging into a vintage-style silicon fuzz box, then does it just boost the signal? Lower the noise-floor?? How does it sound? Does it affect your tone when bypassed?