Area 51 Wah mods?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jkg, Feb 8, 2012.

1. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

I have an original Dunlop crybaby (GCB95) from the early 80s. It's gotten really bad with crackling noise etc., probably sucks a lot of tone from my signal, and is in need of a major overhaul. I searched old threads and Area 51 gets good reviews but it seems like most threads were about people who bought their pedal rather than having mods done to an existing one. Basically I am trying to decide if I should just get the pot changed, true by-pass and maybe the inductor changed or whether it's worth getting the whole drop-in board, which is not cheap. And then, there is the buffer option--is this only to play nice with fuzz or are there other benefits?

I am looking for a good wah tone with no loss of signal when it's in the chain but unused. I've literally used this thing for like 25 years so I have never tried anything else and don't really no what I might be missing with a fancier inductor etc., so I am looking for a little guidance please.

Thoughts? Thoughts on Area 51 for the mod work? my other option is to have someone do the mod work locally in Boston I guess but I am not sure it is any cheaper...

2. dlab

dlab Member

I like Dan's work. Love my Area 51 wah. He sells drop-in kits, that might be what you want...

3. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

I had him true bypass a wah of mine, swap in a new pot and do a few other mods, a couple years ago. He does great work! Send it in.

4. Humancapo

Humancapo Member

+1 on Dan's work, I used an late 60's Italian Vox for years, it was time to retire it (wanted true bypass,etc...) and I've been super happy with my Area 51 wah.

5. geetarman

geetarman Member

+1 Dan does a nice job.

6. SUPERMUFF1

SUPERMUFF1 Member

+3 great guy. ......Killer wah

7. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

Did you switch the circuit board?
    The board and the buffer are kind of the big questions for me--true by-pass and the pot seem like the minimum I could get away with.

Thanks for the responses guys. at least I know I am barking up the right tree.

8. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

No, the circuit board already had some nice vintage components that I didn't want swapped out. I didn't opt for the fuzz friendly buffer either, since I tend to put fuzz before wah and don't mind that type of sound. He was pretty accomodating and only fixed what needed fixing.