Area 58/61/67 with 500K Pots?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by marnold, Feb 5, 2008.

1. marnold

marnold Member

I've got a Floyd Rose DST-3 HSS Strat. It only has one pot, a 500K volume. I'm planning on replacing the single coils with one of the Dimarzio Areas. Will any of the Areas be too bright/harsh with a 500K pot? Would I be better off with an Area 61 because it has a bit more mid-range/low-end to make up for any additional brightness? I'm looking for a nice, shimmery, clean tone that I can blues up with a Tube Screamer.

Does anybody actually know when Dimarzio is going to release the Area 67? Should I wait for it or just go after 58s or 61s?

2. Roark

Roark Member

The 500k will be fine, I changed my 250k to a 500k to get a nice taper from 10 to 0, real important if you use your volume control much, if there is too much treble use a larger cap. I'm doing 58/61/61 in my strat.

The 61's are more compressed than the 58's, 58's are bell like. If your looking for more low end try the Dimarzio 54' pro, they're supposed to sound like a p90.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I'm about to order a new set and I can't decide between these Dimarzio's and the Suhr FL's. Anyone got any first hand recommendations?

4. marnold

marnold Member

After planning on getting Area 61s for a long time, I'm thinking that 58s might be more of the thing for me. I want to lean more toward a vintage kind of tone. As I said before, I figure I can add a Tube Screamer to take it into blues/SRV territory. It seems to me that you can always add midrange, but it's really hard to add high-end if it's not there already.

From what I read from HarryJ, he liked the new Area 67s even better than the 58s and 61s, but I have no idea when Dimarzio is actually going to release them.

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That seems to be the opposite of what I always find. The 250K have the nice taper and the 500K's always jump and don't come on even and gradual all the way through rotation.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Can't generalize about pots really. It depends on how they are spec'd and also whether they are linear or audio/log. The 250 vs. 500 is just the value of the internal resistance trace..they both have the same degree of turning movement.

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yeah but after you sort through all that. What I'm saying is if I take a 250K and a 500K of brand X and they both are audio (or linear) the 250K always plays much nicer with a single or a humbucker. I read a big old thing about why the 250K will have a nicer taper, I don't remember the technical stuff, I just know it works.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I see. I've never had any issues like that thank goodness. I wouldn't use that criteria in choosing my values as the tonal implications are more evident and should be a priority over functionality anyway. There's always the RS Superpots and the newly spec'd WCR's if you're having problems with your 500k pots. Not to mention, the wiring scheme greatly affects the interaction between pickups, pots and output....50's vs. Modern LP wiring for example.

9. JZWest

JZWest Member

I'm going to be giving 330k's a try soon, as 250k is a slight bit on the dull side.

Also, if you measure 250's, they're all over the map. From 208 to 280+.

I measure and mark them. So you may be using a 210 or so and not know it.

10. jamison162

jamison162 Member

You can get them from a few good sources and have them screened.

11. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

the area pickups are designed to work best with 250's.

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

But could we really hear that difference? I always heard where +/- 50k or so would hardly be noticeable. I have never compared though, so I wouldn't know. I do know a true 500K can be real bright for me even with humbuckers. I end up using 250K. Maybe 330K would be cool for use with a humbucker/single strat. Anyone know where can I get some 330K audio pots?

13. Roark

Roark Member

"Can't generalize about pots really. It depends on how they are spec'd and also whether they are linear or audio/log."

Just clear to up, I went from a linear/log to an audio taper. All things equal, a 500k audio will have a larger (Faster) perceived change than a 250k audio, due a larger percentage of resistance change when moving the knob.

14. marnold

marnold Member

Just to re-ask one of my original questions, does anyone know when Dimarzio is going to release the Area 67s?

15. Niklas Nilsson

Niklas Nilsson Member

The Area 67 is available now. Contact Dimarzio.

About the pots. My opinion: 250k pots ONLY. 500k sounds like ice pick in the ear.

16. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

does this guitar have a bridge humbucker? you might then prefer a heavy blues 2 in the neck, as it will hang output-wise with the humbucker, and won't be brittle with the 500k pot like the areas probably will. if not, it's easy to add a 500k resistor across the hot and ground of a neck pickup so that the neck "sees" a 250k while the bridge humbucker gets its full 500k.

and yes, 250k audios will give a nicer, more even sweep than 500k audios.

17. marnold

marnold Member

Yes, it's an HSS. I figured if it sounded too brittle/ice-picky/term-du-jour I could do what you mentioned and add the resistor. One of the reasons I was planning on going with a Screamin' Demon at the bridge is because it's output is more PAF-like and thus would mesh better with the Areas.

18. marnold

marnold Member

Just to follow-up, I ended up getting Area '61s and they work great with the 500K pot. No resisters necessary as far as my ears are concerned.

19. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

There are no rules
    Do what ever sounds great!

HJ

20. frank4001

frank4001 Member

I had to change fro 500k to 250k to tame the brightness on my original VV's