Area 58 & Area 61 question - How's The Cluck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hardys, Feb 6, 2008.

1. hardys

hardys Member

I just put an Area 58 into my neck position and I'm pretty impressed. Before I spring for the other two positions (probably a 58 middle & 61 bridge) I'd like to know how the cluck sounds are in positions 2 and 4. I'm particularly interested with the middle/bridge combination.

So you Area owners...how's the cluck?

:munch

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

With my EJ strat, it had plenty of quack with those positions and pickups, never fear. You can get a disco groove in no time. And chime in the middle position to boot.

3. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

How did you go? 58 in the neck and middle & 61 in the bridge?

I love chimey middle pickups.

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

this is the way i did and the quack is great. if you want to hear them in action click the myspace link in my sig. i played my strat the night those clips were recorded..not too sure how much quack youll hear..but you can get an idea of the tone.

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

The quack factor is wonderful with these pickups..
    However, I found the quacks even better in the 4th position with three 58's ...

6. hardys

hardys Member

Cool. That's good news to hear. WHat tonal differences are ther with the 58 bridge by itself compared to the 61 bridge? I assume the 61 is probably a bit thicker in the mids and lows???

7. Mike T

Mike T Member

I just recently went with '58 n, '61 m, and Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues in Bridge and I seem to use th Br Mid more than the other for cluck. They are a big difference from the Bardens I had in there so some of it may be novelty, but the cluck is pretty good and may even be a little less than it would be for you because the Virt Vin Hvy Blues is significantly more powerful with less prominant highs than the 58 or 61.....

8. hardys

hardys Member

Well I don't have my Area 61 yet, but I've tried two 58s in the bridge & middle and there is some very nice cluck/quack when combining them. Not as good as some (Lollar Blondes for example), but better than others. There is a little more midrange than I like...just slightly too thick, but still very good. So far, I'm impressed with the sound of these Areas. I'm anxious to get the 61 that's in the mail. BTW...the middle position is one of the most usable I've heard for any pup, vintage or noiseless. A very unique, but nice & funky/chimey sound...great for comping on those Soul and R&B tunes.

9. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Area 58: 9T, 3.5M, 3.5B
    Area 61: 8.5T, 4M, 4B
    VV Blues: 7.5T, 5.5M, 5.5B

10. marnold

marnold Member

I've got an HSS strat that I just put two Area 61s in a week and a half ago. The quack wasn't so hot when I had them as high as Dimarzio suggests. When I backed them off a bit, the quack improved dramatically. When they say that these have a "Texas" sound I think that's a pretty apt description. Not that they're overly hot--they just have serious balls. No thin, fizzy pickups here. They may be a bit more than someone who is looking for a pure vintage tone would be looking for.

My guess is that these would be awesome in the bridge for a SSS as well (an all '61 guitar would certainly be interesting). I can't imagine there'd be any icepick. A '61 would probably also work well in an HSH setup.

11. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I have the 61-58-58 in a NOS60 strat. They are probably the best no 60 cycle hum pups out there. As with other "silent" pups out there there seems to be a litle something missing. They have a slight hollowness out there to them. They lack the meat. They are OK though and they have no noise at all to them.