Area 67,58 and 61: Are you giving up strat tone vs. say Don Mares, Lollars, Kliens ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by sweetpea, Jan 21, 2012.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

I really like the idea of a noiseless strat pickup but do not want to give up on that beautiful airy strat tone. I am trying to decide on what pups to put into my Road Worn rosewood strat. The Tex Mex pups do not sound all that bad after lowering them a bit closer to the body. But they are heavy in the mids and lack some of that glassy clean. I am shooting for a nice EJ clean tone along with some Hendrix tone. I use a Boost n Buff along with a Bonamassa fuzz into a 50 watt plexi. Any recommendations would be great. I know there is so much out there, but my budget is $150 max shipped.

Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance.

2. fumbler

fumbler Member

IMO the Areas are very good but not the equal of the best boutique single coils. But with any more than a little gain I'd be hard-pressed to hear the difference and the Areas are, of course, very quiet.

All the online retailers have the 58/67/61 set for $169 (free shipping) which is a good bit less than a set of Lollars or Mares FYI.

3. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

I've got a 67 in the middle position and I love it. I've got a '58 in the neck, and it's good, but if I could do it all over again I might get the dimarzio VV '54 pro instead, because it's a bit bassier. I like a bassier neck pickup. Both sound plenty stratty to me though, with no hum. I have a dimarzio Fast Track 1 in the bridge of that guitar, because I wanted something a bit stronger with more bass, and that sounds pretty stratty to me too - not perfect but close enough for my needs.

My friend went for a '67-'67'-'61 set in his mexi. He didin't like the '67 in the neck so much (not enough bass), and he thought that the '61 in the bridge was a bit too country sounding, but that may be what you want. He's more of a blues and rock guy. This vid is what inspired him to get that set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW3d2kB2wH0

and this one too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-oVl3nmP8Y&feature=related

4. fontenel

fontenel Member

I put a loaded Area pickguard (58/67/61) I got on CL super cheap into an 80's MIJ Strat I have and it kinda floored me. I wasn't really expecting it to sound THAT good. I've A/B'd that Strat to a handful of other Strats with 'boutique' pups and it always holds its own... And being noiseless is a plus! Definitely worth checking out...

5. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

If $150 is your budget, why are you worried how they compare against Mares/Lollars/Kleins? FWIW, I love the Area 61s and 67s and think they compare favorably to Fender pickups.

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

Burningyen,

A used set of the pickups (minus the Kliens), can be found in the $150 ballpark. I simply didn't want to miss out on the potential of buying a set of used pickups that may or may not have better tone then the Area's.

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it:p

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the virtuals and areas will get damn close, but not 100% there. (much as i like them and recommend them, it wouldn't even occur to me to put them in my own fender.)

the closest to "there" is gonna be real single coils and the suhr backplate hum-canceling system.

8. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

This is great I'd call it #1

#2 Kinmans
    #3 Areas