Argh! Dog ate my IEMs! Replacement help, please.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by hobbes1, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

The guys at Line 6 are probably super busy right now, given NAMM. It may take them a bit to reply, so I'll try to help until they are able to.

The Helix won't act as a processor for your computer, but it does function as an audio interface with built-in amp and effects. I'm not sure how low the latency goes in this situation (since I've never used it as such), but I imagine that Line 6 has made it as low as possible. Your computer's CPU and the Sample Rate of the project are also things to take into account in regards to latency, so it depends. You'll have to try it out for yourself either way.

HTH

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    hobbes1 likes this.
  2. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Bluetooth for IEM won't work, way too much latency.

And don't ping those guys for your Bluetooth question, it has nothing to do with the Helix -_-

bluesdoc and 3dognate like this.
  3. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

That review talks about the FXA7, which has a different frequency response to the FXA6. That's also the reason why I chose the FXA6 instead on the FXA7. As for quality, I haven't had any problems with these yet and Izvestia used them practically since they came out. That said, I did buy different tips for these (which also changes their tone reproduction). But that's it.

Well, most people I know (and most professional musicians) use IEM wirelessly. I mean, who wants to be tethered to a PA? :-D

4. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

Have a 90 lb half Akita half German Shepard. Just ate through the cord of a plugged in power strip. WTF! Wondered why the breaker was blown in our garage. Why isn't this dog dead? At least in wasn't my IEM's

hobbes1 likes this.
  5. Rewolf

Rewolf Member

Yeah - what I mean't was that if Bluetooth worked without latency then Musician suitable IEMs would be $99 in BestBuy and everybody would have them rather than it being $1K for a decent system.

At the price the Fenders are at the moment I will have to look closely at the FXA6 Pro when I am over US side again in a couple of weeks - they are the equivalent of $330 in the UK.

Jose7822 likes this.
  6. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

These are probably the best bet in the price range.

A stable amongst musicians.

There's better things out there but not for this price and this application.

hobbes1 likes this.
  7. Elric

Elric Member

Sell dog, buy new IEMs.

hobbes1 likes this.
  8. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

Yeah, I forgot about NAMM starting (Cardinal sin, I know). While this does not have anything to do with their product, DI and BA know everything there is to know about Helix and they (or one of the other Line 6 peeps) may have tried a Bluetooth setup to see how it worked in this application. What is interesting to me about Bluetooth is that I'm seeing more offerings with this tech than the last time I looked around for it for this application, several years ago. Wondering if the latency has been lowered with newer tech....

https://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-monitors/bluetooth

I'd give the dog away, if my wife would go for it...sadly, she won't.

9. blowery

blowery Member

I had some Etymotics (the HF5) and they were very good. They went through the wash and it just destroyed the cables. I've seen reports (on the internet, must be true) that they are very sonically similar and ~1/3 the cost...but they don't have the detachable cords which would have saved mine.

That said, they aren't the same, so the ER4S $299 series does get great reviews in this range and is their best IEM. If I had the budget for those, I would get them over anything else in that range. They just released the ER4SR (studio response) $349 for ...Studio Quality...whether thats a marketing ploy or it does sound better for monitoring, I have no idea.

Maybe your dog needs a hobby? We found this skinny scraggly mutt running the countryside...put up a found ad and the owners neighbor responded. Said owners were bad and never took care of her and that they probably dumped her. They always were keeping the dog at their place because the owners just let it go and it would get out and never fed her. Long story short, we have had her over a year...by the vets she is maybe 1.5 years now, has been a stink until....we moved to our farm the end of last year.

She now listens, doesn't chew up and gets free roam of 10acres and never runs away. Surrounded by empty fields of farmland (nearest neighbor or 1.5miles away) free to chase birds, rabbits, varmints and whatever else, she is in dog heaven.

Stella on most days...a pretty OK dog...living the good life
    [​IMG]

hobbes1 and pickdropper like this.
  10. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

yeah, she needs something, for sure. we are in a city, with a yard but ours is a postage stamp compared to 10 acres LOL
    our dog gets plenty of walk, runs with me and the kids, etc.....you just can't take your eyes off her sometimes and if you do.....various forms of trouble ensue. I keep asking why the dog can't be more like the cat. No one has a good answer for that, least of all, the dog :)

blowery likes this.
  11. markstullkc

markstullkc Member

64 Audio has a two driver model they can make in a universal fit if you call them and request it. Not on the web site.

BEWARE!!!!! Dont be tempted and try the 3 driver. You be screded and out more money. Be happy with teh 2 driver.

hobbes1 likes this.
  12. 3dognate

3dognate Member

Bluetooth is fine for general listening or remote interfaces. A little latency is a non-factor. But you are talking latency of 150ms (that's 150ms best case) or more for Bluetooth... so forget BT for real-time monitoring.

hobbes1 and yeky83 like this.
  13. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Of course they know about Bluetooth. Doesn't mean you should be calling them to be your tech support on it just because you have a Helix -_-

This has nothing to do with latency. Just google "bluetooth latency," you'll have your answer.

14. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

Thanks, Mom.
    -_-

15. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Every time I read this I keep thinking you are trying to get out of band practice.

hobbes1 likes this.
  16. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I can tell you what I DON'T like much, Westone UM20's. I've been using a set for a few years now, but they have more mids than I would like, and aren't crisp. I didn't know how "not great" they sounded until I tried 2 different (more expensive, more drivers) models from 64 Audio.

Disclaimer: my band has an endorsement deal with 64 Audio

hobbes1 likes this.
  17. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

Hilarious!
    But no, I was furious to find the dog eating them. They were up well off the floor in a hard case. Can't figure how she stretched out to reach them. Of note, hard case has not been found, yet. Surely she didn't eat it??!!

bdrepko likes this.
  18. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

This will sound crazy, but I got a set of custom molds from a Chinese company called Hisenior on AliExpress. They use Knowles and Sonion drivers, just like everyone else, and I got quads (low, midx2, hi) for under $400 with an upgraded cable. Of course, I paid $50 locally for my molds and it cost a fair amount to ship the molds to China, but the whole process was only about a month and I've got a really stellar set of IEMs. Triple driver units are under $300, I believe, and they do universal, but I can't recommend the customs enough.

hobbes1 likes this.
  19. Stokely

Stokely Member

I lucked out and a good place that does free impressions is right here in town...and there was a sale not long ago! inearz here in central fl. So far so good. Triple drivers for $299.

Boy was it hard getting used to putting these in compared to my old Shure 215s :D "That whole thing fits somehow into my ear?!"

hobbes1 likes this.
  20. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

It's not crazy. There's so absolutely amazing deals to be had from China. My daily drivers are LZ A4s and they significantly outperform US/Europe IEMs in the same price range.

It just takes a bit of educating yourself and reading reviews.

But many folks have the cash to spare and don't trust random Chinese things.

I'm glad I'm not one of those people though.

[​IMG]

hobbes1 likes this.