Argh! Dog ate my IEMs! Replacement help, please.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by hobbes1, Jan 24, 2018.

1. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

That's no excuse!

2. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Nice. Those look good. I've learned that generally speaking, items manufactured in China by the thousands in a factory tend to be crap. Item manufactured in China by a small company can be excellent.

Mine:
    [​IMG]

TimeSnow likes this.
  3. flyingheelhook

flyingheelhook Member

The first thing I thought of when I read this is: He must have a lot of ear wax. Dogs love ear wax.

4. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

I decided to take a chance on the Fender FXA6 Pro IEM's. That price is too attractive and I saw some good reviews online plus the rec's here. Will report back when I get them and have a chance to put them through their paces.
    Thanks all for the tips!

@flyingheelhook : Ha! I keep things pretty clean....I'm not a fan of chunks of ear wax (blech!). The dog is just being a dog (puppy).....she will chew on any damn thing.

I found that the old ear buds that got eaten were still for sale on Amazon (I thought they were out of production/unavailable). They were UE Super Fi 5's and they are now $400! Yikes! I don't remember paying that much before so now, I'll be happy if I get a good pair at $149 (Fender/Aurosonics).

flyingheelhook likes this.
  5. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

Let us know what you think of the FXA6. I'm very interested in your opinion about how they compare to other IEM you've used.

hobbes1 and LordByron like this.
  6. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Those are gorgeous

Flying Panda and hobbes1 like this.
  7. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Just picked up a pair of the FXA6 myself. They sound great, but not crazy about the supplied tips. Looked at the Comply tips, but not sure if I should be ordering 200 or 400. Comply has 400 for the FXA5, but folks online have been using the 200 series.

Any other good tips out there that will fit the FXA6? I tried the triple flange sleeves by whacking off part of the shaft...fit ok but kinda attenuate the highs.

8. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Member

True.

But wireless IEM sets from the majors are all analog, like the Sennheiser G3’s we use on my main gig. I’m pretty sure that latency is the reason that Line 6 hasn’t jumped into the fray with a digital wireless IEM system.

9. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

I've used the Comply 200. They were very comfortable and made the FXA6 sound good live (though it did make commercial records sound Bass heavy). The problem with them is that they wear out and are a bit expensive. YMMV.

I wanna try the VICTOR JVC Spiral Dots next. Saw some good reviews on those.

RGB likes this.
  10. 3dognate

3dognate Member

Shure PSM300 and MiPro Mi909 are digital. They both work great... latency is not a concern with those... i gig with the Mi909 and they perform flawlessly.

steve_rolfeca likes this.
  11. MLaVache

MLaVache Member

I DIY'd my own custom-molded IEMs using a Radians earplug kit ($10). There's plenty of videos online showing how to do it. I liked it so much I did it to my "everyday" earbuds too.

12. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Member

Cool!

It’s been a while since I went shopping for radios. Good to know that there’s a digital alternative- the Sennheisers have been very reliable (and spare parts like replacement clips are easy to get), but we do get some really weird interference problems with them sometimes.

Meanwhile, my Shure digital instrument wireless has given flawless audio under the same conditions.

13. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Member

On a related note, these are not going to be the best available, but the KZ Z5s and Z6s use a mixture of armature and dynamic drivers (four in each earpiece, IRRC).

I haven’t compared them to high-end universals or custom molds, but they were a distinct step up from my Shure SE425’s. The price?

...wait for it...

Under $50 with the optional improved cables, and a good supply of the red foamies. Available from Amazon, and from Chinese wholesalers like Banggood, etc.

I’ve been burned in the past by cheap earbuds that supposedly competed with name-brand IEM’s, but these really do.

The only downside I’ve found, is the rather large output port (even bigger than the drainpipe on the Shure SE215’s). This means that people with unusually small ear canals need not apply.

14. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I wonder why the FXA5 uses the 400 series (according the the fit chart at Comply's site), but the FXA6 uses the 200...maybe they both work? Will check out the Victor offerings too. thanks!

15. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

I couldn't tell you for certain since I've never tried the 400's. But the 200's fit perfectly.

BTW, the Victor tips will take a while to get to you (a month or more). I know because, to be completely honest, I ordered a couple of sets over a year ago and I don't know where I put them, lol. I know, embarrassing :oops:. I will try to search for them one last time, or else I'm gonna have to order another set cause now I'm curious again about which tip is better. Sigh...

RGB likes this.
  16. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Are you positive you dont want customs? Always had problems with fit and comfort on my Shure in ears. Customs are much easier to keep in for extended periods of time

17. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

One thing I can say about the Fender FXA6 is that they never pop out. I adjust them once, when I put them in my ear, and that's it! That said, custom ears will give you better isolation. No argument there.

18. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I have a little trouble with the right ear on my FXA6. The seal on the stock tips can break loose on a good guitar face. :p

19. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

I bought the Fender FXA6 monitors. I pretty much immediately disliked them.
    They seem, to me, to be very mid-heavy and congested in that middle range. Maybe I have a defective pair? I'm looking at sending them back as these just don't sound good.
    The fit is good and they stay in place with a good seal, which I always can appreciate. Sound wise though.....vastly inferior to the SuperFi's I used to have and Helix patches that sound good to me (at volume) on my Line 6 L3T and my Equator D5's sound pretty bad on the Fenders. I was not expecting perfect translation but I was hoping for a closer sound. (Yes, I know IEM's and PA speakers and near field monitors are all different with different specs, sounds etc. I'm not expecting aural miracles just IEMs that sound natural and not hyped).

Back to the drawing board for a more neutral IEM in the <$400 range...

Thanks to everyone that has chimed in and given me ideas.

20. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

No, you don't have a defective pair. They are midrange heavy with the stock tips. I know the last thing you want right now is to spend more money, but the FXA6 sound more balanced with the Comply tips discussed above. Granted, you may still not like them. But it might be worth a shot.

Up to you, of course :).