1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Argh! (Eternity content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mild, Sep 25, 2006.

1. mild

mild Member

I really didn't want to have to do one of these threads...

I figure the hype machine around the Eternity is already big enough. I wanted to get one, then I needed to get one, and now I got one. It arrived yesterday.

Consider this post an addition to the pile:
    This pedal is it. It is the business. It is great, and it lives up to every bit of the hype.

Great O/D. Thankyou Sean!

(And, for all that's been said about him here recently, Sean was an utter gentleman to deal with over the few months we were in contact, answered all my questions, went the extra mile, and made my life very easy - I found his customer service level to be fantastic.)

/happy rant over. :angel

2. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

My resistance to buying such an expensive pedal has been slowly eroding over the last few years, and I'm afraid I may be ordering one in the not-too-distant future.

I don't mind you adding to the hype, but... what would really help me is finding out what special qualities the Eternity has (e.g., tone, feel, dynamics, etc.) that make you think it is such a great OD pedal.

3. mild

mild Member

Fair enough! Tell you what – it IS still the honeymoon phase, so I’m going to disclaimer this as not being a be-all, end-all impression at all… what I can say though, is that after a few hours of fooling with it, is that its probably the first time that I have turned up the gain, and still heard my guitar and amp’s signature sound coming through (telecaster/Vox AC30) whilst chording. I was very impressed with that. The dynamics of the pedal are great, and some really usable tones can be found all over the knobs, at different settings. My hotcake is great for low OD boost, but tends to “fart” when it gets in the high gain area. The Eternity doesn’t, it keeps the sound really nice and usable right up to full gain (which is a lot of fun, by the way…).

I feel there are others who could comment, and do this pedal more justice than I am right now. I just wanted to say that, after my initial experience with it – I am feeling very justified in my big spend. :cool:

4. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Jono, that's great you like dit right away! At first I was just like, yeah another OD, no biggie, Then playe dit and messed with it a few times, then I finally opened my ears and it hit me! That was close to a year ago and the E is my numero uno and nothing has knocked it off, so I quit looking for a ped to take its place. That whole week when I first got the E made me approach all pedals differently and I gotta thank a great member here for turning me onto them, and a big yeeefrigginhaaa to Sean at Lovepedal for always putting up with my emails and answering my whimsical questions!
    Can't wiat for a Purple Plexi though! Damn, I feel another whimsical email in the makings!

5. cheesey

cheesey Member

6. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, that echoes my experience w/the E. In spite of the simple control layout, it took some time & tweaking to appreciate just how good the design really is. It's rare that an OD works so well in a lo-gain situation w/a small practice amp, and even better w/the band - really cuts thru' the mix!

Being able to optimize the E to suit your own needs (and the fact that Sean includes the alternate op-amp to do so) was a big + for me. I've since swapped around chips in other pedals, but never w/the dramatic results I got when I replaced the 'hot' chip w/the 'fat' (or was it the other way around:confused:?:D!)..

7. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I'd like to know whats so special about it? Its an overdrive pedal for christ sake.... A few weeks ago I got a Tim and even after tweaking it I find nothing unusually spectacular about it. Yeah it sounds good but so do a lot of other pedals.

8. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Its sounds real good but it feels, even better. For me the thing this pedal has that is unique is feel and dynamics.

9. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

ditto! don't leave home w/o the "E"!!

10. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

You won't know until you actually try one ( & really take it for a proper test run!). I know there's a lot of hype involved but for me it lives up to it. It also depends on your rig of course but with my hot-rodded strat into my JCM800, it's a bad mother!

11. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

It just is, I guess! The Timmy did nothing at all for me either. It sounded good, but nothing special at all to my ears. I tried it and tried for a few months.
    Also as Drolling stated, it kills live! Really cuts through fo sho!

12. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

I'm not convinced...yet.

I just can't justify spending that sort of money on a dirt box. Same goes for the highly-praised Klon. Sometimes you just have to draw the line as to how much money you can throw into these things. Truth of the matter is that there are other pedals out there that can get you near enough.

Tim

13. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I'll give ya the compare and contrast for myself of the Timmy and E.
    They're different beasts.

The E is uniquely different in feel - the Timmy is an adaptable creature, allowing for many eqing and crunching timbres in a setup where a transparent and clean (not-TS) OD would do the job. The Eternity is not TS either, it is its own man, or it's own god, or whatever - its like nothing else I've ever played in its refined and just-right 3-d sheen when performing....I can dial it up anywhere and know I'll be ok somehow with the performance, inspired even - even if it's a bit "too loud" when kicked on, rolling back the volume a little it still sounds good! I like to have a little treble kick/boost available on top of it too - and it melds well with that. The Timmy had to be adjusted 'just right' with my Vibrolux, I think it might prefer an amp that wasn't as cleanly set as mine was - I want to try it again with a lower-watt EL84. The Eternity seems as happy with a clean amp as with one dialed in the edge.

14. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I want to try one (really badly), but like a couple of others have stated, feel the $$ is too high for me. I don't know where I 'draw the line' at as to how much is too much, but $329 is on the other side of it.

15. drolling

drolling Member

HAH!! There are certain pedals discussed here that inevitably draw comparisons to certain other pedals, and so far we/ve got two of them, and the thread's only one page long..

I'm not up to the task of explaining what's "so special" about it, having already wasted too much bandwidth defending Strobostomp to the tone-deaf:messedup..

The night is young. Knock yourselves out, guys:crazy!!

16. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

To me, it has a very amp-like feel to it, and the notes really bloom like they did on my old Boogies. I usually play it with the tone knob all the way to the left and run it through my Route 66 - the tone reminds me very much of my Mark IIC+'s. Honestly, I didn't want to buy into the hype, either, but IMHO this pedal is just the shiznitz.

17. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

$329 is a bargain for one :D More expensive that it used to be but man...it's a top notch pedal.

18. flash1

flash1 Member

Hey Stress,
    Can you compare your CJOD and the E. How do they sound stacked? I have a CJOD, but this E talk has me wondering.

19. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

After trying lots of OD's and spending lots of $, I have come to the conclusion that the Eternity is the best OD for my rig and my needs. It has such a beautiful character-smooth, but still has a lovely grit in the upper mids, great feel, very satisfying to play through it. I bought/sold 2 (1 new, 1 used) and ended up buying a new one at the new price because I realized that it was the one for me, a decision based on personal experience and not hype. Sean did a little bit of tweaking to my new one to make it a bit more "open" sounding, and the gain knob ramps up a bit slower-nice. And it got even better once I took GigPig's advice and put a buffer right after it-thanks again, GP!
    I just got a LO the other day and I like that one too, but I think I could probably do just fine with my Eternity and guitar volume knob...;)

20. Nathan

Nathan Member

I'd far sooner pay $329 for an amp.
    The pedal race has gotten completely insane for tones you can get by cranking your amp. Of course this is not the place to say such a thing and I shouldn't go there, but I'm feeling grumpy today for unrelated reasons... :Spank I learned the hard way which is the only way.