1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Aria Pro II Les Paul Custom Copy Good Deal?????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by silvertone1481, May 22, 2011.

1. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

I came across an Aria Pro II Les Paul Custom copy today....played pretty well. Set neck, original. No pickguard, Bound neck. Gold hardware. They want $500 for it, its at a pretty cool guitar place that's got a good reputation locally. Should I start selling crap real quick to get this or should I do what I was planning on before I saw this (selling crap/working odd jobs to save up for a vintage Flying V)....?

And if anybody has one of these.....
    :worthless

2. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Check out early Blur recordings - their first and second LPs were tracked mostly with one of these, and you can see it in the "Popscene" video and a lot of live footage.

I've played a lot of Aria Pro II axes, and I like 'em. Very well-made (I'm talking 80s-mid-90s here).

3. mikee1

mikee1 Member

That one is totally up to you. It really depends on how much you like the'v? I do have one of the aria's and love it. It plays great and haas wonderful tone. Although before I switched the pickups it sounded great, don't get me wrong, but I can't leave well enough alone and had to change it up. I put some p rails in it and wow, is that guitar versitile. Installed a mini toggle in one of the tone knob spots and just use a master tone. All reversible, it was to good of a guitar to cut up! My advise is if you like it, go for it man. It must be somewhat special if its got you thinking about changing your mind. Have you thought about trying something like a lay away? Some shops do it. That way you wouldn't have to sell off everything you have to guarantee you get it. You can always get it sooner if you are able.

Good luck!!!!!

4. cvaldeski

cvaldeski Member

If I'm not mistaken these were made in Japan by Matsumoko. He made Epiphones for Gibson for a while as well as Electra, Westone etc. Pretty good quality instruments for the price on em I think.

5. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

The better ones IMO are the ones that have Pro II in vertical type down the headstock. If you do some online research, you can probably find a 70's ad showing George McCorkle using one. $500 seems kind of high to me, however.

6. edi_87

edi_87 Member

I got experience with 2 Matsumoko instruments
    1) 335 Aria Pro II - one of my main guitars, great sounding, stays in tune very well, bought it for 600$ and think it's a bargain for such an instrument!
    2) Greco Les Paul - great sounding, very resonant wood, had some issues with tuners, replaced it with Grovers and it plays like a dream. Spent app. 600$ on it - definately worth it..

7. odd

odd Member

I have a 1980 LC-700. Really great guitar, albeit weighs a ton. If yours is Matsumoku-made too, plays and sounds well and isn't too heavy, I'd go for it.

8. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Depending on the shape. IF set neck, in great shape, that is a fine price. I have an Aria Pro II 335 copy from the early 80's that blows away any Gibson I have ever laid hands on. Make sure it is MIJ as they are superior to the Korea built ones.

9. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

ok sure....ill check if they do layaway. Ill try and post pics later. Maybe in a few days. Anybody think I should trade a beat up Epiphone SG with REALLY nice case for this thing?

Last edited: May 23, 2011