Arian Foster Owning Stephen A. Smith

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Bankston, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Bankston

Bankston Member

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

3. Route234

Route234 Member

I think Lynch is making himself look like a clown, but I also cant see fining the guy. Hes making life harder on himself for whatever the reason, but fining him and dragging this on is only giving him what he wants. His life would be easier if he just answered questions for 10 minutes and then went on with his life but hes a guy who cant seem to grasp the obvious. Ill never understand the guy but I wouldnt fine him and I dont care personally whether he speaks or not as I hate just HATE the 2 weeks between the Championship game and the SB. It is year in and year out the worst of the worst with the media.

4. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Member

Smith is an idiot. I don't know he is still employed at ESPN.

5. Roark

Roark Member

Agree with Foster, how many times have you read a sports writer's column and discover they did no research about what they were writing about? Or twisted the player's words to their agenda.

Also I'm of the opinion the players shouldn't have to speak to the press if they don't want to. It should be removed from the contracts, or at least the player's agent should be able to create an escape clause for it.

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Stephen A. Smith should be fined $20,000 a day for every day that he talks.

But the only thing he and Arian had a real disagreement about was the idea that Lynch should be fined, and of course he shouldn't, he carefully followed the letter of the rules. Stephen A. Smith is, er, subject to hyperbole much of the time.

Maybe he didn't exactly "own" Smith, but Foster came across very well in the exchange.

I feel a little bad for Marshawn because I think he's painted himself into a corner by taking such an extreme public stance. He's got no where to go now.

He's supposed to be on Conan tonight in a taped bit where Conan, Gronk and he are playing a video game. They showed a bit of it last night and Lynch seemed very personable and relaxed.

7. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I can't stand Stephen A. Smith. Great on Arian Foster to hold an intelligent argument against Stephen A. Smith.

8. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

So long as someone is fulfilling their contractual obligations you can't really fault them no matter how immature they come across. That's on them anyway. I just wish Lynch was more creative with his troll responses. He could have accomplished the same thing and made it far more entertaining if he varied his non informative replies, instead of coming across like a child stamping his feet. The whole thing reminded me of old Bob Dylan press conferences which he approached with a similar attitude to Lynch except was charming, satirical and funny.

9. teledude55

teledude55 Member

I can't stand Stephen A Smith. I used to have to listen to that fool on the radio at work...guy talks out of his ass. I think Smith is just trying to justify and elevate his status as a "Media Person." Like the NFL wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't for idiots like him interviewing players. lol. Check the ratings for the post game interviews over the actual game and see how many people give a shite about that.

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I doubt if we'd see even the strongest player's union making this an issue to take a big stand on. The bottom line is that the league and the players make more money because of the willing participation of the media in their private business, and they know it. Why kill the goose that laid the golden egg?

They don't have to let the media in at all. They choose to, because how many other business have the good fortune to have whole newspaper sections or TV news segments devoted to keeping the public up on and interested in their product? They'd survive without the coverage, but they thrive with it. The media outlets benefit too of course, many people wouldn't buy a paper or watch the news if there wasn't a sports section. It's a symbiotic relationship as old as professional sports. But it isn't too much for the media in return for their participation to expect a certain level of access. Allowing players to opt out at their whim would not be in sports leagues' interest.

11. Neer

Neer Member

I'm all for Lynch doing what he is doing. The NFL's hypocrisy is unbearable for me to the point that I don't even really care about the sport anymore.

Where was Roger the Dodger when the media was looking for some explanations in the Rice case? Deflategate? That's right, lawyering up.

BTW, have you heard about the development plans for Canton?

12. mbargav

mbargav Member

Good for him. But seriously, schooling Smith or Bayless must be two of the lowest bars to clear in the history of debate.

13. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Funny how the fans whose interest Stephen Smith is "defending" applaud every time Arian Foster opens his mouth. Evidently they're more interested in what happens on the field than a bunch of semi-comprehensible, canned utterances from athletes.

I HATE athlete interviews. My favorite current 49ers are Frank Gore and Patrick Willis, and I can't remember a single interview with either of them. With a few notable exceptions like Foster and Sherman, these interviews tend to be either sullen and monosyllabic, or "just happy to be here" pablum designed to give no media fodder. When athlete interviews come on sports talk radio, I change the station.

Therefore I have no issue with Marshawn Lynch, and am glad he brought another stupid NFL policy to light. Get rid of it and let the quiet guys be quiet. The Shermans of the world will run their mouth regardless. Most importantly, shut up and play football.

14. Bankston

Bankston Member

I think the best point Arian makes is that if an athlete gives cliche'd responses, he's criticized. If he gives honest answers and speaks his mind, he's criticized. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't dilemma and I can't say I blame any athlete for getting sick of it and saying, "no thanks."

15. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

all their answers are cliches

16. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Legume Duprix is far more eloquent

17. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

Stephen A. Smith is right!

18. Route234

Route234 Member

To me its simple, Lynch is an employee who has a contract that requires him to speak to the media at certain times. He works under this contract and certainly cashes his paychecks under the same contract. The leagues Leadership is under no such contract, just like most of us at work. We have a deal that we have to adhere to and the people up at the top have a different deal. Its not unfair or hypocritical at all. It is what it is.

Lynch just cant seem to grasp the simple concept that he has brought literally all of this upon himself by his own hand. There isnt even a debate about that. He just wants to do what he wants to do even though he clearly signed a contract stating what he was obligated to do.

Im not a Stephen Smith fan at all I just hate how people try to pretend that a person doesnt have any obligations just because they dont agree with the obligations and that is just plain silly. Everyday we do things we are obligated to do by a contract or an employer and then we try to pretend it should be different for Lynch when he is simply a contracted employee like most of us. I have to do things my bosses dont have to do and they do things I dont have to do and no one is whining about it. I just think Lynch is stupid to make himself out to be such a clown. Instead of making his point he just looks like a buffoon. Then he blames the media for being the media and tries to pretend that he didnt bring all of this upon himself. This wouldnt even be an issue if he spent 5 minutes giving Bill Belichick type answers but something tells me he isnt bright enough to do that.

19. HRM

HRM Member

Man, I've only ever heard Frank speak once - and immediately I thought "Whoa. Never put a mic in this dude's face again."

20. Neer

Neer Member

The story is way more complex than just "he's an employee he has to follow his oligations". There are many palyers with grievances against the league. I'm not going to take the side of the NFL, they are all about the money and nothing else.

Besides, these players are not you and me. They are superstars. Without them, there is no NFL.