Arion Chorus Substitute?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by James Knox, Oct 27, 2005.

1. James Knox

James Knox Supporting Member

Landau fan here!

I bought one of those MF blowout Arion Chorus's for $30 and it sounds like Landau's worble alright BUT it distorts in a "digital clipping" sort of way when you push it hard.

Certainly SOMEBODY makes a Chorus that sounds like the throb of the Orion but with quality components. The thing I like about the Arion is that it is more VIBE than CHORUS sounding.

I have a MojoVibe that I like for the slow Trower stuff, but want an Arion-style for the "happy warble" clean sound.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

2. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Silver Supporting Member

Suggestions ??

HHmmm.. I'd START w/ getting the name right..It's Arion NOT Orion

3. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

I have an older Japanese-made version of the Arion SCH-1 and haven´t experienced any distortion. You might want to check out one of those if you can find one.
    Other than that I don´t know about a good aternative for the Arion Chorus. It is quite special in what it does.

4. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Your unit has a problem or your rig has a problem. I own 3 of these (including an old Japanese version) and none of them do what you are describing. I have pushed them very hard at times. Landau has as well....I'd return that unit for another. Nothing else does what that piece does.

5. stratofied

stratofied Member

I have an older MIJ version. Haven't noticed anything like your describing. Is yours the SCH-1? If so $30 is way cheep for that piece. May have been a reason for that.

6. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Silver Supporting Member

you probably HAVE the cheaper SCH-Z ( not the MIJ one )..If you are a Landau freak you may be turning the tone knob slightly counterclockwise - as Mike does - to darken it up a little. On the MIJ SCH-1, it cuts highs only. ON the nwere cheaper SCH-z, it only boosts bass ( that may be creating some distortion as well )

I would LOVE to get rid of my "Orion" because of tone suckage but I still havent found anything that replicates what it does ( obviosly neither has Mike ):D

7. James Knox

James Knox Supporting Member

8. Oddos

Oddos Member

Yeah. I have both. The Sch-z distorts, the Sch-1 doesn`t. It`s not the same pedal.

9. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

AND....I have a SCH1 for sale.....posted at HC....srry:)

Bob

10. landru64

landru64 Gold Supporting Member

the sch1 (dunno about the schz) has a gain boost when you engage it. that may be pushing something else in your chain.

i took my sch1 off my board after getting a retrosonic chorus. they don't sound exactly the same, but creatively speaking, they are the same, especially the vibe/leslie sounds. the retro doesn't suck tone either. so it was a no brainer.

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I get a good vibe sound from my Deluxe Moon Phaser. I had the Arion pedal years back. Cheap pedal, but with really cool sounds.

I get a chorus or double tracked sound from my HR-2 set to "detune" the notes... also chorus on the Deluxe Memory Man.