arion chorus'?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stevebandworks, Feb 25, 2008.

1. stevebandworks

stevebandworks Member

I have seen these on a number of pro rigs. Always associated arion with cheap stuff - but these are good? Any particular time period or only one's made in a particular country, or...?

Also if anyone can describe the attraction of this particular chorus...

thanks for the help...

2. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I've been very fortunate to get one recently in mint condition!

It's crazy almost like travelling back in time. I bought a black MIJ SCH-1 Arion Stereo Chorus from a local pedal collector here in Singapore liquidating his collection as he was relocating overseas.

The tones are really great, absolutely no harshness, it can go from subtle to really thick. To nice smooth chorus to even aggressive pitch shifted leslie tones.

Stack it with some distortion and you can get the Scott Henderson Live Album tone! Tone only...not playing:D

If you're able to find a SCH1 grab it, I believe there is a grey version supposedly more desirabe than the black one.

However if you look at the board of Henderson, Landua and Allen Hinds, they have all switched over to the Xotic tweaked version of the SCH-Z that features true bypass shifting.

3. landru64

landru64 Member

personally i think the retro-sonic chorus does everything the arion does and does it better, with true bypass, great build quality, the ability to switch between two arion-type sounds, etc. the arion also adds a significant (and to some annoying) gain boost that can really mess with your gain structure. some of the rehouses out there might address this, but i'm not sure.

just my two cents.

4. stevebandworks

stevebandworks Member

Thanks for the input, both of youse - so the sch-z is less desirable generally? I've seen ones made in Japan or Sri Lanka, maybe I need to buy them and sort it out.

Retro sonic looks interesting - though the price is right on the arion......

5. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I got one for $15 from MF a while ago...but heard they discontinued. Japanese versions are analog as understand but I love mine. If your anal...wait for a vintage one...otherwise go for a cheapy new one. check out GregV's clip...Bend the Dusty Road....and you'll be sold. This is what the Arion does best.

6. landru64

landru64 Member

yeah the sch-z is just plain not desirable. the sch-1's have two versions: the grey bottom ones and the black bottom ones. meaning the plastic around the base of the unit is gray or black. i have compared 6 of them, some black, some gray side by side and there was enough variation-- and enough goodness-- in all of them that i wouldn't necessarily get too obsessed about finding a gray bottom one.

7. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Wooooo...rum is hell on the vocabulary....sorry.

8. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

sch-z.....I humbly disagree. For the price...try one.

9. stevebandworks

stevebandworks Member

Thanks for all this - and the GregV clip was great - I was playing all day with my rotosphere, wishing it wasn't so big, good news about this pedal!

10. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Ha! Go for it. You'll be happy!
    t

11. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

the only thing that bugs me about the schz is the volume boost when engaged. I guess it's better than a volume drop.

12. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's the truth! I had a Schz and thought it rivaled my AM clone for leslie sounds!

13. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

schz is damn good and for the money can't be beat

14. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I agree, the SCH-1 is my fav...grey or blk. And the Retro-Sonic would be my second choice.

Greg

15. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

I bought an SCH-Z when someone online was blowing them out for $15... definitely a bang for the buck, but a little noisy and gritty for me. Maybe it was just this one, but there was definitely some slight clipping on the chorus.

16. cg

cg Member

i have the sch-z and can't stand it. maybe I'm just not a chorus guy. sounds very cold and synthetic to me. it also introduces a noticeable volume bump when engaged. i hate that pedal. :)

17. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

SCH-Z is different from the SCH-1. Sure, there are folks that say they are the same, but I've had little more than a dozen of these pass my shop and SCH-Z just doesn't sound the same when doing an A/B test against the SCH-1.

18. plain-boy

plain-boy Member

I had both at the same time (SH1 vs SHZ). And, the SHZ won in my opinion.

19. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

im the other way round, i still own both.

but when i a/b'd them i found the sch-1 was a bit more natural and smoother, but i think they both still sound great, lush rich chorus pedals.

20. erksin

erksin Member