Arion Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sgguitarzz, Jul 27, 2006.

1. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

May be looking for some cheap pedals and was wondering if any of the Arion pedals are worth a look at. In particular possibly the chorus pedal, delay and maybe overdrive.

2. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

The chorus, is not "too bad". I'm still trying to get mine dialed in with my setup. Its a cool effect, but I'm afraid that it takes me a bit long to dial in.

3. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

The prices have shot up, but you can still find an SAD-1 Analog Delay fairly cheap (don't get the SAD-3). +1 to the SCH-Z Chorus - cheap and does the leslie thing quite well (although not quite as well as the SCH-1). If you are looking for cheap pedals, don't overlook Danelectro or Behringer...

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

+1 on the dano's
    +1 on the SCH-Z for the leslie sound

on ebay you can always take the time to bid for some pedals up to your budget, I bought an Ibanez DE-7 for the analog delay sim and to have the option for digital delay while playing live, and expected to pay no more than $30 for a used one from great to excellent condition, it was the third or fourth time I biddded that I won. Including shipping.

5. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Okay you guys that are using the SCH-Z for leslie sounds, what are your settings?

6. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

Well, what works pretty well for me (o'clocks): rate: 9:30-10:00; depth: 5:00; and tone: 1:00-ish (can vary a little). That said, my set-up is usually semi-hollow humbuckers (Gibsopn 336) through vintage Fender (Bandmaster or Bassman) and a long signal chain. Experimentation is the key, but try this one and be patient with your ears - it may not work with your set-up, but it isn't a bad place to start. cheers!

7. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I have a Dod FX90 analog delay I just picked up for $39. Well, I just got it in today so I havent got to play it yet. I've heard they are good for the price though. I'll let you know once I've played it.

-Brenton

8. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

The SCH1 is my go to Leslie sim. Its fairly cheep and sounds FAR better than anything near its price range. Its a very cool pedal.

Bob

9. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

The SAD-1 Analog Delay is a great sleeper. Warm, analog, totally killer for slapback & whatnot. About 250ms, so kinda short. I run one in a TB Loooper (set for slap) and also run a Roland SDE-2500 in the amp's loop for longer, more ambient delays w/modulation somtimes. For the $$ - it's one of the best delays going - I got mine for $35.00 brand new (4 years ago) & it's still rockin'. The housing is cheap plastic & the knobs will easily break off - so be sure to run it in a loop box - I do now after busting off 2 knobs (the shafts are still working & intact). Hope this helps.

10. loofery

loofery Member

The Arion SFL-1 Flanger is the biggest sleeper pedal I own.
    It is incredibly organic. They do flange very well but also pull off a good phase.
    They are discontinued and MIJ but can still be found under $40 quite often. Get one!

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

for the leslie I go rate 12 o'clock, depth 5 o'clock and tone between 11 and 2 o'clock, this settings are not fixed, so they can change.
    oh, and I run it before a drive pedal, right now is a SD-1 with a low gain setting, nice

12. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

These pedals seem to have all gone up in price.

13. erksin

erksin Member

They don't make 'em anymore, and they're still MUCH cheaper than their contemporaries (SAD-1 vs. DM-2 for example)...

FWIW - the cases are made of high impact ABS plastic (the same stuff as the sewer pipe in your house). Pretty tough stuff. The knobs, well at least they're replaceable...

14. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

Ya, all the 80's Arion pedals I have heard are incredible. Delay, flange, phaser, and chorus.

As far as the new ones, I really liked the overdrive (MTE-1?), but the delay (SAD-3), didn't sound at all like the 80's SAD-1, IMHO.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

My SHC-Z cost me just $20, brand new from M'sFriend, they offer it on sale from time to time, the new ones that is.

16. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

I think it's a chip issue/ bottom-line economics; the MN3208 chip in the SAD-3 has about 1/2 of the delay time of the MN3205, which I think (haven't seen it) is used in the SAD-1. The SAD-3 has alot of noise too (clock, decay...) which I think is attributable to this issue...

17. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Wow, this jogged the memories of yesteryear and nearly brought a tear to my eye.

remember the Metal Master??