Arion SCH-1 and SCH-Z users...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mbutler, Feb 9, 2006.

1. mbutler

mbutler Member

I am trying to figure out the differences in these 2 pedals. Everyone raves about the SCH-1 so I thought I would try to come up with a Mod to bring the Z to 1 specs. I have a Z, which dispite what everyone says is a good pedal, but I can't seem to find a SCH-1 that is reasonably priced to compare it to. Or a Schematic for either to determine the differences. Can anyone out there help? Do you have an SCH-1 that you would be willing to open up and check out? Maybe take some hi-res pics of the guts? Or maybe a broken SCH-1 you would donate to the project? These 2 pedals can't be that far off. Thanks

2. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I scored a sch-1 from the store I used to work at, no one new or cared for what it was.

anyways, i think the only significant difference would be the tone control. i may be wrong. my understanding is that the z is a treble boost on the clockwise side and a bass boost on the counter-clockwise side. the 1's tone is just a treble boost or cut. it seems most people who go for the fast warble tend to cut a little treble to get away from the chorusier sound to more leslie warble. the Z won't do that. that's the only quantitative difference I know of. if I ever get a chance to snap a photo (I rarely have my gear at home) I'll try to send photos of the innards.

i get the feeling that besides the tone control, there's a little hype about the 1.

joe

3. mbutler

mbutler Member

I think there is definitely more than a little hype around the 1. To tell you the truth, if you're using it for a leslie/vibe effect (like me), I kind of like the added bass boost the Z gives me. It's like dialing in more "rotor". Thanks for your input.

4. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

Yep...I've had 'em both...both are great, very similar. Tone control is the only real difference that I found.

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

Sort of a tangent... is the Arion phaser as relatively good as their choruses?

6. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

Then is it a kind of myth all the ebayers warnings about the quality of the 1's chorus over the Z?.
    I always read that they put emphasis about huge differences in better lush, deph....whatever :confused:

7. dosmun

dosmun Member

8. mbutler

mbutler Member

Thanks for the link, dosmun. I checked it out and it looks like they changed the layout of the curcuit board quite a bit. That doesn't necessarily mean that the circuit itself is all that different, just they way it was put together. It just makes it more difficult to see the differences in the two pedals. I'm kind of beginning to think that the work it would take to find out isn't really worth it. Maybe that's why there aren't any mods for it out there. I bought my SCH-Z brand new for $19 and it does exactly what I need it to do. I can change all I want in it, and it's still a $19 pedal. I could potentially buy a new housing, jacks, switch, and pots for it, and spend countless hours tweaking it and it would still be an Arion Stereo Chorus. I think I'll spend that time playing my guitar. :)

9. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

The only people I've ever heard contend that there was a tremendous difference between the two were either people who were trying to sell it or had just paid a bunch of money for one. Either way they had a vested interest in touting the SCH-1 as being superior. I owned them at different times, so I never did a direct comparison, but I bought the SCH-Z first and really liked it, so I bought the SCH-1. Didn't find the sound to be noticably different. If you put them side by side with nothing else going on, there may be some subtle differences, but in the context of a full band or a full mix I can't imagine that they would be distinguishable. This is just my opinion, and I know I don't have the best ears in the world.

10. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

So, selling interests could explain all. Important things to know about, because I never heard any of them
    Thank you usefull facts and enough for me :AOK

11. mbutler

mbutler Member

I think there is a lot of that going on. There is way too much hype around stuff (especially in the pedal community) and all it seems to do is drive the prices up. If every pedal ever made was housed in a black box with no markings on it, and the only way to tell the difference was to plug them in and listen to them, we'd all be very surprised by what we ended up with.

12. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I owned 5 different Arion choruses and had 4 at the same time. I owned a grey-box SCH1, 2 black-box SCH1s (one made in Japan, the other in Korea or Taiwan, don´t remember), the SCH-Z and the Arion Fat chorus. I kept one and that´s the MIJ black-box SCH-1 because it sounded better than the others.

The SCH-Z I owned really sounded different than the SCH1s, it wasn´t as deep sounding nor as lush as any of the 3 SCH1s. I should add that I was using them for chorus and not for the faux-leslie sound.

I just had a look on Ebay and saw what they are fetching these days :NUTS I paid most for the Fat Chorus and that was 40euros and there are still deals to be done but not on Ebay-US!!

13. straightblues

straightblues Member

I just got the SCH-Z from Muscians Friend for $19. This things gets a GREAT Leslie sound. For $19 I figured I just had to check it out. I was expecting nothing and ended up with a great Leslie pedal. For normal chorusing it is ok, but not on par with my Analogman Clone Chorus or my old Ibanez chorus, but for the Leslie vibe, it blows my these other two pedals away IMHO. This is the best $19 I have spent in a very long time. Now I am wondering like the starter of this thread, does the SCH-1 sound better for the Leslie stuff. I would easily pay $100 if it is better than this new $19 because then it must be really awesome because this cheapy is GREAT.

14. straightblues

straightblues Member

Bump for the morning crowd.

15. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

So how do you use it then? Direct or stereo? Output 1, 2 or both? How do you set the knobs?

Cheers,

Johan.

16. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I've owned a few sch 1's sold them in lean times...had one stolen. Just picked up a schz-1 for 19 bucks. You really can't beat this pedal and in my opinion it does a better chorus then the new Boss stuff. THe faux leslie is killer. I'm not hearing a ton of difference in tone from memory at least... great pedal great price..

17. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I'm thinking about picking one up. How is the tone suck? I figure this isn't a true bypass pedal.
    What the settings you guys are using for the leslie sound? I might go and try one out so I would like to have a good place to start with.

18. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

Those old arions were generally pretty bad but the Chorus effect was one they really got right

19. guitar_rockin

guitar_rockin Member

I don't use chorus much so I bought the SCH-Z since it was cheap. I liked it a lot. Too bad it quit working on me within 6 months. At the time I wasn't even giging so never left the house. Sounded nice but not very reliable. But what do you expect for $20?

20. indigloflow

indigloflow Guest

Hi, I'm a newbee here, been reading and appreciating for about a year, but this my first post. Anyway, I have used Sch-1's for about three years and love them. I think they work best for the faux leslie sound, especially in stereo. They are not as organic as other choruses. Tone can get very bright on the Sch-1. To me Sch-z didnt sound quite as good in strero. Just my two cents

"Penny for your thoughts, but you have to put cents in....hmmm somebody's making a penny!:BluesBros "