Arion SCH-1 died (now fixed!)...need chorus w/ faux leslie sounds

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DonaldDemon, Jan 18, 2015.

1. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

My signal started getting weak and distorted and I narrowed it down to that pedal which just decided to not turn on anymore. I haven't even owned it that long!

Short of fixing that thing, I'm wondering what other choruses do the faux leslie fast speed warble thing well. My AM Bi-chorus does it great but I can't afford one for my smaller board, looking for something cheaper, maybe <$125?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

TC Corona Chorus

It uses Toneprints, which you can load to the pedal using the phone app and (no kidding) holding it to your guitar's pickup. I loaded in a nice rotary that I believe was done by Joe Perry. Regardless, it sounds good and fits a narrow spacing. I picked mine up used for less than $100.

Worth checking.

3. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

4. jrw32

jrw32 Member

My Visual Sound Liquid Chorus does the faux leslie thing well, as well as a great chorus & phasery tones. All for well under your budget.

5. hamerman55

hamerman55 Silver Supporting Member

There is an update to the SCH-Z, which fixes the volume boost. It is the SCH-Zd. Amazon has them for well less than $100. I like mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I've been checking that out but I'm always so leary about digital chorus. I like a nice fat analog chorus sound.

7. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Don't know who would do that, any suggestions?

I was looking for them, looks like about $78 after shipping. Not bad. They are good as the old SCH-1?

8. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I would buy another Arion of find someone to fix yours. Personally I would not buy a digital chorus - to my ears there is a world of difference. A used AM mini chorus might be worth it - you could always resell it at no loss.

9. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

If my SCH-1 bit the dust, I'd fix it, even though I don't use it that much.
    It's a cool pedal. Makes everythins sound 80s, imo.
    I found a better faux leslie sound using a phase 90 in combination with tremolo one time. The trem was built into the Retro-King 18, very cool sounding. A touch of phase on top of it and I was there. Liked it better than the SCH-1.

10. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

To note, I only use it for a faux leslie with the rate up high. I actually don't think it sounds as good on slower speeds. If looking for a replacement, I'd probably go with the SCH-ZD over the original or SCH-Z, which has a volume boost apparently.

11. Sean

Sean Supporting Member

If you're willing to go $25 more, you can find an Analogman Mini chorus for $150 used if you sit and stalk the emporium on TGP.

12. Los Angeles

Los Angeles Member

First - there is no replacing arion chorus or flanger pedals. BELIEVE ME, I've tried absolutely everything. So you either get yours fixed or buy a replacement.

I think there is a guy in long beach, CA that mods arion pedals by making them true bypass and level knobs. I went this route with a flanger and am completely satisfied. I'll try and find a link.

13. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I like a little variety so I'll stay away from a second AM chorus

They do have their own unique thing, I agree. Let me know if you have their contact info. If not, I may just go with SCH-ZD

14. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure there's an sch-1 for sale in the emporium.

15. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

The old first version 18V Danelectro Cool Cat chorus did a pretty nice Leslie but I haven't compared it to the Arion

16. landru64

landru64 Member

why fix it? a used one is so cheap these days.... it wouldn't be worth it to fix.

aside from that, fwiw, i stopped using my sch1 after i got a retro sonic CE1

17. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I just bought a SCH-ZD for a good price, more curious how it stacks up to te old one. It's kind of crazy how much these once cheap pedals go for, I think I paid $60 for my SCH-1!

That was my first chorus and maybe one of the first pedals I owned! I didn't really use Leslie sounds then.I would grab one since they go for so cheap but the 18v makes it too difficult to integrate on my board.

Looks like they are still going for $100-$150. The Retro Sonic is nice but too much $$ for an effect I rarely use.

18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I love my Arion and I've tried a bunch of them. I have two, a Vertex and another modded one.

19. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Nothing sounds like the Arion! :)

I ordered a SCH-ZD the other day as well. I hope the bypass is better, but's probably not :p

Can't be many around outside Asia yet judging by YouTube.

Not the best audio quality on this clip I found, but it sure got the trademark Arion sound.