Arizona Self-Driving Uber struck and killed a pedestrian.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AXEnGEAR4J, Mar 19, 2018.

1. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Your perspective is as valid as mine, but we just don't agree. Fair enough.

2. John Hurtt

I spend 3-4 hours a day in the car commuting. It is a burden, and that time spent could be much better utilized if I didn't have to drive. I am not alone, there are tens of thousands of us in the Bay Area alone...and hundreds of thousands throughout the country.

3. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

I must assume you either don't use the public transport much, or haven't experienced a well functioning one. However, I agree this is a good place to let it go.
    I don't mean to steer the thread further off topic.

4. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Every day, every d@mn day on my commute, I see drivers doing 80+mph and not paying attention to the road. It boggles my mind.

I've seen distracted drivers luckily skirt certain death and not even look up from their phone.

How anyone rides a motorcycle anymore is beyond me.

John Hurtt and sundog964 like this.
  5. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

One by software is too many. Goodluck with your robot fantasy. I'll absolutely remain in control while I still can :)

BTW...I AM a computer programmer with a computer degree.

6. frankg11

frankg11 Member

pickaguitar -- I have alphabets from my computer degrees and I will never turn over control to a computer program. Even one that I wrote. I know too much about how bad software is. LOL

What we have is an early adopter problem in beta software running on the road at the moment. This category of software/sensor software is just too early in it's development to be put in an un-controlled environment.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

regardless of what you think you know, I actually am a tech, electronics technician, and programmer.

but you don’t have to be one to see how this all works, I’m writing on an iPad that is glitchy as hell (yet again) with a software update to 13.

This is not an isolated incident, virtually all complex systems the more they are developed the management style by people that are not technical, deadlines, inadequate testing. Wait as see.

in supporting a system for years now with many thousands of lines of code, written by different people, smart people, I see the most lazy, incredible bugs.

when you add the criteria for real-time decisions, it’s much worse.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Tomo El Gato and frankg11 like this.
  8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

you left out hardware. But even so your critical thinking skills are not evident here.

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  9. RJLII

RJLII Member

1) use public transport.
    2) move where the commute is shorter.
    3) get a different job where the commute is shorter.

10. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

The problem with that is the following:

Median price for home in Fremont, CA $1,075,500
    Median price for home in Tracy, CA $549,000

Also the type of jobs he is in are very specialized and mostly deeper in the Silicon Valley, so he's closer than most.

Not a lot of Public Transport either. Well, not true, there are about half a dozen different systems that don't work together and are stupidly placed all around the Bay Area.

We just moved 35 miles away from Silicon Valley, sold a 1,700 sqft house on a 6,500 sq ft lot, and bought a 3,600 sq ft house on a 18,000 foot lot for less money. So that is why.

John Hurtt and A-Bone like this.
  11. RJLII

RJLII Member

We choose what we choose.

12. John Hurtt

I asked a specific question about software, as that was the topic that was being discussed. My critical thinking skills are fine, but you have again reinforced your inability to have any real input to this topic...and have called into question your reading comprehension skills.

13. John Hurtt

Yes...we do. Besides what was pointed out above by @sundog964 there were other factors that my decision was based on. Your simplistic response really has no meaning, just fortune cookie rubbish.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

You keep saying things like this, making statements without reasoning behind them.

I actually know about needing software, difficulties, the state of programming at least in many, many places, the problems with input (sensors, cameras, etc.) maintenance, cost of maintenance, bugs.

Your rebuttal seems to be I shouldn’t have any input. Also software is excellent and totally dependable.

not much of a case.

pickaguitar and Tomo El Gato like this.
  15. RJLII

RJLII Member

Thanks for the insult. You have chosen your situation. Live with it or change it. If your locale and lifestyle is worth the ridiculously long commute, own it.

The_Whale likes this.