• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Ark Amplifiers ---Check Them Out---

parker

I don't know about you all, but I have been intrigued by Ark amps ever since I started seeing photos of them on the web and here on TGP. They are hands down the finest looking amps out there.

The talented Mr. Bill Compeau (Fyrwyr on TGP) decided to send me one to try out called the model A. The amp arrived promptly after.... here's where it gets interesting.

I switched on the amp and heard a buzzing, something I don't often hear in an amp, so I plugged in a Les Paul and was greeted with the most organic yet furious tones I've ever heard.... backing off the guitar volume the amp cleaned up into a beautiful sonorous, chimey clean.. but the buzzing was still there.

Long story short, I opened the back of the amp on Mr. Compeaus' prompting and found UPS had dropped the amp hard on its side, the transformer had sheared off and smashed one of the power tubes :FM here's what is so amazing...... the amp had been playing with one smashed tube and a ripped out transformer!! And it still sounded great!

Bill was kind enough to send me new EL-34's (again on his dime) which arrived after popping them in and re-tightening the transformer, I was rewarded with luscious clean tones, sweet in-between-break-up tones, and the loudest sweetest- trainwreck-ish distortions I've heard, the responsiveness of this amp is something to be heard! To my ear it takes all the great qualites of vintage Voxs' Fenders and Marshalls and serves up a unique tone of its own. If you've been intrigued by Ark Amps I would highly recommend dropping a line to Bill, you will be hard pressed to find a nicer person, and hard pressed to find a nicer looking and sounding amp.

Some obligatory pics:

dk123123dk

Wow!

I too have loved the look of these amps at TGP. I think if I were ever in the market for a boutique amp, I would take a hard look at an Ark Amp. I love the wooden knobs.

dk

fyrwyr

Ok you made me blush now, I hope your happy;)

Thanks for the nice review and for those killer pics!!!

Just a note to consider, that particular amp is called the Aviator, but it sounds the same as the Model A;)

Here is the Model A custom:

Off to Florida tommorrow, woohoo!!!!!

parker

Wow!

I too have loved the look of these amps at TGP. I think if I were ever in the market for a boutique amp, I would take a hard look at an Ark Amp. I love the wooden knobs.

dk
Actually, this one is a prototype. The production amps are even cooler! Do check them out if you can..

wedewer

Sorry, my friend, but if you want to people to pay attention to the amp, don't place it in front of that amazing view. I am too busy daydreaming about your backyard to think about amps.

tubeinmyhead

Silver Supporting Member
you've got one heckuva view, there, Parker!
Yes, I request... NAY, DEMAND... we all convene at your gazebo to discuss Bill's fine products. Tea and crumpets would be over kill (but whisky and snickers would be suggested) :AOK

All kidding aside - great amp, the ARK thing is really happening.

parker

You all are too funny! Anyhow, you never usually hear all about unique tones and products, I'm just sharing my enthusiasm for these fine tone machines....

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
That's a totally dazzling amp. I had it at my place for a few weeks just before my (now somewhat infamous) bypass operation at the end of September '08.

The Ark amps have one of the best Master Volume circuits I've ever heard anywhere. They're great amps, extremely touch sensitive, wonderful grind and wonderful chime. A totally useable, giggable 1 channel amp - sounds nearly as good at very low volume as it does up on the pipe.

Nice view, Parker!

Thanks, Dana O.

fyrwyr

That's a totally dazzling amp. I had it at my place for a few weeks just before my (now somewhat infamous) bypass operation at the end of September '08.

The Ark amps have one of the best Master Volume circuits I've ever heard anywhere. They're great amps, extremely touch sensitive, wonderful grind and wonderful chime. A totally useable, giggable 1 channel amp - sounds nearly as good at very low volume as it does up on the pipe.

Nice view, Parker!

Thanks, Dana O.
Thanks Dana and "Parker" you 2 have been wonderful to send demo's to!!!

Really appreciate the warm support we get from y'all;)

Off to Florida in a couple hours!!!!

Trending Topics