Arm Wrestling

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Fred Shredstone, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Fred Shredstone

Fred Shredstone Member

This video baffles me. Canadian arm-wrestling champ (225 lbs) easily beats strongman Hafthor Bjornsson (420 lbs).

Bjornsson is the guy that plays the Mountain on game of thrones. Is the smaller Canadian guy actually just stronger, or is it all technique? [Of course, either one of these guys could rip my arm right off my torso, regardless]. Any TGP guys knowledgeable and/or good at arm-wrestling? Discuss.

2. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

The documentary Pulling John is about World Champion arm wrestler John Brzenk.

It's actually pretty darned interesting and John looks like a strong guy, but not in a particular striking way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brzenk

Fred Shredstone likes this.
  3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Technique and leverage.

71strat, hobbyplayer and 65DuoSonic like this.
  4. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

This.

I actually live in a small city which is the former home of the World Wrist Wrestling Championships that was televised on ABC's Wide World of Sports. It was founded in 1953, but they moved it to Las Vegas after Bill passed away in 2003 IIRC. They actually erected a statue to commemorate the event and its creator, Bill Soberenes.

Anyway, I used to love watching both men and women compete. They came from countries all over the world, and there were some interesting characters too. What I liked most was seeing occasionally some big dude matched up against a lanky looking dude, and then see the lanky dude use great technique and speed to overcome brute strength. But there were a couple of instances where bones would break. That was pretty horrific to witness.

Fred Shredstone and derekd like this.
  5. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

can you leave your chair and basically crouch down with all your weight and pull from a lower center of gravity in a real match? looks fishy to me

6. Fred Shredstone

Fred Shredstone Member

Thanks for that Wiki link. Brzenk sounds pretty impressive. Interesting that he says the best training for arm-wrestling is pull-ups, not curls.

7. 71strat

71strat Member

Technique, Leverage, Specific Training.

Pullups put way more stress on the Fingers/biceps/forearms vs Curls.

Curls are an Isolation movement. Pullups require much more muscle recruitment vs Curls.

If you want to get your hands, biceps, forearms strong, work on all forms of pullups, and Rope Climbing, while using arms only, .including weight added.

The arm wrestler is also interested in... Internal Shoulder Rotation.

Also as hs been stated... Leverage plays a HUGE part in the ability to do certain things effectively.

The Strongman guy, may have better leverage for what he does, and the arm wrestler is also equally gifted.

Also IMHO the arm wrestler looks better developed, vs the strongman guy.

If the strongman was in as good condition vs arm wrestler, the strongman would be way lighter than what he is.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Fred Shredstone likes this.
  8. muzishun

muzishun Member

I have seen that! Terrible image but the sound is even more disturbing.

9. DetSlicker

DetSlicker Member

It's all in the hat.
    [​IMG]