Arpeggiating chord - how do you pick

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Jon, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jon

Jon Member

When picking out the notes of a chord, do you tend to stick to alternate picking or use all upstrokes or downstrokes depending on the direction e.g. when playing:

-----------------0------------------------
    --------------0-----0---------------------
    -----------0-----------0------------------
    --------2-----------------2---------------
    -----2-----------------------2------------
    --0-----------------------------0---------

would you ascend with all downstokes and descend with all upstokes or would you alternate pick the whole thing?

2. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

I would play that with a single downstroke to ascend and an upstroke to descend (economy picking). However, you can play it using alternate picking if you prefer.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

It depends on the sound I'm going for sometimes. But usually like SoulDriver described.

BTW, this is one of those examples of economy picking, but it's not sweep picking. I get into that argument all the time here with the so called experts. They say economy and sweep are the same, but it's not. You don't sweep pick that, you use separate strokes but in same direction. To me, that's different. Sorry to digress.

4. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Though I'm usually a staunch alternate picker (rhythmic—down on the beat, up off), no strict rule for chordal parts like that (I'm assuming it's an accompaniment). Oftentimes, I'll pick the lowest note down and all the rest get upstrokes.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  5. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

If I have to do it in time to a beat, I use alt. picking or hybrid picking. If it's an embellishment as part of a solo, then I'll sweep it.