Arrrrgh!! I need a distortion that don't cut bass!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rorschah, Dec 8, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

Arhghghghghghgh!

I just got my Catalinbread SCOD. And, it many ways, it's *great*. It does the heavily tranked tweed grit thing, it does the hyper-cranked Orange crunch/fuzz thing, it's nice and nasty and raw and everything I was hoping for except...

It cuts bass.

Totally.

Bass gone.

Half the reason I strap on the massive Ibanez Artist I have (12 freakin pounds, ladies and gentlemen!), half the reason I love p90s, is that big, rich, harmonically rich, full bass.

And it might be OK if the SCOD was just for lead stuff. But half the reason I got it is for, like, pounding away at rhythm you know, that big fat broken old garage blues shuffle. And it don't sound right with no bass.

What to next? I have a Timmy, so that works fine for low stuff. But for that high gain stuff? (And the SCOD is, personality-wise, right. Not the uber-metal stuff, or the bluesy tubescreamer stuff, but a raw, crunchy, tube-in-midst-of-self-destruct kinda thing.)

Eternity? Stacked Gainster? COT50? What'll work? I don't need exactly transparent bass, I just need some of that rich bass.

-thi

2. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

The Eternity is a good, no great choice. Another is the BB preamp. Its a great Distortion pedal that has tons of low end.

3. Tinman

Tinman Member

You may want to check out the analogman modded Boss BD-2. Tons o' bass.

4. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

The Eternity is killer. It was my experience that it did attenuate the bass a bit. The Timmy won't. Maybe a BJF Dyna Red?

5. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

:Devil What about stacking with the timmy, using the timmys eq.I have a tim and every distortion i put in front of it works real nice.Teleblaster

6. rorschah

rorschah Member

Re: stacking. I put a Sagrado Pablano (great bass/mid booster) in - tried both before and after the SCOD. Neither helps much. No matter how much bass you put in, it cuts it; and you can't boost what ain't there.

7. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I would say the BB pre, the SAgrado and FMD (stephesonamps.com) and the the hotcake are the only pedals that retain the bass. THe hotcake(cranked)and the bb pre are the only true distortion pedals whereas the other remaining 2 will just push your amp into Od/distortion....... THe BJF DRD is sweet but the bass notes on the 6 string are all mushy and fizzy, not open at all....

8. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i felt the exact same way about the SCOD, i'm gonna try out a series of BJF pedals hoping that i'll find the right one for me. My first 2 come within the next week. :) i'll let you know what i think

9. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

+1

i dont even use the bass boost switch

10. rorschah

rorschah Member

Not to say that SCOD isn't a fine pedal. It really is, if you don't need bass. But: I play in two-guitar, no bassist trio and when I'm playing rhythm, I need to cover bassist-esque territory on the spectrum. And am also trying to get some folks i know into a Earth/Boris/etc. style thing that is all about low-frequency drone. So no bass is bad, bad, bad.

-thi

11. JPenn

JPenn Member

The Emma Reezafratzitz has plenty of lowend. I keep the bass on my HR Dlx turned off with this pedal.

I'm sure the BB Pre has plenty of lowend since it has a bass knob.

12. baald

baald Member

if you otherwise dig the SCOD, what about talking to caitalinbread and see if they can mod it? it might be as simple as changing a cap. or have you already tried that? i certainly wouldn't hesitate talking to some of the smaller builders like this when something is almost but not *quite* right. won't hurt anyway :)

13. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Why not put an EQ pedal after the distortion? I do this frequently if a pedal has the character of distortion that I want, but doesn't have quite the EQ that I'm looking for.

Bryan

14. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

Have you tried the Tube Zone by MI Audio? A pedal from a low overdrive to a very heavy overdrive/distortion. Very tweakable. Internal brightness and bass character controls. The bass can be tweaked from tight (modern) to a fatter and looser bass (more vintage). In addition to that there's a 3-way mid switch which has settings for scooped mids, flat mids and a little mid-hump. Very versatile box which retains your bass if you want it. Check out the site if you haven't already done that.
    http://www.miaudio.com

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I was just going to suggest this...except, BEFORE distortion.

Because Rorschah said he liked his P90's, I'm saying he could use a GE-7 or other EQ before, boost the frequencies that are getting lost, then into the dist pedal.

The reason I think this makes more sense is...if the Dist takes away some frequencies, you gotta boost them again, but it has attenuated them, they then get changed more than if you boost them (or cut the others slightly) into the dist pedal it will be emphasising the "real" and present frequencies.

Maybe it is close to the same, but I jsut think keeping it intact from the start better than trying to "Make up" on the other side.

16. PaulC

PaulC Member

The EQ idea is how I'd do it, but I'd go after the box. The reason is when you have alot of bass before you clip the signal you get alot of low end mud. Putting the bass boost after the distortion lets you keep the tight and focused sound while adding the bottom you need. What works great for me is to get/make a small loop pedal with the distortion and the EQ in it. That way you just turn on the loop for both pedals, or turn it off to bypass both with one stomp. Of course having EQ control before and after pedals is where it's really at!

Later, PaulC

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Okay...my anser was theoretical, but it didn't take into account what you mentioned. I'd try it both ways actually.

On another thread about the Zendrive, I was asking about something similar actually. Because I ordered one and was wondering about this...I have a Jekyll & Hyde I really love the sound of, but when I put my GE-7 buffered EQ before the pedal, I lose the control I had with the gain, using my guitars' vol pot. Noticably. So I ended up using the GE-7 actually in the effects loop...tried it several places and just liked it there best, at least for now.

If you guys are at all like me....it is an enormous job to try and figure out which order works best. Seems like one day I like one way, another day another.

So I may move the EQ pedal again. Generally speaking, IF I used it in front of a distortion, I would cut instead of boost, then possibly boost the whole signal a little with the main vol control. But as I said, your point is well taken, using it on the other side. Again though, you can try either cutting non-bass freq.s and boosting a little the whole spectrum, OR simply raising the right bassy freqs' and may need to cut the spectrum (main vol on the EQ).

SO MANY OPTIONS...

18. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Hey fellow TopHat'er! I wonder if your Eternity is a little different?? I have two Eternity's and both have at least unity bass, maybe boost bass just a tad. It's still an OD so it doesn't have massive bass, like how much my Tonebone can have or the OCD.

In other words, Eternity is my suggestion if you still want to retain the clarity of an Overdrive.

Eternity Sound Sample through several applications...

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3175856&q=hi

19. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

The best overdrive pedal I've heard at preserving bass response is the DyTone Ooh Drive II. It can go from clean boost, through overdrive, to distortion with great dynamics and articulation all along the way. The higher gain settings tend to add a lot of presence like a modern Marshall.

20. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Emma ReezFratzitz has a very warm low end but might
    be a bit high gain for your needs.
    I would be inclined to go with PaulC's solution.