ART SGX 2000

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Technica, May 9, 2018.

1. drewl

drewl Member

A bandmate had the black and pink version, two of them actually.

Probably the way it was set up, but man that thing sounded horrible. Clean sound I can only describe as strumming reverb tank springs. SPROING!
    Distortions were thick mud. Yeah, it would sustain for days, but horrible muddy sound.
    Did not sit well in a band setting, didn't cut through, and sound guys would complain to me how bad it sounded.

I'm sure it could have sounded better if programmed better.

3dognate, Mosher Zone and ctreitzell like this.
  2. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Member

Wow. "a blast from the past".
    I still have my SGX-T2 somewhere, but I think last time I used it was at least 10 years ago.
    I bought it in 1993 or 1994, and back then it was like buying a flight ticket to the future.
    All these effects in one box, with really nice pitch shifter (relatively rare effect back then)
    I remember 3 things that I really didn't like about it:
    1) Distortions were horrible
    2) A very long noticeable delay when switching between presets.
    3) When using the rocker on the X-15 foot controller, you could hear the "steps" in the value changed.
    It wasn't a "wah-wah", it was "wah, value of filter change, tiny-pause, wah...", many micro-wahs that repeat.
    I still can't imagine how they've programmed all these effects with (no)IDE and compilers of 1992-1993,
    probably with Emacs or vi.
    I think they were ahead of their time, hardware was not ready yet.

ctreitzell likes this.
  3. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

I have an Express with the X15 pedal, but I can't recall the last time I used it. I just remember that with very careful tweaking I could get ONE great tone out of it, otherwise not so great. For its day it was the gizmo to have. I might have to smoke test it....

4. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

yep, X-15 has clear plastic strips with black lines printed on
    I guess the sensor is optical and the black lines pass between the light and sensor as the pedal travels.
    it is pretty low res. One of the strips on my X-15 was kinked when I bought it, and just got worse over time. I gave that tank away to a charity shop in 2016.

Aren't the programs in hex?

JohnnyD likes this.
  5. Mosher Zone

Mosher Zone Member

Wow, pretty sweet, I remember lusting after the pink/black version in magazines. I had a Multiverb with the X 11 controller, my first rack unit but as some stated the delay between programmes was annoying so I traded it for a brand new Digitech TSR12 which was pretty instant with switching. How is the switching gap on this newer version?

ctreitzell likes this.
  6. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

I haven't tried it with a midi controller yet.When I bought my original SGX-2000 and X-15 I remember trying to use the CC pedal with the pitch shifter to do a Whammy effect and instead of being smooth it moved in steps.So I called ART to ask WTF?They said a lot of people bought the X-15 to use with older units and it would overload their midi input buffers.So they put in an adjustable delay so the buffers would have time to process the commands before more midi data was sent.On my original X-15 the delay was 400 milliseconds,I believe the latest versions were 80 milliseconds.So right out of the box you need to set the "inter message delay" to 0,this is on page 6 of the owners manual.

Mosher Zone likes this.
  7. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Member

Yes, you are right, I remember these plastic strips.
    Except for these strips, the whole thing was built like a tank.

ctreitzell likes this.
  8. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

For the DIYer in you, the X15 has some uses.

Eons ago, I bought one of these to make into an expander for an Axess MFC5. As the Axess piece could send out 8CC's per preset (on or off), and the MIDI in of the X15 could recieve those messages. The X15 was designed for two way MIDI comms with those crappy rack units, so I manipulated that feature.

I did rig it up and it all worked great, but stopped short of making an actual "expander" enclosure to re-house the X15. So if you guys are using something like the MFC5 (Morning Star small footcontroller comes to mind), the X15 can be turned into an expander.

As for the pedals with the encoder strips, they were designed really for a photo copier IIRC. Think the chips were made by Sharp when I cracked it open.

amphog, JohnnyD and ctreitzell like this.
  9. bobmann

bobmann Member

ART SGX 2000
    Would anyone know how to transfer or copy all of the presets from 1 ART SGX 2000 to another ART SGX 2000. I have the manual and followed the instructions on page 19 with no luck. Trying to created a backup unit and also save all my presets not to loose them. Thanks, bob

10. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

Just use the computer editor for the SGX-2000,SGX2000E:
    http://www.gt1.info/art/sgx2000/

amphog likes this.
  11. mikeSF

mikeSF Member

I recently fired up my old 80's gigging rack to use in a production of The Wedding Singer.
    Was amazed that the SGX T2 still has all the custom presets I created. I ran just the time based effects via an effects loop from my rack preamp and the ART unit performed beautifully. For short/long delays, reverb, a subtle octave down, and an auto-wah effect, it did the job.

I never unboxed the X15 foot controller, but have it too.

Coalface1971 likes this.
  12. ReVv LuVv

ReVv LuVv Member

I like it.. How much??

13. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

I bought an ART SGX 2000 when it came out. Still have it but I haven't plugged it in many years. I loved it in the 90's, the effects where cool and the preamp didn't sound that bad. I really don't have any use for it any more... or my POD.. or my VAmp Pro... or my DigiTech GSP1101 ;)

14. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

I recently dug out my old SGX2000 and it sounded worse than I remembered. Some of the effects are okay, but the distortions are super cheesy. I guess I’m spoiled by newer technology like the Helix. Still a fun unit to play with.

15. 3dognate

3dognate Member

Same here... had a band mate with one when we first started trying to go direct. The SGX sounded horrible direct... You could do okay with it if you ran it into a tube power amp and to a traditional cabinet. But direct it was just bluh.

I dove in with GSP1101 and killed his SGX direct and otherwise. But then again the SGX wasn't really designed to run direct though they tried to make it possible.

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

I have one of these too, w/x-15.
    Got it a long while back, slightly used, after trying a bunch of other stuff aimed at the same market.
    I was convinced that this was the best unit and I could make it sound great and with performance MIDI have super flexible tone.
    Hours and hours of tweaking and I could never get it quite 'there.'

Close, but not better than other stuff, and the MIDI setup actually proved to be cumbersome instead of liberating and flexible.
    I think I got a Marshall JMP-1 about the same time, too, (before or after?) and it wouldn't fly either. It was even more of a buzzbox.
    An ADA might have been better at basic tones that I was seeking but I was suckered in by more FX and flashing LED's.:rolleyes:
    I can get the ART to 'ok' tone.