ART Tube PAC?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by guitguy28, Feb 6, 2008.

1. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

I've got a very basic digital recording setup- Cubase, Alesis Digital mixer/USB interface, Sennheiser dynamic, Studio Projects B-1 condenser.

I'm curious about compression. Would something like that ART Tube PAC work for not only "tube warmth", but for being a good compressor as well?

I would record vocals, hand drums and percussion, acoustic guitar, bass and electric guitar with it. Basically, it would be a workhorse compressor for a cheap newbie studio.

Is it any good?

2. moody07747

moody07747 Member

IMO any hardware lower than $500 isnt all that great and will generally be about the same no matter what you pay for.

I however have that $70 cheap MTR studio V3 preamp which contains a preamp tube. Now it does use a starved plate setup, (as most lower end tube setups will) but I found that replacing the cheap tube in it took away a lot of the noise it had originally) I do get some warmth with the preamp but not much since its not fully using the tube.

I would suggest sticking with software FX but if you really want, give the product a try and see if you like it. Guitar Centers normally have a lot of gear you can try but I'm not sure if they carry that product.

edit, you may also want to read this review:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/ART/Tube-Pac-rev.html

3. in a little row

in a little row Member

I have found that particular pre to be noisy and not very warm

j

4. ricoh

ricoh Member

Look into a GT Brick. It can be used for any number of applications.
    I have a bunch of ART products. I have achieved decent results with them but found the Brick to be more useful for my needs.

5. cochese

cochese Member

Having both a GT Brick and Art Tube MP I've found the Brick to be a much better sounding unit due to the design and also having a transformer out. Accoriding to an email I received from Groove Tubes the Brick does not operate it's tubes at high voltage.

The Art Tube Pac as I recall has an opto compressor and it's actually pretty decent considering the price of the unit.

6. 6789

6789 Member

I've used ART Tube PACs for several years and I really like them. THe compression works well for me and I can turn up the gain and overdrive the signal if I want. I think they work great. I haven't had any problems with them.

7. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I have gotten, I thought, very good results with the ART on vocals. I guess my ears suck.