ART Voice Channel with Inserted Tube Compressor?

Danyosound

I have an ART Voice Channel that I've been enjoying for a while. There aren't many reviews, positive or negative, on it; the difference between this channel strip and something better seems to be thousands of dollars.

I have the opportunity to buy a $500 LA2A clone (not Klark), and I was thinking of inserting it between the pre-Amp and compressor section of the Voice Channel. The reason is because I've read and seen lots of videos that recommend a slow attack compressor into a fast attack compressor (LA2A into 1176), and this seems to be an affordable way to get it done in a garage studio.
I'm mostly interested in getting vocals to sit well in a mix.

I don't know if this idea is overkill. Even though I've been doing the solo home studio thing for a while, I still feel like noob. Am I on to a stupid idea?

Please respond only if you have familiarity with the Voice Channel, or if you have experience inserting a compressor in this way.

My Gear
2020 iMac (Reaper, FabFilter Mastering Bundle), Roswell K47 mic, ART Voice Channel, PreSonus Studio 6|8, Adam Audio T7V.

roverdog

I sort of do what you want to do. mic into preamp, preamp to a Warm Audio LA2 clone, Pultec Clone then 1176 Clone. I like the results and I can switch up the order of the warm audio stuff.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
there's nothing wrong with that. if the channel has an insert then that's what it's designed for.

Trending Topics