Article: Getting Your Effects In Order

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kewlpack, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Kewlpack

Kewlpack Member

This might be helpful to guys who are new to guitar effects and how to set them up properly...

A Thanksgiving effects article!!!! w00t!

Read the article

As always - feedback is welcome and appreciated.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey dude. Great article. I, as well as I suspect the lions share of the members here, know most of that stuff, but it's definitely great for a few things I wasn't sure of (reverb after delay, eh?) and to direct newbies to.

Keep it up!

At the risk of raising the ire of many people, how about doing a mod shootout similar to your multifx one? This can keep you occupied for weeks, with doing sd-1 mods, then ds-1 mods, ge-7 mods, etc from keeley, AM, tone-jam, indyguitarist, monteallums, whoever.

3. Kewlpack

Kewlpack Member

Man I'd love to do a shoot out of other things - but $$$ makes that pretty much impossible.

I can't afford to do it. If the various mfg's would spot me review units for a month or so then something could be done... as it is - I doubt they even know about the site! :rolleyes:

But other shoot outs would be fun to do, yep.

4. Kewlpack

Kewlpack Member

5. simeon

simeon Member

i'd also add that personally, i find placing a compressor after an envelope filter or auto wah achieves much better results than placing it before....just my 2 cents...

sim

6. stratofied

stratofied Member

7. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

Not that anyone needs to 'second' Splatt, but I learned the wet signal lesson the hard way in a recent mixdown. I worked up a cool chimey, echo-ey twelve string Rick intro through my reverb and delay units. The engineer said 'oh we'll add all that later and it will ruin the tone'

The little voice was saying 'bad idea' but I went with it to be agreeable and not start an argument, kill the vibe, etc...

sho-nuff, never really captured it later, I sat there with the engineer, more this less that, no bring up the dry signal a bit more, etc. etc. I wish I had just said "lets split it once into my pedal board, it'll only take a minute"

Live and learn...I guess if you're hearing the sound in your head, unless you're going to be adding the effect yourself later, you better give the engineer that sound or be prepared to live without it.

8. Kewlpack

Kewlpack Member

Good feedback - thanks.

Yeah - getting more than one version of the same track gives you many more options when it comes time for the mix.

Good point. :)

9. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

A belated thanks fr that article. It is edumacating me :D

10. andrewnielson

andrewnielson Member

man thats great! thanks for posting all of that!