• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Article: Gibson Guitar Is a Remarkably Unpopular Company

e???

Wow. I knew Henry J was nuts, but now he's on drugs too??! Man I bet that guy has some serious fun once in a while... all jacked up and jamming super 400's with e tuners, running Gibson into the ground... I bet he throws some great parties though! crazy!

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
OK, this is the report that finally got to me. How could I have been so blind for so long?

I am taking all my Gibsons to Goodwill then killing myself.

It is only honorable thing to do.

winstabull

SO this woman comes from the UK to interview at Gibson and she can't take a test because of Tinder messages? Gibson may suck, but so does she.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
Take the article with a grain of salt. The CEO is a psycho prick but the article is a tabloid hatchet job on Gibson.

radicool

I just put new strings on both my Les Paul and SG - was planning on taking them to rehearsal this week. Guess not...those guitars suck.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I just put new strings on both my Les Paul and SG - was planning on taking them to rehearsal this week. Guess not...those guitars suck.
Hey if the lifestyle brand thing works for you, don't worry about it.

[J.K.]

I mentioned this in another topic post, but if you follow the more-than-supernumerary accounts of Gibson's problems—from production to management and politics—and still find yourself supplying caveats on their behalf, you are irredeemably brain-dead.
That people would hold a capital goods manufacturer to a different standard than any organization is beyond misguided, and is broadly, perhaps, a good example of erosive American double-standards.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
I interviewed with them back in the early 2000s; drove down to Nashville from Louisville, stayed overnight to spend the day there. Never did get to meet Henry - supposedly he cancelled his quick "meet and greet" with me to fly out to Bozeman for some crisis, but I did meet with 2 marketing execs (CMO and VP) and a product manager, and got the nickel tour. It sounds like things haven't changed there at all - except for the personnel. I came away thinking 3 things about them: their goal was to be a "lifestyle brand" like Harley or Nike; Henry was very difficult to work for; and that the majority of the craftspeople on the floor were dedicated and committed to building great guitars. Personally I think their "lifestyle" focus is why we are now seeing the crazy changes at Gibson USA - their most important lines are Ephiphone (sell a bunch, bring in the new players) and the Historics (aspirational models) so they feel free to experiment more with the "core" line - as in "if you want a Gibson this is what we have this year".

I say supposedly Henry had to go elsewhere; I think they just decided that a self-professed "guitar guy" with the bulk of their experience in financial services/insurance/media wasn't needed when they wanted someone with CPG/lifestyle brand experience so it wasn't worth Henry's time - even though this was a Marketing Research position so knowing the techniques is really more important than deep category experience (as someone who has changed categories a few times). It hasn't stopped me from owning Gibsons since then - even though they do still owe me about $100 for gas, mileage and that hotel room.

Last edited:

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I just played a show with a guitarist who has spent the last few years working for Gibson. He said that everything you read and hear with regards to working there is true. He said that Henry is an AWFUL person.

Custom50

OK, this is the report that finally got to me. How could I have been so blind for so long?

I am taking all my Gibsons to Goodwill then killing myself.

It is only honorable thing to do.
this post pretty much sums up how I feel. First I've heard of this!

Yet somehow they continue to produce guitars and people keep buying their $15,000 signed, tribute, aged burst, RI, cloud 9, blues special, southern rock les pauls...and yes i'm a gibson fanboy and I own a bunch of them. I'm part of the problem.

Funny how some businesses are operated by the nicest people, the hardest workers and talented and clever and they still go out of business fairly quickly.

Other outfits (like Gibson) could probably be mismanaged twice as bad and still not get into that much financial trouble. Life (and business) is just unfair that way. People who feel this article has exposed the Titanic in its last hours of seaworthiness are mistaken IMO.

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
Take the article with a grain of salt. The CEO is a psycho prick but the article is a tabloid hatchet job on Gibson.
Well, hatchet job or not, it certainly seems to capture the general feeling I see about the 2015 here at TGP and pretty much everywhere else.

Trending Topics