Article on the current Austin music scene...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 84Bravo, Jun 3, 2015.

1. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

2. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

No surprises. Could be anywhere USA

3. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Factual article but its not really news. Its been this way for....forever?

4. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

A "thriving music scene" needs to favor musicians, audience and venues. If any of those three are pressured, things go down.

Musicians need cheap, cheap rent, flexible jobs, and places where they can rehearse loudly and cheaply.

The audience needs to be a mass of teens and twenty somethings looking for action. A good sized city and/or a big state university or two helps.

The venues need to not obsessively worry about noise ordinances and underage serving hassles and be concentrated where the audience is and wants to go. If they get priced out by yuppie services (expensive bars, condos, restaurants), it falls apart.

Supportive radio and press also still helpful, even in the internet age.

Very difficult to legislate those circumstances since they run contrary to "Make every piece of land skyrocket in value", which is the chamber of commerce SOP.

5. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I lost a gig the weekend before last (just west of the Austin border) because neighbors complained about the noise, and got the venue's noise permit pulled. This was a Saturday night outdoor gig that ended at 10pm. My first thought was, that is not the spirit of Austin. Our slogan went from the "Live Music Capital of the World" to "Shhhh! It's Saturday night at 8pm and I'm trying to watch TV in here!!!!" Sad.